IGNORED

Best way to compare and contrast different amps?

Shimei

Question

Hi fellas, 

So, I've been meaning to get down to the local McIntosh dealer to demo the MC303 as I have never up until this point heard McIntosh equipment. Here's my question since it is impossible for me to transport my own speakers into each store's demo room, "what is the best way to demo amps"? Someone mentioned headphones! Never thought about it before but that would basically be bringing a "room" and same "speakers" into each store. I don't know if amplifiers generally even share the same circuitry from the headphone jack to the amp's speaker outs? If not, what's the best way to demo amplifiers? 

Enjoy,

William

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

Sony 65 inch OLED A8G, Sony 4k Blue Ray X700

Parasound Halo A31 Amplifier

Tekton Ulfberht Speakers w/ Be high frequency upgrade [4 ohms ea.]
Two Tekton Active [300 watts rms] 4-10 Subwoofers

6 answers to this question

The headphone amp won't tell you anything about driving speakers. A home demo is the only way to truly see how the amp sounds in your system, and especially with your speakers. For such an expensive decision, I would insist on a home trial.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

5 hours ago, davide256 said:

The best way is to compare 2...in your home with the speakers you plan to use. If you don't have 2 you won't know if the negatives are

the amp/ speaker combination or something else. You need that "second opinion"

I agree, but comparison to his Emotiva should provide sufficient info as to whether the Mac is worth the extra dosh.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

18 hours ago, audiobomber said:

I agree, but comparison to his Emotiva should provide sufficient info as to whether the Mac is worth the extra dosh.

I don't think that will be a question mark... but I experienced with my MG 1.7's, that tube amps were not the best combination with the speaker. A like quality

solid state amp would be a good comparison of the trade-offs and synergys.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system