IGNORED

Article: Audiophile Style State of the Union

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Given that the UK isn’t in the EU, I’m unsure how his threatened ban would work

GDPR would most likely still apply in the current transition period and even afterwards unless specifically repealed as (I think) it has been adopted as UK law.

Also I think it applies to the citizens of an EU member state regardless of where they live.

Having said this, Mans’s posts are probably not the top priority for EU lawyers at the moment, so you’re most likely  safe from any unplanned trips to The Hague.

(note I am not a lawyer and some or all of the above may be complete rubbish)

30 minutes ago, Bill Brown said:

I understand why some think that the new objective forum is them being "pushed away."  I have come to believe, as Chris has said, that this doesn't have to be the case.  I also like that he has said that non-repetitive, non-belittling, non name-calling objective, educational content is welcome in other areas of the forum.

I think those who decided to leave felt unappreciated.

I can't help but think that a simple message from Chris along the lines of the following would have prevented much of this unpleasantness and the exodus of good people:

"Sorry to hear you've decided to leave. I wish you'd reconsider this decision as you're a valued member of this forum."

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

15 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

I can't help but think that a simple message from Chris along the lines of the following would have prevented much of this unpleasantness and the exodus of good people:

"Sorry to hear you've decided to leave. I wish you'd reconsider this decision as you're a valued member of this forum."

I don't agree.

It's not a human right to be appreciated by a forum owner.

Too liable to misinterpretation too. Could add to the drama fire.

On the other hand we can all welcome any friendly friends who want to be here - why not.

Let's take responsibility ourselves instead of looking to Chris.

("ourselves" includes dearly departed)

35 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

That is probably contributory to their decision and disappointing.  I suspect a lot of the middle-ground lurkers (definitely including me), appreciated and valued their educational posts highly.  I strongly feel there remains a role for those things in this forum and they may find ASR or similar ultimately unfulfilling.

On the other hand, many of us were also turned off by the tone as extensively described above.  And many struggled with the "please delete my account" syndrome also described above (can't remember who).  In fact, I did it, and was able to lurk, scroll, not pay attention (including to the fairly radical subjectivists whose content was too far out there for me), and not be able to post when I was getting close to "I have had it."

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

18 minutes ago, 4est said:

I never quite understood why he was here anyway.

It's an Audiophile Forum. If you're not an Audiophile why are you here.

It's OK to ask that question at this time.

Even if you are an Audiophile by your own definition or understanding, there is still a common appreciation amongst us (or ought to be) about what Audiophiles are here for. Whatever it is ...

... it's not to mock others constantly - especially when the attempts at humour are such dunce fails, and the perpetrator is clearly out to prosecute social damage rather than cohesion.

Is there any kind of Charter or Rules of Association. If not, it might not hurt for Chris to have such by his elbow.

26 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

No, I did not appreciate Ralf11's constant trolling and inane jokes.

I wasn't thinking of Ralf11 when I wrote my post as he was banned by Chris.

6 minutes ago, Blake said:

Wait, let's be clear:  He was banned for a reason.  The other day you mentioned that instead of Chris creating the new subforum and rules, that he should have simply addressed problems individually and ban the member if needed.  If you followed Ralf's history here and in particular you followed the thread where Ralf was taunting Chris (which resulted in the ban), well then, what should Chris have done?

I am not in disagreement with you. Please read my last two posts again.

1 hour ago, PeterG said:

True--I was thrilled with my $200 DragonFly (CASH List!, and my son enjoys it today.

But also true--I was dubious of interconnects and power products until I tried them myself.  I still think some are garbage and obscenely overpriced.  But I also have experienced huge improvements in sound quality and enjoyment from others (that were also obscenely overpriced, haha)

The best way to use theses sites is as a source of hypotheses to be tested with one's own ears

I have a rule, anything that gets 3 positive reviews from 3 non manufacturer shill reviewers is worth paying attention to. Sites where every review title has a superlative

adjective get ignored...

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

38 minutes ago, Don Hills said:

Part of the problem is that beliefs without much scientific basis, such as USB cables sounding significantly different, are part of the enjoyment of this hobby. I enjoy driving my car more after I've just cleaned and polished it. I feel it goes faster and handles better. Objectively, I know it performs no better but I enjoy it more. So it is with system tweaks and listening.

I don't accept your analogy. USB cables sound different in my system, and also to most audiophiles. Polishing my car does not make it feel faster or handle better. Obviously not much point in debating it here,  but I didn't want to let it slide.

That kind of statement is the basis for most of the disagreement and rancor on this board. Since there are engineers and scientists who disagree with you, it is clearly not an established fact that only audiophiles believe that USB cables can sound significantly different. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

51 minutes ago, bluesman said:

FWIW, I didn't make this stuff up in my head.  I've been a Six Sigma Master Black Belt for about 12 years and am trained and certified in Design for Six Sigma, Lean, and Change Management by GE.  I was associate chief medical officer at a 1000 bed academic medical center for about 15 years and found this approach to be very helpful in managing medical staff behavior and solving problems.  After 38 years of medical staff and hospital leadership, I'd much rather have to deal with audiophiles than doctors, Chris!  smiley_banging_head_with_hammer.gif.e2333e588f5a725bf858c93d8fa544c0.gif

Great post!  Also, if you could get doctors to work together and with staff peacefully as we came through the age of "disruptive behavior" (not that I, ummm, ever engaged in it), you are indeed gifted! :)

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant