IGNORED

Time resolution of digital sampling

Don Hills

35 minutes ago, manueljenkin said:

You forgot another "fact". "Functions that are localized in the time domain have Fourier transforms that are spread out across the frequency domain and vice versa, a phenomenon known as the uncertainty principle". Look further on it/Gabor uncertainty

I provided a link to that article a couple of posts back.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

4 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

PS: by the way, @sandyk is a beautiful human being. I know he’ll disagree, but he’s just too modest ;)

I disagree because I am able to hear clear differences between 16/44.1  and 24/96, and  demonstrated that in Frederick V's X and Y thread, even though people like yourself, fas42 etc. claim that it isn't possible.  BTW, am I often way off base with my reports in J.D's little PM group that you are also a member of ? 😉 John always follows up my reports after the sometimes initial scepticism. Do we even agree that Feral-A is not a real factor in many cases there ? 

All we appear to have here is a rerun of the High Res is BS dogma from the measurements are the be all, end all crowd.

Well, I have news for you guys,  you lost the battle years ago, and millions of people worldwide are able to hear improvements over RBCD with SACD. high res LPCM (24/96 and 24/192), and now DSD of different  varieties

Hell , they can also hear improvements with modern Vinyl recordings of wider bandwidth than previously.(>30kHz in many cases) over typical RBCD.

AND, there is NO putting the Genie back in the Bottle, as much as Hydrogen Audio and others would like to be able to do.  😋

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

3 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

Blue is the original sinewave at 1kHz, white is the "processed" one. Sampled at 176kHz. I offset the derived/processed curve a little in Y so it's easier to tell them apart:

Can you repeat that at 10kHz ? After all ,you keep stating that 16/44.1 is more than good enough for clean and accurate sounding  audio, not just Telecoms grade audio.

Just now, jabbr said:

Forget audibility, let's take a real world transient sound, like a rifle shot, or a clap, or whatever.

Even a sneeze has components WAY above 22kHz.

8 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

At the risk of being reprimanded by Alex and Peter for being off topic, here it is :)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-270#post-12770432

image.thumb.png.c7fb8f2ab3daa4c22f496f999f7e742a.png

Ask Miska or Paul R, as their Naval service let them clearly hear differences below the noise level (Submarines) 

Miska provided training in that area , IIRC.

10 hours ago, Jud said:

Combining these first and second points, though, leads me to wonder if the system (not forgetting mics and speakers as well) should be set up to reproduce frequencies in excess of 20kHz in order to give us the proper perception of some of the sharper/faster initial attack transients.

Jud

IIRC, you have wider bandwidth speakers than many members (To 40K?)

I bet that if you replaced them temporarily with typical speakers that start to die off rapidly at 20K you would have at least part of your answer

Kind Regards

Alex

P.S. 

Have you tried listening to some of the comparisons from Barry Diament's Soundkeeper format 

comparison page ? 

1 hour ago, Jud said:

From your lips to producers' ears. 😉 I found they happened occasionally in my listening without attenuation (admittedly not all of which has aspirations to high fidelity). - Do Hills

With HQPlayer, -3dB seemed to be enough for virtually everything I tried.

I feel sure that Barry Diament won't mind me quoting him here.

It wasn’t long after the earliest days of digital that engineers that were paying attention started to stay clear of 0 dBFS.  Nowadays, I’d never let a digital transfer go over -0.3.  That is digital to digital.  For analog to digital (in other words, the first time a signal is digitized) I always stay below -6 dBFS.  Why?  Because every monolithic A-D converter of which I’m aware will exhibit considerably lower distortion at -6 (or -10) than it will at higher levels.  Especially since we’re using 24-bits today, I’d rather hit digital at -20 maximum level than -2.  Final levels can be adjusted later, in mastering.