IGNORED

Bach - Goldberg Variations (Barenboim or Gould)

StephenJK

Question

Originally written for harpsichord, and with many believing that Bach was more of an enthusiast of pipe organ selections, the Brandenburg Variations have evolved into a master class test of piano expertise.

There’s more to it than that - for anyone other than an incredibly accomplished and talented pianist, dare I say prodigy - it’s almost impossible to play. The length, the complexity and the absolute incredibly fast pace of the piece is unimaginable for most mortals to even attempt. 

To my less than perfect knowledge, in recent times only two have been able to not only play, but to make it something that music is supposed to be, and that is a magical and wondrous medium that transports you to another place, where nothing matters but the next note.

There is a cadence and a rhythm, and with a recurring theme, it’s never insistent and always engaging. 

Barenboim or Gould?  

Each has an interpretation that I can only presume the composer would truly appreciate. 

I find that Daniel Barenboim is incredibly precise and you can see how he has it all mapped out in his mind from beginning to end - this is how we get from here to there. 

Glen Gould rambles and noodles a bit, certainly no less accomplished but without a seemingly clear sense of direction other than a means of making piano notes appear from nowhere. 

i greatly admire and absolutely enjoy both versions of the Variations. 

For anyone who may not have had the time to listen to either, please do so and reply with your comments. 

And, should you believe another interpretation has merit I would be pleased to know of it. 

2 answers to this question

There are two Gould recordings so before comparing with Barenboim you need to decide if you prefer Gould in 1955 or 1981. Personally I find the famous 1955 recording too mannered to be the only Goldberg in  a collection.

Probably the best recent piano recording of the piece is by Beatrice Rana ( Warners),it's  the real deal. I also have a lot of time for Murray Perahia ( Sony).  Both go beyond merely playing the right notes in the right order.

If a Harpsichord performance is of interest then a recommendation is easy, Pierre Hantai ( Opus 111).

2 hours ago, PAR said:

There are two Gould recordings so before comparing with Barenboim you need to decide if you prefer Gould in 1955 or 1981. Personally I find the famous 1955 recording too mannered to be the only Goldberg in  a collection.

Probably the best recent piano recording of the piece is by Beatrice Rana ( Warners),it's  the real deal. I also have a lot of time for Murray Perahia ( Sony).  Both go beyond merely playing the right notes in the right order.

If a Harpsichord performance is of interest then a recommendation is easy, Pierre Hantai ( Opus 111).

I have both of the Gould albums and I can see that evolutionary process of Gould as a studio musician.  I'll follow up on your recommendation with Rana or Perahia - it's nice to hear modern interpretations of some of these pieces.