IGNORED

When do measurements correlate with subjective impressions

4est

22 hours ago, 4est said:

In a recent post @plissken stated:

"Where certain measured characteristics track with your preferences, well I think knowing is better than not." in reference to measurements as they may pertain to someone's subjective preference."

Or perhaps by another poster @tmtomh:

"The only way to compile a large proportion of DACs that are significantly different (aside from power supplies, XLR vs RCA outputs, etc) is to look at analogue stages and in particular tubes (since ASR also has shown that op amp rolling doesn't produce significant differences), or to look at R2R DACs. ASR has reviewed some of both, especially the latter, and the measurements are there plain as day for those who are interested."

My question to you all is at what point would one consider something "true to the source" or indistinguishable in situ? Is there a an accepted number for THD, IMD or ?  that is considered close enough, or are we back into the 70 and 80s where we are chasing numbers down to zero? Realize this is a question about objective measurements seeking an objective outcome to subjective experiences.

All I can say is that I’ve tried a few of the ASR recommended DACs, including the Topping and they leave me flat. The measurements don’t correlate with great sound for me.

On the other hand @Miska posted some measurements here of certain DACs two of which I love including the Pro-ject  S2D (which benefits from a good power supply) and the IFi iMicro — which has terrific input isolation. 

I think the differences I hear — assuming a good basic product, are mostly to do with the output stages. 

For me, the measurements need to have a predictive value in terms of what I hear. 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

38 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

That's where DISTORT can help. You can apply sub-Hertz modulation to a clock and see what sounds like. Apply it to a simple sine wave or to a full orchestra recording. You decide how much of each type of jitter to apply, from simple sine-wave, to random, to 1/f noise, to correlated and then listen, see if you can tell the effect.

You are really trying to get me to install Windows aren’t you?

18 hours ago, CG said:

It just so happens that there's an interesting conversation posted over at Inner Fidelity.  It's not lengthy enough to be considered an interview, but it still is worth reading.  Or, so I think.  (As of right now, there are no comments...)  If you don't believe Audio Precision is objective enough for you, I don't know what to say.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/canjam-nyc-2020-audio-precision-measurements

I didn’t get much out of that article. The Audio Precision makes one type of measurement. There are many many others. High speed digital engineers use many tools. EMI testing labs are complex. Because a unit in one configuration using a single test setup displays a certain spectrum in the AP does not mean that the same unit will exhibit the same behavior in all situations — for example there are nonlinear effects such as IM, overload, common mode noise etc that are not measured unless specifically looked for.  

21 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

I heard others had good luck using it with Wine on Linux and Mac.

Hmm loaded wine, got the app to show up on screen (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS) but can’t get it to easily show results... wine is a weird environment (as expected) ...

It would be cool to load a file containing a phase noise plot and run that against the music file.

On 2/18/2020 at 11:35 PM, Jud said:

The one that I heard substantially before anyone else was slew rate limiting, and to me it was fingernails-on-chalkboard irritating, while from the reactions of others it seemed fairly innocuous to them.

Yes and from what @davide256 is saying about multiple instruments, I don’t think this is a digital only phenomenon. I’ve heard this at live concerts. I strongly suspect the amps are underpowered and get overloaded. 

29 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

So I installed Ubuntu 18.04 and put Wine 5 on it, then installed Distort. Seems to work OK, or did you also get this far with yours?

image.thumb.png.df2e4c5cf393ff5cbcd0caeb3b18cde8.png

I got that far, then tried to load a music file.

29 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

So I installed Ubuntu 18.04 and put Wine 5 on it, then installed Distort. Seems to work OK, or did you also get this far with yours?

image.thumb.png.df2e4c5cf393ff5cbcd0caeb3b18cde8.png

I got that far, then tried to load a music file.

Now, back to jitter ... who cares about jitter unless if affects YOUR dac? Why would we assume that all DACs are equally affected? They aren't. On the recording/ADC side, however, the ADC jitter will affect the recording, but there is no one single "jitter" that has universal audible effects. That said, it would be interesting to see what the lower audible limits of audibility of, say, close in phase noise vs correlated jitter -- the reason I separate the two are because:

1) correlated jitter is not primarily determined by the clock crystal, rather the circuit layout (crosstalk, ground bounce etc).

2) close-in phase noise is the only significant level of random jitter in circuits with reasonably good clocks.

The techniques for measuring close-in phase noise are well known but different from the other well known techniques for measuring correlated jitter -- it turns out that things like eye diagrams capture both so there ...

10 hours ago, Allan F said:

To what extent do the conventional measurements generally performed on audio equipment really measure sound "quality", and are their additional measurements that can better inform us of it? By "quality", I do not mean in the common usage of how good it is, but rather the unique tonal characteristics of particular sounds, such as the timbre of musical instruments.

Good questions. 

On one hand, accurate reproduction of the sound should preserve the tonal characteristics of the sound. 

Forget neuroscience, at least for the moment: capture all the sound and accurately reproduce all the sound such that the vibrations transmitted to the ear are identical to those transmitted during the performance. 

No shortcuts.

10 hours ago, Allan F said:

In the same vein, how much do measurements using fixed tones correlate to the dynamic characteristics of the sound of music?

This is called linear analysis and has a good deal of correlation except that this type of decomposition doesn’t capture everything, for example Inter modulation distortions. 

16 minutes ago, Jud said:

If so, which should we strive for - that which sounds real, or that which is accurate?

We should get the choice!

Accuracy is more objective. What sounds “real” could be subject to the whims of someone else making a decision eg MP3

23 minutes ago, 4est said:

Thanks Jud! I haven't asked for moderation rights, but I will if necessary. I REALLY want this side of the forum to work. I hated the bickering, but I also hated losing some of those posters too.

Yeah you should moderate! No bickering but no vapidity either! You are the perfect blend of reasonableness and  technical sensibility ... we need on no BS filter with a sharp corner and linear falloff 😂