IGNORED

DIY Project High Performance Audio PC with high quality wiring

@StreamFidelity Kudos to you for such an awesome build. I have been back and forth over PSU decisions for over a month now. My system is available in my sig. The main components are: i7 8700T, 8GB Apacer, Asus Strix Z390-I, Elfidelity USB add-on card with Gentooplayer OS. I do not upsample as I like the sound of my Yggdrasil A2 with standard CD quality streaming via Tidal. Would greatly appreciate your input.

I notice that you regard the Keces P8 highly and it appears to be the most convenient,available high quality options for me. Have you had an opportunity to compare it to any other highly regarded PSUs with similar continuous output at 19v?

Also,

I see that you have experience with both the HDPlex 400W DC-ATX and 800W DC-ATX converter. Of the two options below, which would you say was superior sounding?

1. 2x Keces P8 19v feeding HDPlex 800W DC-ATX Converter

2. 1x Keces P8 19v feeding HDPlex 400w DC-ATX Converter + Keces P8 12v feeding EPS directly

Thinking to start with 1 Keces P8 19v feeding a 400W DC-ATX converter and consider working towards either of the above options.

Thanks,

-Rob

3 hours ago, elan120 said:

The peak demand during boot up sequence for either i9-9900K or KS is much higher than average consumption, based on observation for KS, it can go up to around 120W or slightly higher, so for P8 at 19/20V-8A, it works, but the 12V-8A model likely be insufficient.  Unfortunately, the option for a 12V linear power supply that is rated higher than 8A is quite limited, and a 12V power supply that works with i9-9900K or KS will likely need to handle peak current demand at 12A or higher, which is challenging to source one.

Based on this logic, dual Keces P8 19v feeding HDPlex 800W DC-ATX adapter seems like it would provide more headroom. CPU EPS coming from output of the DC-ATX. Does that additional headroom make it to the CPU if going through the converter while using only a single EPS input at the motherboard?

2 hours ago, Nenon said:

I have been a beta tester for a while. Waiting to receive his latest prototype in a HDPlex H5 chassis to see how well the heatsinks on the H5 would do in this application. It may need to go in a case with better heatsinks at the end. The Asus SAGE / dual Xeon box I built is perfect for testing those types of power supplies - highly resolving and drawing a lot of current if unleashed. 

It would be awesome if this is the case he goes with. It is a perfect match for my server.

2 hours ago, elan120 said:

Yes, it would, but will need to check both HDPlex 800W DC-ATX outputs carefully due to this concern.  OTOH, single P8 at 20V feeding HDPlex 800W DC-ATX powering i9-9900KS EPS work without issue.  It is my interim solution until I finish building my 12V power supply to power the EPS directly.

Understood. 

Do you still feel the need to power PCI-E expansion cards (JCAT Femto NET/USB) with dedicated LPSU if the PC is already powered by an lpsu at the Keces/HDPlex level or better?

• 8 months later...
6 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

@exocer

Is the result so close that you're still A-Bing or are you so baffled with the sound ? ;-)

(just curious about what your findings are)

@MarcelNL 

They are very different from each other. Both provide low noise floor but the Xilinx is a bit better in this regard. The Startech sounds a bit more musical and the Xilinx is more clean/precise so far. Lets give the card more time to break in. I did switch to my Planet SFPs to clean my pallet and because I did not like the 1321s with the Xilinx out of box. I will switch the Finisars in today as the sound of card is changing for the better as time goes on.

Note: I use a larger and brand new adapter for the Xilinx card so that too may require some settling in. 

Will give further updates as things progress.

17 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

I think a riser cable is very unfavorable. I prefer a direct connection.

All eight PCIe lanes are used for data connection to the CPU, so a slot with a direct connection to the CPU is recommended.

RSS uses all 16 logical processors of my i9-9900K CPU. Activation of hyper-threading is required!

There are other recommendations:

- Interrupt moderation
Disable in Network Adapter’s Advanced Properties.

- Max frame size
Configure to maximum supported by network in Network Adapter's Advanced Properties.

- Receive Side Scaling (RSS)
RSS is enabled by default for best networking performance. It is best to set the maximum number of RSS queues to be equal to the maximum number of RSS CPUs.

Thanks! I keep my i9 9900k Hyper Threading activated at all times. My server runs on Euphony so I am not sure how to apply some of the recommendations but will look into it.

Yes, the more I think about it the more I realize this build deserves a full ATX board. That will be in the cards soon.

For now, it is using a riser cable. Perhaps the Startech is a better chose for those with Mini-ITX boards...maybe not. Time will tell. 

On 1/28/2021 at 5:14 AM, seeteeyou said:

CN-0NPHCM-28298-74B-0435-A00 = PPID (Piece Part Identification) numbers from Dell

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-hk/000139589/how-to-find-the-ppid-piece-part-identification-on-dell-poweredge-parts

And then there's something about SFKEY

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/solarflare-sfn8522-20-shipped.25319/#post-234729

Solarflare Linux Utilities RPM (64bit) is linked below and there's a copy of SFKEY as mentioned above

https://support-nic.xilinx.com/wp/drivers

Apparently we could also get two different flavors (i.e. SFN8522 and SFN8522-Onload) from Dell

https://support-nic.xilinx.com/wp/oem

I also looked at page 13 of Solarflare Server Adapter User Guide under Solarflare SFN8522 for Dell

https://support-nic.xilinx.com/wp/oem?sd=SF-103837-CD-20&pe=SF-117316-DH-9

78JnqoN.png

Now let's compare the differences here

https://www.provantage.com/solarflare-communications~880SOLA.htm

Flareon Ultra Dual-Port 10GBE Server I/O Adapter

Manufacturer Part#  SFN8522
UPC Code: 081619101050

https://www.provantage.com/solarflare-communications-sfn8522~7SOLA01M.htm

Flareon Ultra Dual-Port 10GBE Server I/O Adapter with LL Firmware

Manufacturer Part#  SFN8522-PLUS
UPC Code: 816191010519

https://www.provantage.com/solarflare-communications-sfn8522-plus~7SOLA01N.htm

Flareon Ultra 10GBE I/O Adapter with LL Firmware Onload Licenses

Manufacturer Part#  SFN8522-ONLOAD
UPC Code: 0816191010618

https://www.provantage.com/solarflare-communications-sfn8522-onload~7SOLA01T.htm

First one without LL (low-latency) firmware costs about $200 while the rest would be over $900, is it realistic to to expect that LL firmware could be flashed on any non-Onload cards (without that factory-enabled goodness) for free or what?

I guess that maybe it's a good idea to get an answer from Xilinx directly?

https://www.xilinx.com/news/press/2019/xilinx-to-acquire-solarflare.html

Just checked both of my Xilinx cards. It appears they both have Onload keys installed according to sfkey:

image.png.54f231316dbb8f4da4c14c28d99ef44e.png

image.png.f23457db0c65fb9b0f968cb6dc24e80d.png

7 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

This is super helpful! I think I need to switch to the "Onload" card, as I am using the Scaleout Onload card.

• 2 weeks later...

@StreamFidelityI would like to give you a huge thanks for introducing us to this fiber NIC.

Since initial testing, I have switched to a full ATX board, and have the Xilinx SFN8522 Onload sitting in a proper PCI-E 8X direct to CPU slot. I have also been able to move my Optane storage to a direct to CPU PCI-E slot. The board I am using has 3 16x sized PCI-E slots, with capability of PCI-E lane breakdown of 8x/4x/4x (last slot selectable between PCH or CPU direct). This was a noteworthy improvement in general. Everything sounds less "stressed" and fluid. Less restricted.

A more recent test was conducted, by switching the Startech PEX1000SP2 back into the system after having lived with the Xilinx for several weeks.

Observations:

• The Xilinx sounds a lot closer to local playback than the Startech.
  • The sound stage was a bit smaller with the Startech, and overall resolution and presentation was a more obvious step-down compared to local playback.
  • The Xilinx narrows the streaming/local playback gap much more so than the Startech.

Overall, very happy with the purchase and it is definitely here to stay. Heat may become an issue though, so I am researching methods to deal with that..unless you plan on mass-producing the HDPlex top plate! :)

Cheers

• 2 months later...
On 4/25/2021 at 11:29 AM, StreamFidelity said:

About the sound: Like the SFN8522 NIC, the sound is three-dimensional, more details can be heard. No sharpness and a deeply graduated bass. Of all these good features, with the X2522 Nic improves a bit. There are no worlds, but if you want the best ... 👍

Excellent report. Is there a specific license we should look for as well?

Thanks,

-Rob

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

Audio PC: passive cooling of Solarflare network cards

Due to the high performance of the Solarflare NICs (Network Interface Card) of the 8 and x series, the chips installed there get very hot. They are already equipped with an oversized cooler compared to other cards, but the manufacturer expects a case fan with at least 200 rpm. The only solution so far has been generous ventilation holes on the lid or cover up the lid.

The Solarflare NICs have very low latencies and are therefore used, for example, in high-frequency trading on stock exchanges. In the audio sector, low latencies are also a great advantage. Taiko Audio and others noted outstanding sound, but it deteriorated as the heating increased. That is also my observation. That's why I developed passive cooling with heat pipes.

The HDPLEX 2nd Gen H5 Fanless Chassis with heat pipes offers excellent passive cooling options by simply dissipating the heat via the side wall. If you don't use a passively cooled graphics card, the left side wall is free. Due to the different slots on the motherboards, a flexible connection option for the heat pipes was required. The attachment in the middle enables the heat pipes to be shortened. Since it is a prototype, the production is still a bit rough.

41797124xu.jpeg

The block at the top enables it to be attached to the Solarflare NIC with four precisely fitting holes.

41797120tj.jpeg

Here you can see the heat sink of the XILINX Solarflare X2 Series Ethernet Adapter - XtremeScale X2522, which is not sufficient for passive cooling. The contact pressure of the heat sink on the chip is created by means of spring plug-in holders.

41797123wx.jpeg

The spring clips must be carefully removed from the back of the circuit board. The bracket is pressed together with tweezers and the connection to the circuit board is loosened.

41797116uz.jpeg

The bare solar flare chip comes out and it is cleaned with isopropyl alcohol. Then a new thermal paste or thermal pad comes on.

41797117lk.jpeg

The new cooling block is carefully attached to the chip with the removed spring plug-in holders.

41797125mu.jpeg

It must be ensured that the cooling block lies flat on the chip.

41797115nl.jpeg

A thermal paste must be applied so that the heat is dissipated well via the side wall. Before doing this, you will try out how the heat pipes are positioned and marked.

41797121df.jpeg

Installed it looks like this:

41797118xy.jpeg

41797119ny.jpeg

With the acrylic glass lid closed, the prototype is already impressive.

41797126na.jpeg

performance

I was very curious to see if that would work. After about an hour the left side wall gets quite warm, which is a very good sign. The heat dissipation via the outer wall works! An endurance test now follows. I will also completely close the housing cover with the original.

Sound impression

Even after hours there is finally no audible drop in performance. The enormous clarity, the stage far out the loudspeakers and the unexcited, slag-free sound are retained.

Wonderful work! I am contemplating picking up the newer Solarflare card and will likely emulate what you've done here :) Thanks for sharing. It looks very well executed.

• 4 months later...