IGNORED

DIY Project High Performance Audio PC with high quality wiring

9 minutes ago, Nenon said:

Not from my experience.

The 2666MHz Apacer RAM running at 2666MHz sounds better than the 2400MHz Apacer running at 2400MHz or any slower speed. 

Also, the 2400MHz Apacer RAM sounded better than my 3200MHz G.Skill. The most important property for RAM to sound good is its quality. It's not the only factor but the most important one. 

It also matters how you tweak your server. If you are using a low-powered CPU, slowing down the RAM helps. I am not talking about those types of servers. Gave up on them a while ago but I do remember that slowing down the RAM helped there. My comment was about @StreamFidelity build, which is not aimed at low powered CPUs. With those servers, typically (given equal quality) the higher the speed, the better it sounds. And by better, I don't mean "technical sound". 

Same experience here.  Went through the RAMs mentioned with my recent build using i9900KS and as @Nenon stated the 2666MHz Apacer RAM clearly sound better.

15 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

The advantage of Keces P8 is the extensive protection

It might be a good idea to check with Keces on this.  One thing to keep in mind is pending on the combinations of power supply output resistance, output voltage from each supply, output current can actually go negative, which is an indication of current flowing directly into output of one of the power suppliers.  Some power supply topologies would be tolerant of such a condition, but many (most?) would not.  The two modes of protections provided by P8 likely don't cover this condition, so to be on the safe side, better check with them whether their power supply has protection to support load sharing.

Normally, I try to keep power supply operating at no more than of 75% of its rated output to ensure there is enough headroom, more headroom certainly is better, so hopefully your project will work fine with just a single supply.

13 minutes ago, WilliamWykeham said:

1) I'll use the wiring diagram on page 2, but with only 1 Keces P8, where/what do I connect the 4-pin, EAT12V_2 input to?

With one P8, you will connect just the 8 pin EPS and leave the 4 pin EPS not connected.  If you can make your own EPS cables or have one build, you can have the 4 pin EPS wired in parallel to 4 of the 8 pin EPS connector.

56 minutes ago, WilliamWykeham said:

What’s the advantage of the two wires in parallel vs. just the 8 pin EPS?

It will help lower the total resistance, which in the end, will contribute to a bit of SQ improvement, but certainly not a show stopper.

One thing to keep in mind that there are other parts in the build can have much greater effect then having these EPS wires in parallel, such as power supplies, RAMs...etc., once you have the server done, there is a good chance you will continue to experiment, change certain components, set things up differently, which is a good reason to go through the build yourself, but certainly keep an open mind on possible more changes after the build.

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, dminches said:

I didn’t think that the Keces P8 was underpowered at either 19V or 12V.

The peak demand during boot up sequence for either i9-9900K or KS is much higher than average consumption, based on observation for KS, it can go up to around 120W or slightly higher, so for P8 at 19/20V-8A, it works, but the 12V-8A model likely be insufficient.  Unfortunately, the option for a 12V linear power supply that is rated higher than 8A is quite limited, and a 12V power supply that works with i9-9900K or KS will likely need to handle peak current demand at 12A or higher, which is challenging to source one.

6 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Just K! Will just set to 3.6ghz base clock. Will be running Stylus, no HQPlayer. Knowing Sean his builds are slightly over spec’d. So micro bursts will probably handle 11-12amp. Not that I fully understand this, just for discussions. 

If my speculation is correct, this power supply should be able to handle burst peak current to 14A range, which will handle your application very comfortably.  I am hoping the same will work for my KS, and I should find out hopefully in the next couple weeks.

10 minutes ago, Exocer said:

Based on this logic, dual Keces P8 19v feeding HDPlex 800W DC-ATX adapter seems like it would provide more headroom. CPU EPS coming from output of the DC-ATX. Does that additional headroom make it to the CPU if going through the converter while using only a single EPS input at the motherboard?

Yes, it would, but will need to check both HDPlex 800W DC-ATX outputs carefully due to this concern.  OTOH, single P8 at 20V feeding HDPlex 800W DC-ATX powering i9-9900KS EPS work without issue.  It is my interim solution until I finish building my 12V power supply to power the EPS directly.

57 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

19V /1.7A and 12V/4.2A. The second is high, but no problem.

That is a good data point, thank you.

Just curious, what is the current consumption when running EC modulator from 44.1K to DSD256 and how hot is the power supply?

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...