IGNORED

Time resolution of digital sampling

Don Hills

I'll try.

In the following, assume that the input to be digitised is valid, that is, contains no frequencies equal to or greater than half of the sampling frequency.

If a peak that would sample to a value greater than "digital full scale" occurs between samples, the value of that peak is accurately captured in the samples before and after that peak. To reach that peak and also be valid, the input signal before and after the peak must have a finite slope. The reconstruction filter performs the calculations to recreate that slope and there's only one correct curve that joins the slopes before and after the peak. There's a very good Benchmark paper on the subject:

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/intersample-overs-in-cd-recordings

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

• 7 months later...
9 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

Hearing down to -200dB means (to me, at least) being able to detect, with ears, a signal (or its effects/modulation of another signal) at -200dB. No? Maybe it's that language barrier thing that Peter was talking about.

I interpreted his meaning as being what you wrote in parentheses. Of course, for the effect to be audible it has to result in an audible change of the "main" signal, and therefore have caused a much higher level of distortion than -200dB. 

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

19 hours ago, Miska said:

To what I've seen, over 90% of RedBook material has overs. And for over 90% of it, -3 dBFS is enough to avoid it. And there are clear mathematical reasons why this is the case.

Personally, I don't spend much time worrying about them. By definition, an intersample over occurs between 2 samples. Therefore, its frequency content is above 22 KHz. Provided that the DAC clips cleanly and the ultrasonic content doesn't upset the following equipment, it should be inaudible. (Of course, in real life things are rarely that ideal.) But I'd still rather see them avoided at source than having to allow for them in playback.

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

What??!!  An intersample over is above 22kHz? ...

Yes. In your example with an 11 KHz sine wave, clipping of the intersample peak will result in harmonic distortion. And those harmonics begin at 22 KHz...

Edit: I think I can come up with special cases where there may be distortion products below 22 KHz. I'll see what I can do with Audacity.

If I recall correctly, the red in Audacity indicates where at least 3 consecutive samples are at the digital limit ("0dB"). This is usually real clipping, where the level of the signal being sampled at the sample moment is greater than that represented by the sample value. It is possible to have inter-sample overs where all of the sample values are valid (the sample value accurately represents the value of the input voltage at that moment). 

Try generating and filtering the white noise at a lower amplitude than 99%. Now normalise it. There should be no red, but there may be intersample overs. I'll try it myself hortly.

18 hours ago, opus101 said:

I've done this and its possible to get no red, yes. But then how to see when there are intersample overs?

There's another way to 'see red' with this - don't do filtering just upsample the white noise. When there's no clipping (red) at 44.1k but the red appears at higher rates would you say that's an instance of intersample overs?

Yes, that makes sense. "True peak" meters do this to indicate intersample overs.

• 3 weeks later...