IGNORED

Roon Startup Volume

StephenJK

Question

I recently setup my Devialet Expert Pro 440 amplifiers as a streamer and can run that with two different configurations. 

The first configuration is with JRiver Media Center using the Devialet Asynchronous Intelligent Route (AIR) driver.  I can control JRiver from an iPad using JRemote.  It works and works well, and it allows me to use all of the configured libraries and views that I’ve setup to display and sort albums into a number of categories.  The volume control with JRemote is OK at best – but it does work and you have the option of setting startup volume, max volume and volume protection (disable big jumps in volume).

The second configuration is with Roon on a trial basis.  With this setup AIR is disabled and Roon talks to the Devialet control amplifier using its own unique solution.  The sound is – different.  My wife and I think its better, there seems to be a more articulate and detailed presentation, particularly in the midrange. 

The issue with Roon, any and all other considerations aside, is with the startup volume which is 100% - that’s a show stopper for me. 

Booting up the laptop and leaving it on at all times is not something I’m prepared to do. 

The issue just isn’t with me, but also with house guests who use the stereo when we’re away.  With JRemote on their iPad they’re good to go. 

With Roon I can’t very well say “make sure you turn down the volume or you could blow the speakers”, that’s just an accident looking for a place to happen. 

I see Roon has been asked this question many times and their answer is you can set volume limits or just turn it down after booting up.  Neither answer is a very good one – it should be “we now have a startup volume setting.”

Has anyone come up with a solution to the Roon startup volume at full blast? 

Roon core is running on a laptop that is connected to a router configured as an Access Point with a CAT 5 cable.  The Devialet control amplifier is connected to the same Access Point with a CAT 5 cable.  The router connects wirelessly to a fiber hub for Internet access.  

1 answer to this question

very confusing for me(your setup) but in my setup the service i use either Qobuz or TIDAL controls the volume and i adjust the volume on my amp (ROON doesn't control the volume at startup) with volume nob or adjust the 'gain' 

my setup is USB out from late 2012 mac mini to Schiit Yggdrasil GS(and also same USB out to Meridian explorer 2 directly to the amp) to Schiit Ragnarok 2 (just the amp)-- have never experienced what you are describing--- i think you need to go to settings on your service ie TIDAL or Qobuz and let them control volume

PS- same thing on A+3.5+  i can sometimes adjust the volume level on lower right hand side sometimes not