IGNORED

DIY Project High Performance Audio PC with high quality wiring

37 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

... "Unfortunately" the direct CPU power supply from a Keces P8 with 12V is still better than the complete power supply from the Taiko ATX. That can change with a better LPS.

Despite the quality of the Taiko module, the direct power supply by the Keces would be superior (12v CPU) ?
Interesting but it minimizes the contribution of the Taiko.

In my experience the ATX supply is less important for SQ than the EPS 12V supply to the CPU, perhaps trying the HDPLex on the ATX and the Taikoo on the 12V could be a useful test to undertake?

ISP, cat8.1, Zylix switch, Finisar <1321>Solarflare 8522, AMD 7, Aorus X570 Elite, Corsair AX1200i, 8Gb Apacer Ram, Pink Faun I2S OCXO on LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Amethyst (modded to accept I2S), Klangfilm 204a, Klangfilm Trionor (3Tesla 835, JBL2402)

I anticipate that a good old linear front will be needed to make that Taiko DC DC shine. I passed, I could not justify it to myself shelling out this sort of money unseen/unheard...

ISP, cat8.1, Zylix switch, Finisar <1321>Solarflare 8522, AMD 7, Aorus X570 Elite, Corsair AX1200i, 8Gb Apacer Ram, Pink Faun I2S OCXO on LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Amethyst (modded to accept I2S), Klangfilm 204a, Klangfilm Trionor (3Tesla 835, JBL2402)

15 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

I anticipate that a good old linear front will be needed to make that Taiko DC DC shine. I passed, I could not justify it to myself shelling out this sort of money unseen/unheard...

Nenon has made it clear the winning formula is an unregulated linear to be fair.  I will in time also build that.

2 hours ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Nenon has made it clear the winning formula is an unregulated linear to be fair.

Either that is the solution or instead of a good mid-range LPS like Keces P8, high-end power supplies like Paul Hynes SR7 or Sean Jacobs DC4 are used instead. I hope someone try it because I don't have this power supplys.

To try to give a rating (more * are better):

***** 2 Keces P8 + Taiko 500W ATX
**** 1 Keces P8 + Taiko 500W ATX
* 2 Keces P8 + HDPLEX 400 ATX

I feel the difference between Taiko Audio and HDPLEX is very big. 👍

Grigg Audio Solutions Owner

StreamFidelitys Setup

Sonus Faber Amati Futura | T + A M10 | T + A SDV 3100 HV | fis Audio PC | HFX RipNAS Solid V4 | GigaWatt PC2-EVO + | Solidsteel HJ-3 / HY-A

@StreamFidelity just to be clear, are you feeidng the USB or I2S output separately or through the MB?

53 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

Either that is the solution or instead of a good mid-range LPS like Keces P8, high-end power supplies like Paul Hynes SR7 or Sean Jacobs DC4 are used instead. I hope someone try it because I don't have this power supplys.

Nenon has clearly posted that any regulated solution fed into Taiko's DC DC (that he has tried to date) isn't as effective, so much so he dropped the development of his own highly regulated PSU collaboration with SJ.  And he has access to the DC4 stuff, so that speaks volumes. 

We'll have to try it for ourselves ofcourse to confirm.  

20 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

We'll have to try it for ourselves

He also recommended ca. 30V as an optimal voltage to charge the Taiko ATX board.

Unfortunately my arrived with some issues and I'm waiting for Taiko answer.

@StreamFidelity I tested with the Paul Hynes SR7T 19V 10A rail in the below post:

I encourage all Taiko DC-ATX owners to test this. There were certainly some positives in going this route even with the 19V input (using the SR7T). The best of both worlds would be to combine the positive traits I observed powering ATX and EPS with the Taiko with the increased slam/ease/dynamics/body you get with the SR7T going CPU direct. I have a feeling this is what the Unregulated supply will do, and, take the strengths even further. Will build the unregulated supply as soon as I can.

1 hour ago, MarcelNL said:

just to be clear, are you feeidng the USB or I2S output separately or through the MB?

That's a really good point. Neither one nor the other in my setup. I am using NAA with the HQPlayer.

The specialty is the Solarflare XtremeScale X2522 NIC, which is powered directly from the motherboard. Could that explain why Taiko ATX works so well in my system?

Grigg Audio Solutions Owner

StreamFidelitys Setup

Sonus Faber Amati Futura | T + A M10 | T + A SDV 3100 HV | fis Audio PC | HFX RipNAS Solid V4 | GigaWatt PC2-EVO + | Solidsteel HJ-3 / HY-A

16 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

The specialty is the Solarflare XtremeScale X2522 NIC, which is powered directly from the motherboard. Could that explain why Taiko ATX works so well in my system?

My gut feeling is that the entire motherboard, including the Solarflare, is benefiting from the Taiko. With good power every small little things eventually adds up to provide a better sound. 

7 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

Summary

While the replacement of the HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX converter by the Taiko Audio 500W DC DC-ATX converter was immediately audible, I had to prick up my ears when changing the CPU power supply. "Unfortunately" the direct CPU power supply from a Keces P8 with 12V is still better than the complete power supply from the Taiko ATX. That can change with a better LPS.

Interesting. Still lot of unknowns with the Taiko but based on your experience I have a feeling that feed supply is equally important to bring out the best of this DC-ATX.

1 hour ago, StreamFidelity said:

That's a really good point. Neither one nor the other in my setup. I am using NAA with the HQPlayer.

but, but....you surely use either USB or I2S or SPDIF or something to feed your DAC the digital signal coming out of your MB?

12 minutes ago, Nenon said:

What feeds the Taiko ATX is crucial. It makes a huge difference. Definitely worth trying the higher voltage unregulated LPS. 

Hi Nenon - I understand you voiced the combination of Taiko ATX and unregulated power supply. 1) Which audio PC did you use for the voicing? Is it Taiko or something else? Also, 2) what is your “religion of sound” or voicing “philosophy”? I am trying to understand better how those will sound together. 

Is anyone running the HDPlex 500W ATX? Did a search but seems to be very little feedback on the sound quality. It seems like a nice unit that eliminates need for DC conversion