IGNORED

Article: Audiophile Style State of the Union

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Don't you think it's obvious in most cases? Serious question. 

It's "obvious" in a different way to different people.

For some it's an "obvious" invitation to contribute constructively. Or to challenge conspiratorially. Both of which are socially and intellectually conducive.

To others it's an "obvious" opportunity to wind people up.

So yes it's obvious to just about all of us.

And a pity that "conducive" motives need to be protected, such that everyone can have a good shot at enjoying themselves.

20 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

To restate: is it OK to have objectively-sourced information posted in the subjective area of the forum? Ever? Or can it be done but only without snark? Or only if the subjective audience doesn't mind the answer? And is it the whole audience, at least 10 readers, or any one who complains that triggers the move to Objective-Fi? When and how is the decision made that an answer doesn't qualify for the subjective part of the forum?

These seem fair questions to me.

I am not any authority here. But my suggestion would be to imagine being at the dinner table with your in-laws - knowing CC is standing by as doorman/bouncer. Think of the presence of the in-laws not so much a stifle, but an opportunity to *really* impress.

1 minute ago, marce said:

Sorry, could you be a bit more concise in you reply, to many words to little content.

Thanks🙂

So I presume you are saying that however silly a claim is; it CANNOT be questioned because it may ruin your enjoyment!

well there you go - that's what we have here

39 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Marce, you just don’t understand how things work.

7 minutes ago, marce said:

The funny thing is in all this, is that at the end of the day,

Designing electronics and speakers to replay music is

objective/engineering based, especially the digital side of things.

Anyone remember the old adage, hi-fi amplifier should be like a “bit of wire with gain”.

Nothing added/nothing subtracted for the signal in to the signal out.

@marce That's not (for present purposes) "how things work"!

4 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

You guys won. You've convinced Chris to drive out the undesirables in order to create your nice warm place where everyone is a friend, no opinions are challenged, and nothing of any lasting value to anyone is created.

Well - I wouldn't agree with the last bit.

2 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

The reality is that the folks that you all consider the most disruptive are also the ones with the most technical skills and knowledge.

Once Chris has driven these folks off he technical core of this place will be gone and what will be left?

A bunch of guys sitting around sharing stories about which ethernet cable sounds the best.

In other words, a shell of what this place was and could still be.

It appears that the high water mark of this place will be the MQA vaporware thread. 

I ask others to reflect on what happened in that thread.

Was the real value that that thread provided created through making this is a "fun place" or by breaking a few (dozen) eggs and pissing more than a few people off?

baby and bath water

1 minute ago, esldude said:

The real danger probably isn't from a zombie MQA.  It is that something like it will come along in the future.  And Chris has arranged for the forum to have shall we say, no resistance to such a thing in the future. 

I can understand this - but it implicates AS as EITHER an effective "resistance" node OR a place where Audiophiles can be Audiophiles. If CC was effectively forced to choose then maybe that's what we're seeing.

[That said I think I have seen CC say that he considers no-one indispensable in the "resistance" business. I don't have a view about that since I am not here for that purpose primarily.]

Just now, esldude said:

I don't see it as an EITHER/OR choice.  I think you can have both.  You can also choose not to have both.  Looks like a choice has been made even if that choice was unintentional. 

You've missed the "take home" message of the day. (And the "Audiophiles can be Audiophiles" part of my post.)

1 hour ago, tapatrick said:

I tried visiting the quoted example of ASR as a source of info and quickly found it an appalling place.

Me too. I didn't stay long. It is appalling. Ribaldry is its only purpose, function and fruit. OK if that's your game.

9 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

My sentiments exactly ... DIYaudio ... doesn't even begin to resemble the other place you mention above which many others including myself also find appalling ... AS/CA has been and can be moving forward ... ASR as currently constituted simply cannot, not even close.

Agreed. But even His Majesty knows when to call Time Out.

15 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

I think those who decided to leave felt unappreciated.

I can't help but think that a simple message from Chris along the lines of the following would have prevented much of this unpleasantness and the exodus of good people:

"Sorry to hear you've decided to leave. I wish you'd reconsider this decision as you're a valued member of this forum."

I don't agree.

It's not a human right to be appreciated by a forum owner.

Too liable to misinterpretation too. Could add to the drama fire.

On the other hand we can all welcome any friendly friends who want to be here - why not.

Let's take responsibility ourselves instead of looking to Chris.

("ourselves" includes dearly departed)