IGNORED

DIY Project High Performance Audio PC with high quality wiring

20 hours ago, WilliamWykeham said:

I will likely go this route particularly for internal connections, however if anyone has a domestic supplier for a dc cable that would help me to get up and running faster - looks like long wait from Ghent Audio. 

I am using the same cable.  Ghent made it for me.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

2 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

Bernd is still building the cables. More on that in a moment. My Reference Audio PC previously had the Streacom FC9 Alpha Case. I have converted this PC into the HDPLEX H5 2nd Gen Fanless PC Case. Here I use PCIe dust filters for the passage of two DC cables (top left in the picture).

Are you still using 2 Keces P8s?  Right now I am using 1 to power the HDPlex 800W DC-ATX with cabling to my motherboard and CPU.  I am running Roon (no HQPlayer) under Windows Server 2019 and I rarely see the Keces amp output exceed 2A.  I am not sure I really need a 2nd LPS although I may power my CPU directly from my currently idle HDPlex 400W LPS.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

23 minutes ago, dminches said:

Are you still using 2 Keces P8s?

Yes. Both driven with HQPlayer DSD 256x48, convolution and EC-Modulator now about 2 x 20V/1,7A. One Keces P8 ist good, two are better. 😄

10 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

Yes. Both driven with HQPlayer DSD 256x48, convolution and EC-Modulator now about 2 x 20V/1,7A. One Keces P8 ist good, two are better. 😄

How high does the amperage get on each of the P8s?  I can definitely see how using 2 would be better, especially while running HQP.

3 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

I use JTDEAL cable clips. They come in different sizes.

GhentAudio cables are still used in the old reference Audio PC.

For our DIY project fis Audio PC, we decided to design our own DC cables consistently. Every plug and socket has an impedance. There is always a risk that contact resistance will form. Different materials are mostly harmful to the sound. The plan is a direct connection to 6PIN Molex or 4PIN Molex. Stay tuned 🙂

There will only be a benefit to doing this with the Molex connectors if both Male and Female use gold plated contacts

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

19 hours ago, sandyk said:

There will only be a benefit to doing this with the Molex connectors if both Male and Female use gold plated contacts

I agree that this would be optimal. For this reason Bernd wanted to solder the cable directly to the mainboard and to do without Molex plug / socket altogether. Maybe we'll do that too.

At the moment it is a compromise. A high-quality cable should at least have a high-quality connector. And we will test whether it works. 🙂

Speaking of making molex connectors, when you insert the pin in the connector should it have a specific orientation in order to grab the connector better?  Sometimes I find the pins don’t hold well.

40 minutes ago, dminches said:

Speaking of making molex connectors, when you insert the pin in the connector should it have a specific orientation in order to grab the connector better?  Sometimes I find the pins don’t hold well.

True that!  They stamp and roll these things by thousands per minute so there is a lot of variation.  A benefit of assembling your own cables is that you can “adjust” (or discard) any poorly formed pins.  Once inserted into the connector body, fugetaboudit!

28 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

True that!  They stamp and roll these things by thousands per minute so there is a lot of variation.  A benefit of assembling your own cables is that you can “adjust” (or discard) any poorly formed pins.  Once inserted into the connector body, fugetaboudit!

But does the original orientation of the inserted pin affect how well it will hold?

2 hours ago, dminches said:

But does the original orientation of the inserted pin affect how well it will hold?

I don’t know, for sure, but there shouldn’t be.  The contact or clamping force of the connection should be dictated by the interference between the male pin and female sleeve.  Or were you asking about holding the sleeve inside the plastic connector?  Just make sure the “wings” are spread before inserting the sleeves. 

2.4 Music player/renderer

An Audio PC is so flexible that any software, whether operating system or music player, can be tried out and used. The model and software presented here therefore describes only one of the many possible ways. 

In a 2 box system I prefer the variant that the highest computing power is provided by the Audio PC. Here the Control PC runs 24h as a music server (NAS) and consumes low computing power. As a Control PC, for example, a somewhat older and perhaps already existing model can be used. For music operation, the Audio PC is switched on and renders the data in best resolution and sends it to the DAC without any interference.

fis-Audio-PC-Musicplayer-Renderer-1024x5

Roon is the first to be used. The software can be divided into three parts:

1. Roon Core
In the model above, the Roon server is installed on the Control PC. Headless, i.e. without graphical display, Roon works in the background and regularly scans the assigned hard disks for music files and automatically assigns them according to the stored database by music genres, artists, etc. Without DSP (Digital Signal Processor), i.e. without upsampling, room correction, etc., the computing load during music operation is extremely low, for example on an Intel Core i7 7700T (4x2.9GHz) with 1% CPU load. The load increases when new music files are scanned.

2. Roon Control
The Roon Server must of course be able to be operated. This can be done easily with apps that run on the smartphone, tablet computer or laptop. Which is just at hand. It is important that the music is always streamed from the Roon Server. With Roon Control, only the operation is actually carried out, so that the music transmission is always optimally maintained, even in the event of malfunctions in the Roon app. 

3. Roon Output
The music data is sent to the fis Audio PC via a special protocol RAAT (Roon Advanced Audio Transport).

4. HQPlayer
The fis Audio PC can render the music data for the DAC in highest quality, for example with the HQPlayer, without being disturbed by other applications. It would also be possible to use the Roon Bridge instead. In my experience, however, the increase in SQ is enormous with HQPlayer, provided the Audio PC has the necessary processing power. 

For some reason I always had issues with Renesas host controller that is used in the Femto card.  Hopefully this new controller works better.

2 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

I don't want it to be boring. 😄JCAT has released a new USB Card XE

Some technical highlights:

- Emerald OCXO (oven controlled oscillator) ±0.005 (±5 ppb) stability 
- ASM3142 USB 3.1 host controller
- LT3045 linear regulators and filters eliminate noise interference from a PC

l1006566.jpg?w=1920&ssl=1

The USB Card FEMTO installed in the fis Audio PC is priced significantly lower and remains as a product line. 

We will try out the new USB card with the OCXO clock.  

Stays tuned 👍

What’s your industry affiliation?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

27 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

What’s your industry affiliation?

I'm a banker. 😉Bernd is a sound engineer.

8 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

When’s the JCAT ethernet XE coming out?

I don't know. Ask Marcin from JCAT.