IGNORED

DIY Project High Performance Audio PC with high quality wiring

On 2/22/2020 at 5:54 AM, Energy said:

I definitely miss the sound stage of DSD512 so much that I sometimes go back to the AMSDM7 512+fs modulator just to play DSD512 with acoustic music for a better sense of head space.

I feel the same about the 256/512 difference - but I’m just not sure if the Lampizator DSD512 implementation is just optimized that way. 🤪

On 2/22/2020 at 4:30 AM, rafa said:

I tested 6 different DDR3 RAM modules and agree that it's quality most important.

But about timings I have opposed opinion. Maybe that depends on definition, what is "better" ;) 

DDR3 RAM?!? You, should have started with that. We have been talking about different memory type then - completely different ways of optimizing the two. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

1.8 HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX

This well-known DC-ATX converter has also arrived. This device has the task of distributing the 20V input nicely to the Molex-PC connectors in the 12V + 5V + 3V output. This is the preliminary power plan:

37940115zk.png

The main purpose of our project is to replace the cheap accessories with high quality cables from fis Audio. Bernd already has some ideas.

37939946gd.jpeg

1 hour ago, elan120 said:

I did a quick bench check on HDPlex 800 DC-ATX unit, when both Group1 and Group2 are connected, Group1 EPS output 12.23V and Group2 EPS output 12.33V, this is a bit over 0.8% of output regulation

Thank you for this hint. This is really a problem that concerns me. A Keces P8 with 20V/8A is normally sufficient. The biggest load of my reference audio PC, which also uses an i9-9900K and the HDPlex 800 DC-ATX unit, is 20V/6A if loading komplex filter. Normally only 20V/3A. It is interesting that Group 2 is put under a higher load at the beginning. Later that almost similar between group 1 and group 2.

In our project, the second Keces P8 with 12V/8A is optional to have more headroom. In my experience, that promotes sound. The advantage of Keces P8 is the extensive protection:

Output voltage 12V
Over Voltage Protection 12.5V
Under Voltage Protection 11.5V

If necessary, group 2 is automatically switched off. We will see ...😉

15 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

The advantage of Keces P8 is the extensive protection

It might be a good idea to check with Keces on this.  One thing to keep in mind is pending on the combinations of power supply output resistance, output voltage from each supply, output current can actually go negative, which is an indication of current flowing directly into output of one of the power suppliers.  Some power supply topologies would be tolerant of such a condition, but many (most?) would not.  The two modes of protections provided by P8 likely don't cover this condition, so to be on the safe side, better check with them whether their power supply has protection to support load sharing.

Normally, I try to keep power supply operating at no more than of 75% of its rated output to ensure there is enough headroom, more headroom certainly is better, so hopefully your project will work fine with just a single supply.

8 hours ago, Nenon said:

This is interesting. In my tests, the EPS connector is the most important to the sound quality. Can you please share what motherboard and CPU your friend used in his testing? I remember that on low powered motherboards the 5V made bigger difference and benefitted by oversizing the power supply a little. The reason for that might be that the oscillators might be using that rail, but that is just a guess. 

Yep - he was using a small server MB, not sure the model but it was one of the small Supermicro server boards....

I am using a dual PC setup now, but have enough extra stuff to build up a nice single box for Euphony trial, so am following this closely ... and of course thanks a million for all your posts from the other thread...

8 hours ago, Nenon said:

I remember that on low powered motherboards the 5V made bigger difference and benefitted by oversizing the power supply a little. The reason for that might be that the oscillators might be using that rail, but that is just a guess. 

What makes a motherboard "low powered?"  In my build I am powering the 24pin ATX by using an HDPlex 800W DC-ATX powered by the Keces 20V/8A.  The EPS is powered by a straight run from a 400W HDPlex LPS.  The jcat cards are each powered by separate 5V LPSs.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

14 minutes ago, motberg said:

Yep - he was using a small server MB, not sure the model but it was one of the small Supermicro server boards....

4 minutes ago, dminches said:

What makes a motherboard "low powered?" 

I was referring to some tests with the SuperMicro A2SAV-L motherboard, similar to what Innuos uses. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

42 minutes ago, Nenon said:

I was referring to some tests with the SuperMicro A2SAV-L motherboard, similar to what Innuos uses. 

I see.  I am using what is likely considered a full powered motherboard (Supermicro X11SCH).

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

It goes on. 👌

1.1 HDPLEX 2nd Gen H5 Fanless Chassis

The Audio PC case came just right to the workshop with Bernd (fis Audio). When discussing the required internal DC cables, we discussed the position of the installed components and the length of the cables to the Molex sockets. How good that everything is already drawn on the base plate.

37953723me.jpeg

All required drill holes are absolutely perfect and the right screws and nuts were included. The case itself does not come ready built, but must be screwed together. That was done quickly. We positioned the mainboard and the DC-ATX converter accordingly and were able to determine the cable route and the cable length. The cables will never criss-cross, as is often seen.

37953724vv.jpeg

On 2/21/2020 at 3:13 PM, Nenon said:

The 2666MHz Apacer RAM running at 2666MHz sounds better than the 2400MHz Apacer running at 2400MHz or any slower speed. 

I went to Apacer's website and found many choices, Please excuse me if I missed the answer for this question I'm about to ask -   Do you have a Apacer Product part number as per your reference of the  2666MHz Apacer RAM running at 2666MHz ?

Thanks

2 hours ago, elan120 said:

Here is the Apacer part number:  D31.23185S.001

Could you please provide the part number for the equivalent in an 8GB capacity?

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

4 hours ago, Nenon said:

This would keep all cables shorter. The downside is that you may need new holes, but I think it's totally worth the effort. 

That is a legitimate indication. As a possibility, we want to keep the space on the left free for other modifications.

Your power supply with the HDPLEX 800W DC-ATX looks very good! 👍