IGNORED

Article: Audiophile Style State of the Union

24 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

I don't accept your analogy. USB cables sound different in my system, and also to most audiophiles. Polishing my car does not make it feel faster or handle better. Obviously not much point in debating it here,  but I didn't want to let it slide.

That kind of statement is the basis for most of the disagreement and rancor on this board. Since there are engineers and scientists who disagree with you, it is clearly not an established fact that only audiophiles believe that USB cables can sound significantly different. 

Relevance of analogy noted. Difference of opinion accepted. You also provide a good example of behaviour that should not be accepted in the objective sub-forum: appeals to authority without links to evidence.

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

46 minutes ago, Don Hills said:

Relevance of analogy noted. Difference of opinion accepted. You also provide a good example of behaviour that should not be accepted in the objective sub-forum: appeals to authority without links to evidence.

Clearly you'll fit in very well over there. Best of luck to you.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

I don't see Chris's solution as the best way to deal with the problem. Attempting to relegate "objective" contributions to it's own forum only deepens what is already a silly schism.

Let's say I'm shopping for a new DAC. Now I'm supposed to go look in the subjective (main) DAC forum, then go into the Objectivist area and search again to get all member's viewpoints? Why?

I think the only contribution that could be considered "objective" would be strict reporting of test data. EVERYTHING else, especially any interpretation of that data, is subjective. We see this all the time with case studies -- the findings can be interpreted several different ways, yet all claim to "scientific", "fact-based", etc. Plus, we all know also that numbers can lie, and what is claimed to be "apples for apples" testing can contain small variables which contaminated the results. Remember the "bits are bits" debate?

• Two USB cables with wildly differing costs delivered the same 1's and 0's to their destination.
  • CheckSum confirmed they delivered the same bits.

Hopefully, most of us can agree these points are subjective.  But does the majority of people self-identifying as an objectivist/rationalist, etc.  stop there?  Of course not! They go on to conclude things like:

• Audio delivered by these 2 cables cannot sound different

Which is OPINION and not objective. Other than a few members who are really good at sticking with the facts (Mitchco), the

data and a conclusion are always connected together in the same post.  So where does this move to?  I see no way to detach the facts from the smuggled-in conclusions without destroying the whole thread.

I like this particular Common Logical Fallacy  ...

12) The Personal Incredulity Fallacy

If you have difficulty understanding how or why something is true, that doesn't automatically mean the thing in question is false. A personal or collective lack of understanding isn't enough to render a claim invalid.

Something I see every day, so to speak , 😉.

6 hours ago, audiobomber said:

I don't accept your analogy. USB cables sound different in my system, and also to most audiophiles. Polishing my car does not make it feel faster or handle better. Obviously not much point in debating it here,  but I didn't want to let it slide.

My experience is 100% the opposite of what you report.  I think you've fallen victim to the false consensus effect.  You lost me at "...and also to most audiophiles" which is something you can't possibly know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_consensus_effect

12 minutes ago, nugget said:

My experience is 100% the opposite of what you report.  I think you've fallen victim to the false consensus effect.  You lost me at "...and also to most audiophiles" which is something you can't possibly know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_consensus_effect

Are you interested in discussing the topic objectively? If so, I highly encourage you to post in the Objective-Fi sub-forum. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

15 minutes ago, nugget said:

How on earth does a post that begins with "My experience is..." belong in the objective sub-forum?  My experience is -- by definition -- subjective, right?

I asked a question. 

If you want to be a jerk about it, there are other forums more welcoming to jerks. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

7 minutes ago, nugget said:

Good luck with the site, Chris.  I can see I'm not welcome here, although I genuinely think I'm not the one being a jerk in this case.

No worries. I just asked you a question to see if you wanted to dig into the topic deeper and presented a place in which to do so. 

47 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I asked a question. 

If you want to be a jerk about it, there are other forums more welcoming to jerks. 

So which of those forums do you frequent? I'd expect you to list them, but I guess a jerk isn't going to be helpful.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Chris, this can cause some information going by without the OP knowing the truth. For an example, in another thread one senior member who also wearing different hats making him one of the authoritative figure for audiophiles made a factual error which put his years of observation/judgment in question. If the statement was not corrected it would have been deemed true and repeated elsewhere. So how? Just let them enjoy and say what they like to say since no one got hurt? :) 

1 hour ago, esldude said:

So which of those forums do you frequent? I'd expect you to list them, but I guess a jerk isn't going to be helpful.

???? Say what 😳😳????

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

1 hour ago, firedog said:

Have to say, Chris, I think you are going overboard here, and it's not the first time I've thought that n the past couple of days. Maybe you need to step away from the whole thing for a day and stop suggesting that every person who writes something you don't like find another forum to post to. I know that's not literally what you are doing, but it's starting to seem that way. 

Nugget wasn't nasty. The guy did post a subjective opinion, disagreeing with a previous subjective post, that projected it's author's individual experience to the general audiophile population. He posted a link to Wikipedia dealing with false attribution of ones own opinion to the majority.

It's no different than someone responding to a post saying it's an ad hominem attack or an appeal to authority which doesn't really back up a position. Are those ideas also now only able to be posted in the "objective" thread?

How does that statement make it an "objectivist only" post?  

Even in a "subjective" thread, an intelligent discussion would include arguing logically and not using false props to back up what you are saying. One's personal experience with audio doesn't logically apply across the board, or even to anyone else. That's one of the problems objectivists have with the subjectivist point of view, but it's also a problem anyone who wants to engage in intelligent discussion has.

Each audiophile can subjectively report what he has experienced or perceived. Projecting one's own experiences/perceptions to the general population, without any proof that it's so, isn't a legitimate argument.  Are you now saying that intelligent debate of all kinds is only in the realm of" objecif-fi"? How can a topic be discussed if each individual report of each poster is assumed to apply to everyone else and can't itself be put into context:  I report that USB cable X made Y change in my system. Another poster says, no, in my system that isn't so.
Somehow that discussion is now unacceptable? That makes no sense.

If that's your new definition of "discussion" this place is going to be nothing more than a set of navel contemplating self perceptions by each audiophile of his/her own system. 

That’s been the concern all along, Firedog. Why do you think I’ve been pestering Chris for his definition of what constitutes an objective discussion worthy of being banished to a sub forum? Seems that it’s anything that challenges a subjectivist belief.

37 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

You asked.

I didn't ask you for one and two those are question marks of disbelief. The things people think they can say from behind there keyboards. This is why all this is happening.

post 372 is an answer.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2