IGNORED

DIY Project High Performance Audio PC with high quality wiring

56 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

Any Intel equivalent for @StreamFidelity's 9900k?

On ASUS mainboards there are settings for the maximum power:

- I have the power consumption at 120W with max. 160W limited

Other possible settings support this:

- Set all cores to a CPU fixed frequency, for me 4.1GHz has proven itself.
- The CPU i9-9900K can up to max. 100 ° C operated. Way to high. I have a max. Temperature set at 95 ° C.
- Possibly undervolting with BLCK Aware Adaptive Voltage.

Look my BIOS settings.

On 4/29/2020 at 6:39 PM, ASRMichael said:

I can’t find anything on Asus website 

Unfortunately I cannot answer this question either. The CPU i9-9900K doesn't support ECC.

3 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

We removed for this wiring
- 3.2 CPU EPS 8 PIN
and added a second fis audio cable instead
- DC Output 12V Male DC (2.5x5.5mm) --- Molex 8 PIN

Excellent post as usual!! thank you for the detailed explanations.

I have a quick question, how many amps did the EPS  12v use?

5 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

Sound Report : Test PC/ATX Cable and DC Cable

Please be careful. This report is getting a little longer. 😄

Test requirements

When performing a test, it is always important to describe the requirements and the test procedure. The claim was clearly not a scientific one. No blind test was carried out either. Bernd and I describe a subjective listening impression. The fis Audio PC can sound completely different in another room with another system. We heard with the following devices:

38420646sf.png

First I did the hearing test alone and took notes. The next day Bernd did the same hearing test without knowing my notes.

We heard a small selection of well-known music.

38420683rx.png

All tracks were sent by Roon (in the Control PC) in native resolution to the HQPlayer (in the fis Audio PC) via Ethernet. In HQPlayer the conversion to DSD 256x48 was carried out with the extremely precise ASDM7EC modulator. Poly-sinc-ext2 was selected as the filter and poly-sinc-mqa-lp for HiRes. The room correction (convolution) was activated.

We carried out the cable test in the same order:

1. Test fis audio cable computer and DC completely
2. Test standard cable computer and DC completely

3. Exchange of individual cables
3.1 ATX 24 PIN (Molex 24P --- Molex 24P)
3.2 CPU EPS 8 PIN (Molex 8P --- Molex 8P)
3.3 DC Input 20V (Female DC (7.4 / 5.0) --- Molex 6P and DC Output 20V Male DC (2.5x5.5mm) --- Male DC (7.4x5.0mm))
We could only carry out this test with two cables, since the fis Audio DC cable is continuous:
DC Output 20V Male DC (2.5x5.5mm) --- Molex 6
3.4 DC Output JCAT USB EX 5V (USB Type-A --- Male DC (2.1x5.5mm))
3.5 DC Output JCAT NET FEMTO 5V (USB Type-A --- Male DC (2.1x5.5mm))

4. Test fis audio cable computer and DC complete with 2 Keces P8 (20V / 8A & 12V / 8A)

This is the ultimate expansion stage, with a separate power supply for the CPU.

Test execution

And now we finally get to the listening results. I would like to say in advance that I am a layperson compared to Bernd. Bernd is a sound engineer and therefore knows what to look out for. Our auditory impressions largely coincided independently of one another! I give the key words listed separately.

1. Test fis audio cable computer and DC completely

Me: defined deep bass, lots of spatial information (3D), 0.00% sharpening, great transients, lots of fine information

Bernd: Flawless, the sound is great, very good tonality, in this room it was the best one so far.

2. Test standard cable computer and DC completely

Ich: Bass thickened, imprecise, no spatiality, sharpening

Bernd: slow fat bass, no precision, hard sound on the piano

Interim conclusion

In this clarity we didn't expect the difference between standard and fis audio cabling. We completely agreed that we didn't want to listen to music with the standard cables. We estimate SQ (Sound Quality) increase with high-quality cables at a high +30% to + 40%!

Now we were very interested in which cables represent an essential sound brake. The Audio PC was again completely equipped with fis audio cable and then replaced individually with the standard cable.

3.1 ATX 24 PIN

I: sharpen

Bernd: there is a clear lack of musicality and speed, little space

3.2 CPU EPS 8 PIN

Me: less space, unsightly transients

Bernd: massive loss of dynamics, piano has hardness, less space, queasy bass

3.3 DC input 20V

Me: digital hardness, less space, less timbres

Bernd: very strong loss of dynamics, crooked sound, space ok but limited

3.4 DC output JCAT USB EX 5V

Me: digital hardness, sharpening, less space

Bernd: significantly less space, piano blaring, annoying, speed and audibility ok

3.5 DC output JCAT NET FEMTO 5V

Me: slight deterioration in sound

Bernd: a touch of space and dynamism is lost

Interim conclusion

While Bernd and I were again clearly apart in terms of the sound effects, there were different assessments regarding the degree of sound effects. I saw the strongest sonic effects equally with the following cables:

- 3.3 DC input 20V and
- 3.4 DC Output JCAT USB EX 5V

Then in descending order:

- 3.2 CPU EPS 8 PIN,
- 3.1 ATX 24 PIN
- 3.5 DC output JCAT NET FEMTO 5V

With the last cable Bernd and I noticed the least impact. Here I would like to point out the special feature of our setup. We transmitted the data to the DAC via USB. In systems with data transmission via Ethernet to the DAC, this can lead to a completely different classification.

Now to Bernd's order. He heard the biggest impact:

- 3.1 ATX 24 PIN

Closely followed by:
- 3.3 DC input 20V and
- 3.2 CPU EPS 8 PIN.

The least impact was:
- 3.5 DC output JCAT NET FEMTO 5V

And the cable
- 3.4 DC Output JCAT USB EX 5V
said Bernd, that runs outside of the competition. Anyone who buys such a high-quality card and then saves on the power supply is wasting a lot of SQ!

4. Test fis audio cable computer and DC complete with 2 Keces P8 (20V / 8A & 12V / 8A)

We removed for this wiring
- 3.2 CPU EPS 8 PIN
and added a second fis audio cable instead
- DC Output 12V Male DC (2.5x5.5mm) --- Molex 8 PIN

The circuit diagram shows the connections.

38420711zk.png

Me: a little more of everything, more space

Bernd: more space, more dynamics, more pulse speed, more resolution, very good voice.

Interim conclusion

We were both very excited. Bernd even more than me. I estimated the SQ increase at + 10% to + 20%, Bernd even at + 20% to 30%! Maybe I have already got used to the good sound, since I have only been listening to two Keces P8 for days. It was completely new for Bernd.

Summary of all tests:

It shows again how important a good power supply is. The electricity has to be transported by cable. The effects of good quality cables in an Audio PC are greater than we previously suspected. Bernd and I rated the cables as particularly relevant in terms of SQ

- DC input 20V and
- CPU EPS 8 PIN

With the cable

- ATX 24 PIN

our opinions differed somewhat in the prioritization, but not in the sound effects as such. There are 24 wires with different voltages for the mainboard, which require high quality.

Anyone who uses a high-quality JCAT USB CARD XE in the Audio PC should definitely choose the best cabling

- DC Output JCAT USB EX 5V

for the external power supply.

A direct power supply to the CPU, bypassing the DC / ATX converter, again brings a significant increase in SQ.

Everything as usual without guarantee. 😉

Outstanding report! Very useful.

22 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

Sound Report : Test PC/ATX Cable and DC Cable

Thanks for that. How long you run the fis cables before start comparing them with standard cables?

Aqua Acoustics La Voce + Gato Audio AMP-150 + Opera Callas speakers

Audio PC LPS+Neutrino clock+SoTm USBexp + Win10 + Fidelizer Pro

@rafa The fis audio cables were in continuous operation for a week. Bernd generally burns cables intensively before delivery.

53 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

@rafa The fis audio cables were in continuous operation for a week. Bernd generally burns cables intensively before delivery.

His web page doesn't say anything about pc cables.

I sent him message but before he respond, how long you were waiting for cables?

Aqua Acoustics La Voce + Gato Audio AMP-150 + Opera Callas speakers

Audio PC LPS+Neutrino clock+SoTm USBexp + Win10 + Fidelizer Pro

3 hours ago, rafa said:

His web page doesn't say anything about pc cables.

That was the point of the project: to develop high quality PC / ATX cables. I'am very pleased with how well he did it. Since the PC / ATX and DC cables are still brand new, you won't find them on his homepage.

I already use some cables from Bernd and I have been friends with him for some time. He lives in Berlin like me and he is an cable-obsessed. 😄

In order not to give the wrong impression: I don't earn anything from his cables.

12 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

That was the point of the project: to develop high quality PC / ATX cables. I'am very pleased with how well he did it. Since the PC / ATX and DC cables are still brand new, you won't find them on his homepage.

I already use some cables from Bernd and I have been friends with him for some time. He lives in Berlin like me and he is an cable-obsessed. 😄

In order not to give the wrong impression: I don't earn anything from his cables.

Can you post Bernd website or contact email?

And another message to the upsampling fans. 😃

With the right settings in HQPlayer, DSD 1024 plays stutter-free on the fis Audio PC. As far as I know, this was only possible with CUDA (i.e. in combination with a powerful graphics card).

38490648ol.png