IGNORED

Looking for people with experience with Intona USB isolators

Yes, I think the Intona can bear this situation.

N.b.: I introduced the Intona to this world of audio usage.

The Alldaq description / prescription could be correct, but almost certainly not in all situations.

Generally the idea is that a. you leave all on 24/7 when it likes to work for you finally (haha) or b. that you know what to repeatedly do each time (like which end of which USB cable to un- and replug).

There are no general rules that I found, over the period of time that I worked (designed with) this stuff myself; it can be hit and miss quite easily.

Why not try an ISO REGEN from Alex @Superdad ? At least they have the experience with 1000s.

Do notice that the AllDaq is USB3 which the Intona IMO is not (unless by now it is) and that the ISO REGEN also is not (USB2). But I don't think you need that ?

Good luck ?

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

28 minutes ago, Yoshimitsu said:

How much of these 100 points go to the galvanic isolation itself and how much to the regenerating/reclocking aspect of the device?

That depends on how much the galvanic isolation helps in the first place. Haha.

(this already implies that the total of 100 is not that, but may vary between 0 and 100)

So now let's say it possibly helps 100 in total. But in your system the isolation helps 20. Now the isolation itself implies added jitter (this just is so; please take my word for it). Now you need the re-generation to diminish that added jitter again.

Do we reach 100 now ?

No, because that depends again;

Say that the jitter figure was -60 without the isolator. Also let's say that jitter is always detrimental (a dangerous assumption to begin with). With isolator the jitter becomes -80. With re-generation the jitter becomes -20.

So what did we gain net ? I see a 20 and a -20 ...

Now a kind of problem :

... So without isolation the jitter is -60. With re-generation the jitter is ... -20 again. Please take this as a fact (the re-generation implies an absolute jitter figure and the extra jitter because of the isolator is unimportant).

My "math" coincidentally ends up at 0 difference, net. But it can easily be +30 or occasionally -10.

There's one other matter to be factored in:

Any "generation" is audible. This will be because it implies jitter itself and it will be highly deterministic (oscillating patterns). This is audible in the Intona once you are used to it longer term (you start to recognize the flavor). I here it too in any other re-generating device (mind you, as a specific flavor). So in my personal view any re-generating device adds something which wasn't there in the first place (no re-generation adds nothing).

If the jitter was at -60 and it ends up to be at -20, it can well be that the -20 -although with a better jitter (RMS) figure- is more audible than the -60 figure, because of the pattern-like flavor in the -20 situation. Also, sadly the -20 situation is a lower jitter number, so any deviation (the pattern) is better audible at that level than when it is buried in the "more noise" of the -60 level.

And so it all depends ...

And let me end with the again "fact" that jitter in this digital domain (because that is where the isolation operates) should not even be audible. Or better put: "do" anything. But it surely does via very sneaky ways, quite beyond the topic of this thread. However, it is the same topic as the sheer reason why USB isolation should help in the first place. In the end it is all about how the DAC can be influenced by means of jitter hammering on the power supplies or inherent noise itself being detrimental for a best clock signal.

Was this something for an answer ? of course not. But that difficult - or complex it is ...

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)