IGNORED

New Objective-Fi Sub-forum

1 minute ago, bobflood said:

I hope this works but I have my doubts. My personal opinion is that much of what you are trying to get people to post here is deliberately posted in the threads with the express intention of creating ill will and controversy. If it is posted here and can be ignored then it will not have the desired effect. One way to really damp this stuff down would be to eliminate anonymity. Make everyone post everywhere under their real name instead of hiding behind masks. I have always used my real name and if I say something here I take responsibility for it.

Good Luck,

Bob Flood 

When people post in the wrong spot, their comments can easily be moved to this sub-forum.

If people stop posting those comments because they'd rather cause ill will and controversy, then it's a win-win for all. 

Real identities are impossible to enforce and often have bad unintended consequences. People's employers have been contacted because of posts here on AS. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

8 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Generally, the crazies are the ones moved into a containment area where they can be isolated and monitored, not the sane population :)

There are 80% of the people in the middle and "crazies" at the poles. It goes both ways :~)

I'm not calling objectivists crazies. I do think it's a little crazy that people are up in arms with a separate space to discuss matters that most people in the original spaces didn't want to read anyway. In a USB listening thread, almost nobody wants to read anything from objectivists. Yet, when I provide a space for objectivists to refute anything said in the USB cable threads, the objectivists get mad. Makes no sense to me. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

47 minutes ago, mansr said:

You keep saying that, yet your actions speak strongly to the contrary.

I call the 10 percent of people on each pole crazies. The 80 percent in the middle aren't crazies. Nothing wrong with crazies, but they don't make for a good community when one combines the complete 100% in one basket.

7 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

I agree and made a similar suggestion a number of hours ago. 

@The Computer Audiophile 

We’ve tried this for years but it doesn’t work. People can’t help themselves. 

23 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Hmmm @The Computer Audiophile ... I am sure you've carefully considered this. Are you changing your target audience for the site? I was originally drawn here because of the focus on "Computer Audiophile" which isn't as effectively covered in, say DIYAudio which is also far more technical. I have enjoyed the interplay between "objectivists" and :"subjectivists" though really those labels are themselves pretty funny. 

I mean, where are we supposed to discuss "Networks" ... is the current subforum intended only for subjective network sound? In the past, it was the OP which set the rules of the individual thread. What is wrong with that rule?

There’s no three alarm fire. All we are doing is separating discussions that only cause problems between two groups of people that don’t want to listen to each other. 

26 minutes ago, mansr said:

You'd love that, wouldn't you?

I’d love for a brilliant guy like you to be part of the solution. 

4 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Really? When?

I don't remember ever seeing threads flagged in this way.

It doesn't work because people are coming in threads in the middle, nobody reads the entire thing, and people just don't care what others thing often times. I'm being 100% serious. We've had this for a long time, but the die hards on both sides don't care. 

8 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

I think you really need to clarify your solution. Seems to me everyone is reading into it something different. It doesn’t help when you say that it’s a gray area.

Despite all the discussion I’m still not clear what you are going to do, what rules will be imposed, enforced, how and when. And while I can be easily confused, I don’t think of myself as particularly dense. 

If someone wants to start a thread about why the eR isn’t what it’s cracked up to be and show measurements, then the best place is in the Objective-Fi forum. It’ll be free from subjective nonsense and will allow people to really dig in technically. As it is now, that thread is nothing but derailed. 

2 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

You are not splitting discussions between two groups.

You are carving off posts from one group into a sub-forum to make the other group happy.

If you wanted to do this in a fair and unbiased way, there should be two identical sub-forums: one for objective only threads and another for subjective only threads.

Can you just take a breather and wait to see how it plays out?

1 hour ago, DuckToller said:

@The Computer Audiophile
Chris,

as the forum is open now, I'd like to make usage of it in a positive, reviving way.

Could you please move that thread, that has already experienced a sudden death in January

to this subforum? 
It wasn't intended at all as a troll honey pot (even Alex used it likewise), but as a meta-review on the form of discussion that leads to the rift in our hobby/community, It might offer nothing new to the cable war veterans, but for other it might be a source to understand what this is all about.
It has a funny side, not evident to everyone I need to admit, deriving from the original comments, however it offers the chance for self-reflection on the standard discussion procedures of both, objectivists and subjectivists, trying to maintain their proper battlefield.
My personal objective had been a focus on common sense by analysing the mechanism that leads to escalation.
It is not about retrieving the better (winning?) arguments or locating the best push bottons on the other side. 
And It won't hurt anyone if the thread would continue in the sub-forum here, I would assume, instead being a dead monument for what happens when the pot was seemingly overcooking and people report 2 quickly without consideration? 
At this point I need to admit, that the timing was less than ideal, then, and I hadn't been fully up to date on the discussions that went through the forum towards the end of the year
However, imho there is no need to leave it in the closed/dead state it is, and you may allow me to have moderating rights to clean up off-topic comments???

With all respect, Tom

It has been moved. I hope it's objective.

2 minutes ago, esldude said:

There is reality.

There is fantasy. 

Fantasy is usually more fun to most people.  As it is rather unconstrained.

Fantasy also makes the most money. 

Reality is very, very interesting, but most people rather keep the dream as fantasy rather than work to make the dream real. 

Fantasy will make more money everytime.

So now we must separate the less economically enhancing viewpoints into their own little second class world so as not to pollute the revenue stream. 

Ironically, the reality of social business is fantasy is the reality that has to be catered to as it pays the most.  Unless...........your aims aren't economically driven. 

Should the sub-forum be re-labeled to reflect that? 

If this change was about money, then yes. But it isn’t. It’s about making an enjoyable hobby fun. Most people don’t bring a dietician with them to every restaurant so s/he can tell them how they are screwing their body. People like to enjoy audio without the audio police on their backs at every turn. 

1 minute ago, esldude said:

Is this the "you didn't use a linear power supply" audio police or the "you haven't heard it so you can't comment upon it" audio police?

Maybe the "your system isn't good enough to hear it" audio police or one of the variants of the "you aren't a music lover" audio police.

Reminds me of a streaming comedy called the "Medical police".  Sort of bad timing with events in China too. 

The audio police on both sides are equally as guilty. I make no excuses for either. 

Just now, Ralf11 said:

you said this place was your livelihood - now say it is not about money

you need to make up your mind

My mind is made up. Stop wasting my time. The change isn’t about money and I used the example of it being my livelihood to show I just might have more experience with how forums work than Joe Sixpack. 

37 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

@The Computer Audiophile - one question: Do I presume correctly that the Question and Answer subforum will be exempt from the practice of moving objectivist disagreement with subjectivist claims to the Objective-Fi subforum? Becuase of the Q&A subforum were to be subjected to that rule, that would cross a serious line IMHO.

We will have to be OK with a little gray. I’m sure you can imagine questions where only obj or sub answers are desired and questions where both are desired. The Q&A section is a bit different than the normal forum and we’ll figure it out as we go. Those who want to be part of the solution are encouraged to communicate with me and the OP. 

• 2 months later...
49 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

It seems more like the subjective want to believe in fantasy and don't want to learn,  to justify their expenses, and want to be isolated from any sense of logic.  By isolating logic from subjectivity, the board caters more to unnecessary spending.

If that’s what you think, then so be it. No worries.