IGNORED

DIY Project High Performance Audio PC with high quality wiring

43 minutes ago, Nenon said:

It was in stock yesterday. Email them, maybe they have some. 

Did Larry tell you this?  He owes me one since the one I bought 6 weeks ago was defective.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

What is the downside or lost opportunity in using ECC ram if the mobo uses it like non-ECC ram?  If one is using ECC ram shouldn’t they try to find a mobo that supports ECC?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

8 hours ago, Nenon said:

I remember that on low powered motherboards the 5V made bigger difference and benefitted by oversizing the power supply a little. The reason for that might be that the oscillators might be using that rail, but that is just a guess. 

What makes a motherboard "low powered?"  In my build I am powering the 24pin ATX by using an HDPlex 800W DC-ATX powered by the Keces 20V/8A.  The EPS is powered by a straight run from a 400W HDPlex LPS.  The jcat cards are each powered by separate 5V LPSs.

42 minutes ago, Nenon said:

I was referring to some tests with the SuperMicro A2SAV-L motherboard, similar to what Innuos uses. 

I see.  I am using what is likely considered a full powered motherboard (Supermicro X11SCH).

I have my motherboard powered by an HDPlex 800w dc-atx which is powered by a Keces 20v/8A LPS. Since I am only running Roon server I never see it go above 2A on the Keces. 

You will power your CPU EPS from the connector on the 400W DC-ATX directly.

2 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

We are very happy if we can give suggestions. Bernd and I gave the project a name: fis Audio PC. We are very humble because fis stands for finest innovative systems. 😁

I am now pretty sure that a Keces P8 (Single 20V / 8A) is sufficient for this build. I've been listening very relaxed to music for hours. The fis Audio PC runs with the HQPlayer with the most computationally intensive DSD modulator currently available: ASDM7EC with DSD 256.

What cable are you using between the Keces and jcat USB card?

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, WilliamWykeham said:

I will likely go this route particularly for internal connections, however if anyone has a domestic supplier for a dc cable that would help me to get up and running faster - looks like long wait from Ghent Audio. 

I am using the same cable.  Ghent made it for me.

2 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

Bernd is still building the cables. More on that in a moment. My Reference Audio PC previously had the Streacom FC9 Alpha Case. I have converted this PC into the HDPLEX H5 2nd Gen Fanless PC Case. Here I use PCIe dust filters for the passage of two DC cables (top left in the picture).

Are you still using 2 Keces P8s?  Right now I am using 1 to power the HDPlex 800W DC-ATX with cabling to my motherboard and CPU.  I am running Roon (no HQPlayer) under Windows Server 2019 and I rarely see the Keces amp output exceed 2A.  I am not sure I really need a 2nd LPS although I may power my CPU directly from my currently idle HDPlex 400W LPS.

10 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

Yes. Both driven with HQPlayer DSD 256x48, convolution and EC-Modulator now about 2 x 20V/1,7A. One Keces P8 ist good, two are better. 😄

How high does the amperage get on each of the P8s?  I can definitely see how using 2 would be better, especially while running HQP.

Speaking of making molex connectors, when you insert the pin in the connector should it have a specific orientation in order to grab the connector better?  Sometimes I find the pins don’t hold well.

28 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

True that!  They stamp and roll these things by thousands per minute so there is a lot of variation.  A benefit of assembling your own cables is that you can “adjust” (or discard) any poorly formed pins.  Once inserted into the connector body, fugetaboudit!

But does the original orientation of the inserted pin affect how well it will hold?

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason I always had issues with Renesas host controller that is used in the Femto card.  Hopefully this new controller works better.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

However, it is a heavy load for the Keces P8 (single version 12V / 8A), although only 2.5A - 3.5A are consumed on average. The temperature development is high and the LPS must be in a well-ventilated area.

Are there many other linear power supplies that are rated for more then 8A?  I though the Sean Jacobs builds, like the DC4, are limited to 5A.  I didn’t think that the Keces P8 was underpowered at either 19V or 12V.

Where do the HDPlex 400W and 300w (I guess this is new) fall within the units you mentioned?

4 minutes ago, Nenon said:

Somewhere with the Keces P8 IMO. Perhaps someone has done a direct comparison and can tell more. I've never had them at the same time. 

This isn't a direct comparison but I had a huge step up in sound quality going from:

a single HDPlex 400W ATX powering the mobo and CPU to

the HDPlex 400W direct to the CPU and a Keces P8 powering an HDPlex 800W DC-ATX.

• 4 months later...
10 hours ago, WilliamWykeham said:

After my 5th time or so reinstalling Windows, I decided to cut my losses and instead download Windows Server 2019, which resulted in a bit of improvement in my sound quality.  With the trial period coming to an end soon, I will likely pay the exorbitant fee to keep it. 

The trial period is 180 days.  You can actually extend the trial period a number of times (up to 3 years) before you have to pay for it.

https://sid-500.com/2017/08/08/windows-server-2016-evaluation-how-to-extend-the-trial-period/#:~:text=Extending the Trial Period,start PowerShell and run slmgr.&text=Pay attention to the Timebased,the Remaining Windows rearm count.