IGNORED

Article: Audiophile Style State of the Union

37 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

MQA is done. I was thinking of the future.

Unless @mansr has decided to absent himself from Web audio discussions entirely, his take will still be available to read. Not as convenient as reading it here, I know.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

8 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

I do want the information. I've yet to see it. Maybe you can give me a link to where you shared it before. Just did a quick search of your posts mentioning Amir. Only one reference to a brand that you claim Amir will not measure... which he measured earlier that same year, before you even posted the accusation. 

Should I be asking this question in the Objective Fi forum to get actual evidence?

Some folks just can't grasp what all of this is about.

Good job Chris!

Steve Plaskin

I generally respond in the tone of the post I'm responding to, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. So if the attitude of a few people improve or they leave, the tone of the site improves. I don't want objectivists or technical experts to leave, but if someone can't be civil, then better they go.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

18 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

Not true at all.  Amir lets people post most anything they like, but they will probably be asked, mostly by members, to supply verifiable confirmation. That IMO is only fair. You can't just make up fake news there and expect to get away with it.

I hope you'll correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Amir the guy who went on an incredible rant about the Schiit Yggdrasil because it did not measure well enough to be as good as the rest of the world believes it to be?  The whole episode seemed like a personal attack.  Regardless of whether the Yggy is a good DAC or not, it was not objective approach, in the common English use of the word, even if he was asserting an "objectivist" position.  So let's not get too fixed on Amir being fair or scientific in his approach

17 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

It’s going to take some common sense and communication between those who really want to help make it work. If you aren’t up for it, I understand. 

I don't expect any of my comments to be objectivist. but maybe it would help those who are moved to send them a notification similar to other notifications on post reactions

12 hours ago, marce said:

But it is OK to read the same subjective statement a million times...

Why do you have to hide behind the teachers legs, provide proof, explanations and fight science with science, because music reproduction is science... Making and creating music is art, capturing, recording and playback is engineering.

I did not say that, and no I do not think it is helpful for people to repeat things endlessly.  If I wanted to hide behind someone's legs I would have remained silent, or just upvoted others. 

The beginning of your post is the kind of incivility I hope we can get rid of.  Ironically, the end of your post argues for my position that we should ban people not segregate ideas--the music and its reproduction are (should be?) inseparable to enjoyment, are they not?

6 hours ago, Jud said:

Back a few years this all was new enough that I think more of us felt we needed help where we could find it, and had an obligation to provide it if we could. There was more of a sense of being in this together before we all got so damn swaggeringly confident in ourselves.

YES!!!  In my early years at this, Chris and other posters  on CA were absolutely essential to my ability to put together a decent system.  THANKS TO ALL ADVICE GIVERS OF OLD!!!

4 minutes ago, esldude said:

One need only look at the predecessor he is following at Head Fi.  Now AS is poised to slide all the way to maximal profit with no contrary views possible in the mainstream discussions of the forum.  Head Fi is the largest audio forum on the internet by a good margin.

I've always looked at what Jude has done with Head-Fi as a great model. He has a huge audience that has maximized its enjoyment of this wonderful hobby. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that in my book.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

At the end of the day, this was a business decision for Chris and nothing more.  "Subjectivists" buy more stuff and are way more influenced by hype and the Audiophile Press.  Chris is just going where the money is.

"it's not personal, it's business"

Not really Sam. This place has to be enjoyable for me, otherwise it turns into a job that I could get anywhere, but with much less hassle. It wasn't enjoyable for me babysit adults who had every opportunity to curtail their own behavior and follow the well known rules. I could have banned those who couldn't follow the rules, but I opted to give them an opportunity and to give the objective minded ones who do follow the rules a place free from BS. Perhaps we end up in the same position with respect to some people leaving but it isn't about the money. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I've always looked at what Jude has done with Head-Fi as a great model. He has a huge audience that has maximized its enjoyment of this wonderful hobby. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that in my book.

Last week, I would not have believed you aspire for AS to be like Head-Fi.  After this weekend, it's still a little shocking, but totally jibes with your new industry-friendly makeover.  I expect to see Scoggins back here any minute now...

1 minute ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Last week, I would not have believed you aspire for AS to be like Head-Fi.  After this weekend, it's still a little shocking, but totally jibes with your new industry-friendly makeover.  I expect to see Scoggins back here any minute now...

Understood. 

54 minutes ago, PeterG said:

YES!!!  In my early years at this, Chris and other posters  on CA were absolutely essential to my ability to put together a decent system.  THANKS TO ALL ADVICE GIVERS OF OLD!!!

Those bygone days were when you asked how to connect something you'd be told use a USB cable meeting spec.  While now the same question with that answer will result in being told you'll need a somewhat expensive cable, and one or two USB cleaners, and maybe some optional power supplies for the cleaners before you can expect good results. 

I learned a lot in those days, now you'll mostly be helped to spend lots of money on dubious gear for some pretty simple setups.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 minute ago, esldude said:

Those bygone days were when you asked how to connect something you'd be told use a USB cable meeting spec.  While now the same question with that answer will result in being told you'll need a somewhat expensive cable, and one or two USB cleaners, and maybe some optional power supplies for the cleaners before you can expect good results. 

I learned a lot in those days, now you'll mostly be helped to spend lots of money on dubious gear for some pretty simple setups.

You're misremembering things Dennis. The The Synergistic Research Tricon USB cable ($550) was talked about around here two monts after this site started. Not that I'm proud of it, but just want to get the facts out there.