IGNORED

DIY Project High Performance Audio PC with high quality wiring

2 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

Today the USB Card XE arrived. As usual from JCAT in simple cardboard box and low & high profile bracket. The latter is pre-assembled.

38312394ip.jpeg

For the first time, the JCAT USB Card has a heat sink.

38312395to.jpeg

As usual, there are two USB ports and one port for the external 5V/1A power supply that I use.

38312396pl.jpeg

Of course I installed the new USB card right away and it worked. The card has been playing for several hours and I listen carefully. Although it burns in my fingers to write now something to the sound. 😄But I hold back as usual. The sound report and a comparison to the JCAT USB Card Femto will follow. 

Thanks for the report! Please keep us posted :) 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

My build is complete but before writing up my experience and impressions, I’m wondering if StreamFidelity or others can help identify whether I’ve done something wrong while assembling the case.  Posting publicly in case this is helpful to other first time assemblers.

I followed StreamFidelity’s postings in almost all details except that the motherboard is the cheaper Asus Hero WiFi version.  Also my build is Roon Core plus HQplayer on a single device which is sent to a SMS200.

My issue is that my CPU temperature is pushing 95C when upsampling to DSD256, ASDM7EC, while StreamFidelity’s temp was reported in the low 50s.  Filter is poly sinc ext2.  I also tried the mp filter in StreamFidelity’s image a few pages back.  I used the thermal paste that came with the case.  I tried to apply just a thin layer in the case’s grooves per the manual, as well as in the heatsink’s grooves where the copper piping rests.  I used a pea sized drop for the CPU.

Anything jump out in images below?

C59B393D-F58C-40DE-AE9A-0D508E52043A.jpeg

6EC1A3ED-628B-48C5-A781-068340541DB5.jpeg

2 hours ago, WilliamWykeham said:

My issue is that my CPU temperature is pushing 95C when upsampling to DSD256, ASDM7EC, while StreamFidelity’s temp was reported in the low 50s.

Was the thermal paste compound also applied to the solid copper block? I didn't use the paste from HDPLEX. 

Maybe it is not a problem of assemblings, but of the settings in BIOS? My overclocking ends at 4.1GHz. Which consumers are still active on maindboard? SATA drives for example draw a lot of power. I have deactivated this. 

Such a remote diagnosis is difficult. The temperature should not go that high. 

3 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

Was the thermal paste compound also applied to the solid copper block? I didn't use the paste from HDPLEX. 

Maybe it is not a problem of assemblings, but of the settings in BIOS? My overclocking ends at 4.1GHz. Which consumers are still active on maindboard? SATA drives for example draw a lot of power. I have deactivated this. 

Such a remote diagnosis is difficult. The temperature should not go that high. 

I applied thermal paste only to the CPU and not to the solid surface of the heat sink - this is the only instance where I departed from the manual, and was based on tutorials I watched online about applying thermal paste.

After thinking about this some more, I believe the issue is that I did not apply enough thermal paste to the CPU.  It was several weeks ago, but I think I may have allowed the guidance against applying too much to have led to apply not enough.

I will likely order some high quality paste and disassemble the heat sink in the next week or so to redo.  In the meantime I’ll upsample to 128.  

SATA is disabled.  I had forgotten that I boosted the CPU frequency to 4.4 as I was getting dropouts at 256 with the EC modulator.  Nevertheless, when I was listening to 128 with the CPU at 4.1 and not getting dropouts, the CPU temperature was in the mid-70s, so still too hot relative to your build.  128 sounded so good, I just had to hear 256!

Just a quick update - I discovered that the dropouts were occurring because of Roon.  I noticed in Task Manger that while a Roon window was active, the “3D” GPU graph would show 50%.  Minimize the window, usage goes to zero and the dropouts stop.   I’ve been listening for the last 20 minutes, a 44.1khz, 16bit file upsampled to DSD 256, poly-sinc-ext2, ASDM7EC (Zhu Xiao-Mei).  Amperage on the Keces fluctuates anywhere between 3.0 and 4.0.  Temperature ranges between 70-75 C at 4.1GHz.  Not high enough I think for me to redo the heatsink.  Maybe I’ll investigate Bios some more.  

13 hours ago, WilliamWykeham said:

I noticed in Task Manger that while a Roon window was active, the “3D” GPU graph would show 50%.  

Is the graphics driver up-to-date? How many processes are displayed in the Task Manager? Check Latencymon to see if audio can be executed without interference. 😉

10 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

Is the graphics driver up-to-date? How many processes are displayed in the Task Manager? Check Latencymon to see if audio can be executed without interference. 😉

Interestingly Task Manager said the graphics driver was the most recent, but Intel’s website said it was 6 months outdated.  So I’ve updated but Roon still sucks up GPU resources, only when viewing albums (not when I’m in Settings for instance).

But my bigger issue now is that in my one-box implementation direct to the dac, I need a replacement for Wasapi but AISO is taken by the dac.  I’m trying to compare PCM to DSD in the same implementation.  In a 2 box implementation, I can get DSD working optimally and in a one box implementation I can get PCM optimally (poly-sinc-long-lp upsampled to 1411.2 Mhz, minimal processor usage, temp stable at 55 C).  

I have 70 processes running after AO and your recommendations.  

13 hours ago, WilliamWykeham said:

I have 70 processes running after AO and your recommendations.  

It's already looking very good. 👍

I prefer the 2 box implementation. Roon consumes very few resources and can therefore be run on a NAS. This brings a lot of silence to my system.

Actually I could not get EC modulators to function earlier today; I was not able to see tiny settings in windows Remote Desktop on a Mac and didn’t have the EC filter selected.

Im leaning toward a fresh install from the start with Windows, I’m not sure what to do about my latency problem otherwise, and I can’t repair a windows in AO making the interface impossible.  

D4AF395D-4A45-4B6E-853C-58A4CCAD05E6.jpeg

14 hours ago, WilliamWykeham said:

Im leaning toward a fresh install from the start with Windows

You have big problems. NT Kernel can be anything. I'm afraid you'll have to reinstall if you don't want to spend hours looking for the problem. Then try it first without AO.

Are there still temperature problems? Does the CPU really sit firmly in the socket? I would go through that again and above all distribute the heat paste correctly.

On 4/20/2020 at 9:03 AM, StreamFidelity said:

You have big problems. NT Kernel can be anything. I'm afraid you'll have to reinstall if you don't want to spend hours looking for the problem. Then try it first without AO.

Are there still temperature problems? Does the CPU really sit firmly in the socket? I would go through that again and above all distribute the heat paste correctly.

Reinstalled windows.  Problem is caused by AO even with Express and is not reversible, required a 3rd windows install, works great otherwise.  Will probably redo heat sink anyway.   70-75C with ASDM7EC 256 poly sinc ext2, all cores synced at 4.1.   I’ve just started using closed form 16M; now this is the filter for me.  Followed by poly sinc long lp.

This is turning out really nice. 

On 4/23/2020 at 8:02 AM, StreamFidelity said:

It was very difficult to attach the back wall with the three PCI Express cards.

YES!!! I guess I am not the only the one thinking that removable back plate is the worst part of this otherwise excellent H5 case. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

18 hours ago, Nenon said:

This is turning out really nice. 

Thank you! 

I sawed off the metal web above on the back plate, so the PCIe cards can be replaced quite easily. 😁