IGNORED

Article: Audiophile Style State of the Union

10 hours ago, PeterG said:

Hi Chris,

I applaud this (long overdue) effort to get rid of some of the incivility on AS.  I'm also a subjectivist with little need to read the 100th iteration of the same objectivist statement.

But it is OK to read the same subjective statement a million times...

Why do you have to hide behind the teachers legs, provide proof, explanations and fight science with science, because music reproduction is science... Making and creating music is art, capturing, recording and playback is engineering.

10 hours ago, bobflood said:

My guess is that they depart voluntarily when they realize that nobody is paying attention any more. The time to cull them out easily has long since past. It would have easier earlier on. And if you think this is bad now, (MSNBC vs Fox type behavior) just wait until this summer.

Yes CENSORSHIP that's the way forward so No claim however daft it is can be questioned, and thus the manufacturers get richer....

9 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Real censorship is you guys continuing to drive people away until there's nobody left. Nobody talking about HiFi because of your crusade. 

What questioning beliefs that are not backed up by science or engineering...

I could go on about how I have seen hi-fi dwindle from readily available systems in the likes of Curry's, Walmart etc. to where we are now... directional fuses for one...

You comment does say a lot though on where you want this site to go, you claim an open mind, but you language says different...

Again why do the hard core subjective beliefs need so much protection from questioning?

3 minutes ago, Iving said:

There is no sound (sic) basis for my having - against my will - to tolerate unsolicited challenges from you or anybody else to provide "proof" for my musical enjoyment, to be cajoled to "fight science with science" [lol] when all I want is pleasant hobby-conversation. Nor to be coerced to contemplate "engineering" when I am in bliss. (After all, I contrived all my own system-engineering for the sake of that uncontaminated bliss reward.) I am scientifically trained. I taught postgraduate research over many years. Eventually I tutored my masters, providing statistical support for their own research. [omg now I sound like Amir.] That's not what I come here for - to justify myself - or argue the toss with whomsoever wants to satisfy themselves with being "right" about what to me is trivial. I come here to enjoy myself, and don't want to be diverted from my happiness by a Wiki-hinged Scientism agenda. There is a very serious lack of appreciation of psychology, philosophy and the hitherto-unknown in the "objectivist" approach I see here. No intellectual humility whatsoever (I mean in relation to the phantom prospect that the physical or material sciences hold all the answers with you guys as unwavering champions of that cause). I dare say I would be very much interested in serious debates around engineering and music psychology - but it is absolutely clear that a small number of objectivist-crusaders arm themselves with mockery at the drop of a hat and THAT IS THEIR REAL AGENDA. I have some sympathy with the problem of profiteering in the music industry, but I am not willing to pay the price for your satisfaction in that regard.

Sorry, could you be a bit more concise in you reply, to many words to little content.

Thanks🙂

So I presume you are saying that however silly a claim is; it CANNOT be questioned because it may ruin your enjoyment!

1 minute ago, marce said:

Sorry, could you be a bit more concise in you reply, to many words to little content.

Thanks🙂

So I presume you are saying that however silly a claim is; it CANNOT be questioned because it may ruin your enjoyment!

well there you go - that's what we have here

I urge Chris to implement the "no a**h***" button. Post with too many dislikes/complaints automatically gets hidden and no one is allowed to quote and reply to it, so that everyone is forced to not engage it.

And a giant warning sign above the post and avatar. 

Whoever is misbehaving will get flagged by the thread participants and the post will be frozen. 

4 minutes ago, Iving said:

well there you go - that's what we have here

Sorry I didn't write a huge reply, to a simple question.

Read your reply its got all the usual stuff... You are scientifically trained... is it relative, I presume its not in electronics or physics...

14 minutes ago, Iving said:

There is a very serious lack of appreciation of psychology, philosophy and the hitherto-unknown in the "objectivist" approach I see here.

Sorry but this actually applies to subjective's and probably more so. I learnt that perception can easily be fooled so I don't rely on my listening experiences alone...

2 minutes ago, andrewinukm said:

I urge Chris to implement the "no a**h***" button. Post with too many dislikes/complaints automatically gets hidden and no one is allowed to quote and reply to it, so that everyone is forced to not engage it.

And a giant warning sign above the post and avatar. 

Whoever is misbehaving will get flagged by the thread participants and the post will be frozen. 

I'd go one further, get all their personal details and start a class action case for libellous content designed to upset my hard held beliefs!

To be perfectly honest, I find it all a bit pathetic and trowing the dummy out of the pram, considering the numerous claims its just a hobby, so many take it so seriously, it brings a smile to my otherwise miserable visage.

If it is a hobby take it less seriously, if its not a hobby then it becomes a religion, dangerous.

Which is it?

3 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Have you ever been on a sports car forum??  Track times are always mentioned and compared.

Lame as lame can be. Not exactly a person of scientific mind.

I know track times are always mentioned. I would look at track times myself too.

But I wasn't talking about track times, I specifically said "handles better". Noticed how fast you derail the this thread?  

And no one becomes as asshole when another person talks about ride handling, or start derailing the discussion.

A person can be objectivist and put across scientific facts and data, and still be respectful to others.

A true scientist would be curious enough to test and discover for himself instead of being lazy and asking to be fed with measurements. A**h****s often lack this scientific curiosity, but likes to claim to be non-biased and objective minded. Which is a contradiction I find amusing.

4 hours ago, firedog said:

That's one point of view and unfortunately for you, not the only one. Some people don't call it HiFi, they call it "audiophilia", which means something else. Lots of people in the hobby don't view it as you do. Deal with it.
They aren't "wrong", they have a different goal than you.

They are wrong because they want to silence a difference of opinion not because their opinion or goal is different.

1 hour ago, andrewinukm said:

Lame as lame can be. Not exactly a person of scientific mind.

I know track times are always mentioned. I would look at track times myself too.

But I wasn't talking about track times, I specifically said "handles better". Noticed how fast you derail the this thread?  

And no one becomes as asshole when another person talks about ride handling, or start derailing the discussion.

A person can be objectivist and put across scientific facts and data, and still be respectful to others.

A true scientist would be curious enough to test and discover for himself instead of being lazy and asking to be fed with measurements. A**h****s often lack this scientific curiosity, but likes to claim to be non-biased and objective minded. Which is a contradiction I find amusing.

Who are you a plant? You seem to have appeared from nowhere as a protector of the subjective's... What does worry me is you seem to have a fetish for the letters A,H & S and the asterisk symbol! Is your keyboard defective of do you just like implying insults to certain people...😀

To put it bluntly the majority of your posts are designed to be insulting...

17 minutes ago, firedog said:

No, they don't want to silence you. They just want to be able to have a discussion without being interrupted and told how wrong they are.

Outside of the forum do you just walk up to other people having a conversation, interrupt, and tell them they are wrong?

Why not? Don't you want to expose them to the truth and prevent them from believing in "unscientific" ideas? 

I'm sure "they" are perfectly happy for you discuss your ideas in objectivist or other threads designed to be all inclusive, such as a  "what do you guys think about...." thread.

????? This is (or was) an open forum, not just some random conversation in the street...

Again its down to not upsetting beliefs or challenging them if incorrect.