IGNORED

DIY Project High Performance Audio PC with high quality wiring

4 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

The fis Audio PC fits my equipment quite well.

38002564bj.jpeg

The next chapter comes:

2.2 Operating system

Opinions differ on the operating system. There are countless opinions on this. And even if the operating system of choice has been found, there are many versions and even more implementation and administration options. I tried a few things, but not most of them. Either it failed because of the knowledge, but much more because of the lack of time and also because of my ability to suffer.

I use Windows because I am very familiar with it. Windows has the big advantage for me that it is widespread. This means that updates and drivers are always available very quickly. I tried Windows Server 2019. It's very close to Windows 10 from the user interface. Stripped down with the Audiophile Optimizer 3.00 and in the shell replacement, it was very good in terms of sound. But ASUS RAMCache III was not running, I discarded this solution and went back to Windows 10 Pro. I also thought about a RAM boot solution during installation. And I also thought about installing an already stripped down Windows. There are tools like NTLite or WinReducer. I think it's a very clever approach.

The question I asked myself was how much time do I want to spend studying and trying out? I decided: none at all. My opinion can change at some point. With this project I follow the pragmatic approach:

- Install Windows 10 Pro via USB stick
- reduce with Audiophile Optimizer 3.00
- manual tuning

2.2.1 Install Windows 10 Pro via USB stick

I love simple solutions and that's one. Simply download the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft, insert a USB stick and let the program do everything for you. Finished! The USB stick is then bootable. During the installation I avoid logging in with the Microsoft account (it works without it) and deny all questions for better support such as voice control, etc.

When the installation is finished, I will set up remote access next. For remote control, I use my iMac and use Microsoft Remote Desktop Beta. When setting up, you must select Play sound: "On the remote PC". Otherwise there will be no sound from the speakers during the remote session.

After that, the latest updates and drivers should be loaded. This is very easy with Windows Update. Then the test is carried out in the Windows device manager. If all menu trees are closed as in the picture below everything is fine.

38002462fk.png

After successful setup, at least 140 processes are active. Far too much for audio operation. More on that later.

38002464vm.jpeg

On my system I can get it down to 40 process with HQPLayer 3 running. 140 on WIn 10 Pro - Too much impact on SQ in IMHO.. 

5 hours ago, kelvinwsy said:

On my system I can get it down to 40 process with HQPLayer 3 running.

It is very good. Are you using Windows Server 2019 Core or Desktop? Do you use remote control?

1.10 PC and DC cables

An intermediate status to the PC / ATX cable. When Bernd designs new cables, he does it very thoroughly. It will therefore take another 1-2 weeks before PC / ATX cables are available for testing.

I think some of Bernd's considerations are really good. For example, he plans to use different cables for pin assignments. Because there are different currents and voltage. All cables used are "heard by direction" and are also assembled in this way. He ordered different types of Molex connectors. The Molex plugs with the inserted pin contacts are basically too shaky for him. He is planning a wobble-free connection.

The gold-plated Molex pins have already arrived. They can take up to 20 AWG wires.

0457501212_DFI_t.jpg

On 3/4/2020 at 12:52 PM, StreamFidelity said:

The fis Audio PC fits my equipment quite well.

38002564bj.jpeg

Ver nice, I assume is HDPLEX?  Did you build this with two (dual PC) motherboards inside? Would love to see a pic of the components if possible.  

I'm still trying to figure out to make one piece unit or build dual PC, not made up my mind yet.  

I may need a bit more guidence on component choices, This forum is full of great info.

Thanks

On 3/5/2020 at 8:13 AM, StreamFidelity said:

All cables used are "heard by direction" and are also assembled in this way.

If you determine the "right" direction for the plus, do you reverse the direction on the minus cable?

On 3/5/2020 at 8:13 AM, StreamFidelity said:

The Molex plugs with the inserted pin contacts are basically too shaky for him. He is planning a wobble-free connection.

The Molex branded housing is actually better than some third party ones. I was considering filling in with epoxy, but I haven't found an easy way to do that. It would be interesting to know what your approach would be.

Industry disclosure:
https://chicagohifi.com

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Conrad Johnson, Audio Mirror, and Sean Jacobs

Are you sure that some pin movement isn’t actually desirable to assure a closer fit for each pin?  If all the pins are firmly anchored then the pin to socket alignment has to be VERY precise and there’ll always be slight inaccuracies, whereas when the pins can ‘float’ a little, the pin to socket become self-aligning and can be really tight. The critical fit is pin to pin socket, not pin to pin ‘holder’. 

Also on the subject of cable directionality.....in my experience, it’s cable burn-in that actually finally sets directionality. Cables should be marked for directionality because once burned in, one direction does sound superior, but I’m not sure it matters which direction sounds superior for a new cable, given that the burn-in completely changes the cable. 

On 3/5/2020 at 3:27 PM, StreamFidelity said:

It is very good. Are you using Windows Server 2019 Core or Desktop? Do you use remote control?

Core - Very basic - Everything is switched off. Just using Taskmgr to control processes.

Just another comment. I use Corsair cables with the inline capacitators to tame the power induced distortions. It is also 18ga AWG!!

Did you consider a build based on  the AMD Ryzen 9 3950x with 16 cores (32 threads) at 3.5 ghz and only 105w tdp - runs a LOT cooler than the i9 9900k, especially when you undervolt the CPU.

also i know its been discussed elsewhere but could you please try running daphile loaded from a USB stick for doing DSD512 upsampling. It runs from RAM, does NOT change your windows settings, and is simple to setup. I would be interested to get your opinion on the differences to HQPlayer. A lot of people when testing daphile are usually using a low spec PC and rarely venture into the DSD upsampling.

11 hours ago, Triplefun said:

Did you consider a build based on  the AMD Ryzen 9 3950x with 16 cores (32 threads) at 3.5 ghz and only 105w tdp - runs a LOT cooler than the i9 9900k.

AMD Ryzen 9 3950x with overclocking max. 4,7GHz is very interesting. AMD has wroten: Liquid Cooling Recommended. This is probably meant at full load. Experience with HQPlayer would be interesting. I haven't read much positive things yet about AMD Ryzen CPUs.

On 3/11/2020 at 5:37 PM, StreamFidelity said:

With the Shell replacement, there are only around 80 active processes left.

Building on that, it continues. 🙂

2.2.3 Switching off unnecessary services

While previous optimizations were largely without deep PC knowledge, this chapter requires more attention. If you click on the "Services" tab in the Windows Task Manager, you will see all existing services. The services that are running are interesting. Sorting is possible by clicking on "Status". Not all running services are needed.

I like to use regedit.exe. Take a look in Per-user services in Windows 10 and Windows Server . The start entry is set to "4" = Disabled.

34755126mt.jpg

At the moment I have switched off the following services (be careful to do that):

AppXSvc

cbdhsvc

CDPUserSvc

TabletInputService

FDResPub

OneSyncSvc

UsoSvc

PlugPlay

LanmanServer

DoSvc

QWAVE

WpnUserService

wscsvc

WinHttpAutoProxySvc

wcncsvc

TokenBroker

StateRepository

SgrmBroker

mpssvc

cplspcon

cphs

jhi_service

igfxCUIService

LMS

BDESVC

SENS

DusmSvc

ShellHWDetection

More services can be switched off if Remote Control is not used. I currently have 60 processes active.

spacer.png

Many experts can do much less. In my experience, less is not the same as better. After every optimization, I therefore conduct a test with LatencyMon This is free software for private purposes and very reliably indicates malfunctions of, for example, faulty drivers during audio playback. For me, everything is green with extremely low latencies.

38074038cu.png

14 hours ago, Triplefun said:

the AMD Ryzen 9 3950x with 16 cores (32 threads) at 3.5 ghz and only 105w tdp - runs a LOT cooler than the i9 9900k

Is that true? Can you share more info about it? I am not that interested in reducing the CPU voltage... but even if it is running as hot as the i9 9900K, not "a LOT cooler" that would be really good. 

My recollection was that @romaz had to disable the turbo, significantly reduce the CPU frequency, and possibly reduce the voltage on the AMD Ryzen 9 3950x in a Streacom FC9 chassis to keep it relatively cool. At that point I would stick to the AMD Ryzen 7 3700x actually. 

But I would be interested to know where you got that datapoint from. 

Industry disclosure:
https://chicagohifi.com

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Conrad Johnson, Audio Mirror, and Sean Jacobs

On 3/7/2020 at 9:47 AM, Nenon said:

The Molex branded housing is actually better than some third party ones. I was considering filling in with epoxy, but I haven't found an easy way to do that. It would be interesting to know what your approach would be.

I used to think the same, but Blacmorec's post 83 makes sense, especially if using gold plated Molex pins with their leads soldered;

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

• 2 weeks later...

All parts have arrived and I’m nearing completion.  I plan a full recap of the assembly process and a review once done but am stuck on two things:

1 - How to connect the Keces P8 to the 6 pin DC power intake on the HDPlex 400W DC-ATX.  Imagine I need a cable or an adapter, however I can’t find anything online.  Am trying to avoid having to make any cables myself as I have no experience.  Once I do get the correct cable or adapter, how should I route this into the computer? Should I send it through the back plate where the AC cable plug would otherwise go?

2 - (less important) Looks like the plate in the back that holds the AC plug may not have correct sized holes, although possible I am doing something incorrectly.  All other parts have matches perfectly so far. I am using the screws with attached washers all of which are a different color than those in the manual.  Do I even need this plate if I’m using the Keces? 

5AC61F5B-F2DC-4B9D-A09C-0A462C82DA75.jpeg

2 hours ago, WilliamWykeham said:

All parts have arrived and I’m nearing completion.  I plan a full recap of the assembly process and a review once done but am stuck on two things:

1 - How to connect the Keces P8 to the 6 pin DC power intake on the HDPlex 400W DC-ATX.  Imagine I need a cable or an adapter, however I can’t find anything online.  Am trying to avoid having to make any cables myself as I have no experience.  Once I do get the correct cable or adapter, how should I route this into the computer? Should I send it through the back plate where the AC cable plug would otherwise go?

I am pretty sure Ghent can make that for you.... just send him an email...

http://www.ghentaudio.com/pc/hg01.html