IGNORED

DIY Project High Performance Audio PC with high quality wiring

HI @Nenon and others!

Many thanks for the active participation in our project. I will try to briefly answer a few tips and comments.

1.4 Corsair DOMINATOR® PLATINUM 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400 MHz C10 memory kit

The reason for the choice was the very low latency: 10-12-12-28. In my experience, the smallest possible delays lead to the best music experience. The other reason is the excellent cooling (patented DHX cooling). If the RAM gets too hot, it will shut down. I use this RAM in my reference Audio PC. When we get our system up and running we are open to experimenting with Apacer RAM.

spacer.png

1.6 JCAT USB Card Femto

A new product? Perhaps a misunderstanding because he meant the new product OPTIMO 3 DUO - NO COMPROMISE AUDIOPHILE DC LINEAR POWER SUPPLY? I will ask him.

1.8 HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX

Unfortunately, it is not available on the European side:

HDPLEX 800W DC-ATX with 16V-63V Input Enjoys Free Shipping Worldwide
Stock Status USA: Sold OutGermany: Sold Out

Both products ran on my reference audio PC and I can only report good things. 800W DC-ATX is the best, but uses a lot of power.

1.11 Minimization of resonances

BF Magic Spacers from fis Audio @Nenon I'll get more information, PM will follow.

@Energy 

Thank you for this very good contribution. It's like a compendium👌

36 minutes ago, Energy said:

1. Taiko Audio SGM Extreme (One Box Setup)

And even this really ingeniously new designed Taiko Audio SGM Extreme has a disadvantage: to my knowledge it will not be able to render the EC modulators in HQPlayer with DSD 256. This requires a clock frequency of at least 4 GHz over several cores. It's ok, because the target picture is different. Our goal is to render with EC modulators.

Look: whatsbestforum

The SGM2015 and its EVO update were designed with HQ Player upsampling in mind. HQ Player favours core clock speeds over core count.

2 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

1.6 JCAT USB Card Femto

A new product? Perhaps a misunderstanding because he meant the new product OPTIMO 3 DUO - NO COMPROMISE AUDIOPHILE DC LINEAR POWER SUPPLY? I will ask him.

I got this message from Marcin: 

USB Card FEMTO will not be replaced or modified. 

1.8 HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX

This well-known DC-ATX converter has also arrived. This device has the task of distributing the 20V input nicely to the Molex-PC connectors in the 12V + 5V + 3V output. This is the preliminary power plan:

37940115zk.png

The main purpose of our project is to replace the cheap accessories with high quality cables from fis Audio. Bernd already has some ideas.

37939946gd.jpeg

1 hour ago, elan120 said:

I did a quick bench check on HDPlex 800 DC-ATX unit, when both Group1 and Group2 are connected, Group1 EPS output 12.23V and Group2 EPS output 12.33V, this is a bit over 0.8% of output regulation

Thank you for this hint. This is really a problem that concerns me. A Keces P8 with 20V/8A is normally sufficient. The biggest load of my reference audio PC, which also uses an i9-9900K and the HDPlex 800 DC-ATX unit, is 20V/6A if loading komplex filter. Normally only 20V/3A. It is interesting that Group 2 is put under a higher load at the beginning. Later that almost similar between group 1 and group 2.

In our project, the second Keces P8 with 12V/8A is optional to have more headroom. In my experience, that promotes sound. The advantage of Keces P8 is the extensive protection:

Output voltage 12V
Over Voltage Protection 12.5V
Under Voltage Protection 11.5V

If necessary, group 2 is automatically switched off. We will see ...😉

It goes on. 👌

1.1 HDPLEX 2nd Gen H5 Fanless Chassis

The Audio PC case came just right to the workshop with Bernd (fis Audio). When discussing the required internal DC cables, we discussed the position of the installed components and the length of the cables to the Molex sockets. How good that everything is already drawn on the base plate.

37953723me.jpeg

All required drill holes are absolutely perfect and the right screws and nuts were included. The case itself does not come ready built, but must be screwed together. That was done quickly. We positioned the mainboard and the DC-ATX converter accordingly and were able to determine the cable route and the cable length. The cables will never criss-cross, as is often seen.

37953724vv.jpeg

4 hours ago, Nenon said:

This would keep all cables shorter. The downside is that you may need new holes, but I think it's totally worth the effort. 

That is a legitimate indication. As a possibility, we want to keep the space on the left free for other modifications.

Your power supply with the HDPLEX 800W DC-ATX looks very good! 👍

And it goes on 😀

1.11 Minimization of resonances

We will try different combinations of the BF Magic Spacer Z1. These parts are made of stainless steel with an accuracy of 1/100mm. The stainless steel 4 mm allen screw fits exactly into the HDPLEX 2nd Gen H5 Fanless Chassis. Balls made of black glass, rose quartz or steel can be added between the device feet Z1 and the discs S1.

37957512qb.jpeg

All three ball variants are always supplied with a set of device feet. Fine tuning can also be done with the discs. The standard variant is the precisely fitting fis Magic Spacer S1 disc.

37957513yq.jpeg

For reasons of sound, most customers use the larger fis Magic Disk 1 or fis Magic Disk 2. The same discs can also be used for the fis Magic Spikes.

37957514cu.jpeg

10 hours ago, WilliamWykeham said:

The only area where I plan to diverge from what's here is to use a single linear power supply, the Keces P8, 20V/8A.

We are very happy if we can give suggestions. Bernd and I gave the project a name: fis Audio PC. We are very humble because fis stands for finest innovative systems. 😁

I am now pretty sure that a Keces P8 (Single 20V / 8A) is sufficient for this build. I've been listening very relaxed to music for hours. The fis Audio PC runs with the HQPlayer with the most computationally intensive DSD modulator currently available: ASDM7EC with DSD 256.

37976203sl.png

The CPU has a load of 17% and temperature is stable about 53 ° C. The Single Keces P8 has a power consumption of 20V / 3A.

We will test whether a second Keces P8 (Single 12V / 8A) is still postive audible.

4 hours ago, dminches said:

What cable are you using between the Keces and jcat USB card?

At the moment it is a cable from ghentaudio:

Neotech UPOCC 7N Copper 18AWG DC (JSSG360) Cable
USB to Oyaide

The project is designed to use own DC cables. We want to make it even better. 👍

Bernd still needs some time.

@Energy  The settings of the CPU clock frequency, hyperthreading and Energy management were the most important for me. I think it depends a lot on the renderer used. In my experience, the HQPlayer requires an even clocking of the cores. Otherwise the sound becomes restless and it can also lead to stuttering.

5 hours ago, kelvinwsy said:

On my system I can get it down to 40 process with HQPLayer 3 running.

It is very good. Are you using Windows Server 2019 Core or Desktop? Do you use remote control?

1.10 PC and DC cables

An intermediate status to the PC / ATX cable. When Bernd designs new cables, he does it very thoroughly. It will therefore take another 1-2 weeks before PC / ATX cables are available for testing.

I think some of Bernd's considerations are really good. For example, he plans to use different cables for pin assignments. Because there are different currents and voltage. All cables used are "heard by direction" and are also assembled in this way. He ordered different types of Molex connectors. The Molex plugs with the inserted pin contacts are basically too shaky for him. He is planning a wobble-free connection.

The gold-plated Molex pins have already arrived. They can take up to 20 AWG wires.

0457501212_DFI_t.jpg

11 hours ago, Triplefun said:

Did you consider a build based on  the AMD Ryzen 9 3950x with 16 cores (32 threads) at 3.5 ghz and only 105w tdp - runs a LOT cooler than the i9 9900k.

AMD Ryzen 9 3950x with overclocking max. 4,7GHz is very interesting. AMD has wroten: Liquid Cooling Recommended. This is probably meant at full load. Experience with HQPlayer would be interesting. I haven't read much positive things yet about AMD Ryzen CPUs.

On 3/11/2020 at 5:37 PM, StreamFidelity said:

With the Shell replacement, there are only around 80 active processes left.

Building on that, it continues. 🙂

2.2.3 Switching off unnecessary services

While previous optimizations were largely without deep PC knowledge, this chapter requires more attention. If you click on the "Services" tab in the Windows Task Manager, you will see all existing services. The services that are running are interesting. Sorting is possible by clicking on "Status". Not all running services are needed.

I like to use regedit.exe. Take a look in Per-user services in Windows 10 and Windows Server . The start entry is set to "4" = Disabled.

34755126mt.jpg

At the moment I have switched off the following services (be careful to do that):

AppXSvc

cbdhsvc

CDPUserSvc

TabletInputService

FDResPub

OneSyncSvc

UsoSvc

PlugPlay

LanmanServer

DoSvc

QWAVE

WpnUserService

wscsvc

WinHttpAutoProxySvc

wcncsvc

TokenBroker

StateRepository

SgrmBroker

mpssvc

cplspcon

cphs

jhi_service

igfxCUIService

LMS

BDESVC

SENS

DusmSvc

ShellHWDetection

More services can be switched off if Remote Control is not used. I currently have 60 processes active.

spacer.png

Many experts can do much less. In my experience, less is not the same as better. After every optimization, I therefore conduct a test with LatencyMon This is free software for private purposes and very reliably indicates malfunctions of, for example, faulty drivers during audio playback. For me, everything is green with extremely low latencies.

38074038cu.png

• 2 weeks later...