IGNORED

Article: Audiophile Style State of the Union

13 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

It’s going to take some common sense and communication between those who really want to help make it work. If you aren’t up for it, I understand. 

Don't know what this means, but it doesn't appear to be an answer to a simple, direct yes/no question. Gray area, I guess? 

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You’re looking for a mythical black & white world where none exists. Policing is easy, in a police state. This isn’t one. Things can be murky. However, I believe 95% of people who are here to enjoy audio will have no problem working through the adjustment. 

I was just looking for an answer, since this is your site and your announced policy change. Gray it is, then.

4 hours ago, firedog said:

That's one point of view and unfortunately for you, not the only one. Some people don't call it HiFi, they call it "audiophilia", which means something else. Lots of people in the hobby don't view it as you do. Deal with it.
They aren't "wrong", they have a different goal than you.

They are wrong because they want to silence a difference of opinion not because their opinion or goal is different.

1 hour ago, firedog said:

And so, no I'm not tellingyou you should stop posting. I specifically said you should post in the appropriate threads. You didn't see that?

'Appropriate threads' is the thing that Chris has yet to define, and I asked repeatedly. According to him, it's a 'gray area', so my posts are subject to removal from any thread (other than in Objective Fi, I assume), with no way for me to judge ahead of time if I'm going to be booted or tolerated, and what logic will be used to make this decision. That's what I have a problem with.

6 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

There is plenty of crossover in high end home theater and audiophile products. I've been to countless installations and seen it in a majority of cases. 

Because he has access to everything he sells, and more, it should be pretty easy to march that stuff out to the test bench and compare it to the new holy grail of the minute. He constantly rails against high end mfgs, but of course none of them who are his venders and he would never measure his gear and tell a customer to stop buying the expensive stuff because the cheap stuff is just as good. Yet, he does this all day long when it's someone else's business thats effected. 

So, no evidence, just a suspicion of impropriety? Can you give just a few brand names of what he uses in his business that he refuses to measure? Because I'm pretty sure he measured some expensive digital processors he claims he uses, and they did not measure well.

3 minutes ago, SJK said:

I give up.  I struggled through pages and pages of sophomoric ramblings about subjective and objective foolishness that I completely failed to discover how and why mansr was so egregiously hurt that he had no other option than to move on. 

I could use a reddit tl/dr over here. Throw a brother a bone, people. Please don’t tell me this is all about USB cables......

Here you go. A good description, although it doesn't cover all the prequel details to this latest episode. Such as being treated as second-tier citizens, forced to post to a sub-forum or your posts will be moved there, being attacked constantly by the subjectivist majority in order to make you shut up,  the tacit agreement that AS is now a subjectivists-run forum and your opinion doesn't count, and much more that's not visible from the surface:

2 hours ago, One and a half said:

With the snarks departures

Chris forced people out and banned a number for disagreeing. Mansr was banned. He said that he didn’t ask to be removed. A bit trigger happy, aren’t you @The Computer Audiophile?

Must be that gray area that lets you make up the rules as you go. Hey, as others have said, this is your site, but it doesn’t make it right.

I fully expect to be banned shortly.

13 minutes ago, Iving said:

It's just a point of view, but I don't think this is fair - I mean the "trigger happy" bit. As I see things the reverse is true. Things have been chaotic for a while and the bubble had to burst (like it does in any human scenario when tensions are rising). I imagine many might think that CC let the bubble expand too far.

Honestly I wish we could all just get along. Call me an idealist (but not anything else please). My recent posts demonstrate that if we had been a bit sharper - as a crowd of people *WITH SOMETHING IN COMMON* - we could have accommodated "objective" perspectives (without undue snark) and happy unfettered audiophiles - all scratching each other's backs in one happy bathtub.

Think what a platform that could have been for causes. A platform of ostensible unity.

It's the impolite imposition of personal will on others that's the root cause of all human problems according to one point of view. We only have to think about our personal lives and our personal histories (whether we have been at fault or whether we have been treated poorly). From my own perspective, things wouldn't have gotten anywhere near as bad as they did without the toxic influence of just one or two truly deadbeat ringleaders. OK maybe even just one.

Nothing wrong with a bit of fun, irony, teasing - whatever. We all know how to build relationships with those assets. That's not what happened here. Gotta feel for Chris. It's hardly his fault.

I respect your point of view. And I agree that things could be much better if everyone was trying a bit harder to get along.

I've no problem with trying to address this and have suggested multiple ways. Chris ignored or declined all reasonable suggestions, claiming they've been tried or he doesn't think they'll work. Instead, he went for the one solution designed to divide the community even further. The result is pretty obvious, and may be achieving the peace that Chris wants, but not without cost. That cost being interesting conversations, difference of opinion, technical discussions of why and how things might work, and contribution of some very expert members. Despite all the heat being generated on the old CA, I found the discussions very illuminating. I often learned from both sides of the discussion, sometimes jumping in and being beat up by one or both :) Maybe it's just my imagination, but things have gone down hill since this became AS.

Achieving harmony at the cost of diversity is what I really struggle with, as did others who have left, been forced out or outright banned.

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You’re making up your own reality. 

Mans published his last post here. He even said it. Should make no difference to those who’ve been banned like this because they’ve all previously left. Timeline is important. Please use facts. 

I didn't make this up, this came from Mans directly. I assume he knows better if he wanted to close his account or not. 

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Mans said in public that he published his last post, asked me via PM to delete all his posts, and insisted I delete them or he’d get a court order to have them blocked in Europe. 

To me, that means he wants all ties to AS severed and it made me want to severe all ties and solidify that he would follow through with his word of it being his final post. Leaving the account open doesn’t allow us to remove traces of his personal identifying information and leaves us exposed to him participating in other ways that I don’t want him participating (votes, PMs). 

Given that the UK isn’t in the EU, I’m unsure how his threatened ban would work, but I still don’t believe AS is required to follow all laws globally (from GDPR to Sharia Law). 

I offered to anonymize his content, but not to delete it. This paragraph sums up the AS point of view with respect to deleting content. 

Not my text below:

“Earlier this year, the Internet lawyer Arnoud Engelfriet wrote a blog post about exactly this topic. As it is written in Dutch, I will summarize it here:

As you also said, deleting posts breaks the flow of the archived conversation and it makes your archive incomplete. This is a problem for the freedom of expression and information. But Art. 17(3) GDPR includes an exception to the right of erasure for this situation. So posts do not need to be deleted.

However, profiles are not included in this exception. So they must be removed, but they can be pseudonymized. For example replace the username with user89432, and remove all details from the profile.

If other posts contain the nick of the author of an anonymized post, that is considered an journalistic, academic artistic or literary expression, so Art. 85 GDPR would apply, so the right of erasure does not apply to that.

Bottom line: you only have to pseudonymize the account, if that person wants to be removed from the forum.”

Thanks, that confirms what I heard from Mans. He asked for his posts to be deleted. He said to me and to others prior to all of this, that he wasn't going to leave until that was completed. Your exchange seems to support that he didn't ask to have his account closed, you just assumed that he wanted it. I believe he wants it reinstated for now, but this is between you and Mans to hash out. You have his private emails, follow-up with him please.