IGNORED

Article: Coffee Talk With Daryl Wilson, President and CEO of Wilson Audio

Thanks for the interview, but I'm sorry to say I found it very disappointing.  For me, it had an excessive Fan-Boy tenor.   How many times did Danny say "Amazing!" after Mr. Wilson comments?  (I didn't count but I'd guess over 20 times?)  It came off like an Info-mercial for Wilson Audio.

So much more of interest could have been discussed.  Take a listen to the Audio Stream interviews.  They might be a good guide for improving the next interview?!

Finally, I have no doubt that Wilson speakers are some of the best out there in AudiophiliaLand, but personally, it was hard to stomach Mr Wison's constant reference to their "Art."   I'm sure he thinks his speakers are aesthetic wonders, but I find their robotic designs to be a classic case of form and function NOT working together.  There are a lot of ugly speakers out there and there are some beautiful ones out there.  In my opinion, the Wilsons are emphatically in the ugly category.  I'm sure they sound wondrous-- just turn those lights down low!

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Perhaps interviews can serve a different audience than just you. Couldn't you conclude that, "So much more of interest could have been discussed" after every interview ever conducted?

I tried that once. I'd rather stick a pencil in my neck than listen again. 

P.S. I will not publish a rambling interview where anyone talks about what they had for dinner the previous night and takes 30 minutes to get to a single point. 

Thanks for the interview, but I'm sorry to say I found it very disappointing.  For me, it had an excessive Fan-Boy tenor.   How many times did Danny say "Amazing!" after Mr. Wilson comments?  (I didn't count but I'd guess over 20 times?)  It came off like an Info-mercial for Wilson Audio.

So much more of interest could have been discussed.  Take a listen to the Audio Stream interviews.  They might be a good guide for improving the next interview?!

Finally, I have no doubt that Wilson speakers are some of the best out there in AudiophiliaLand, but personally, it was hard to stomach Mr Wison's constant reference to their "Art."   I'm sure he thinks his speakers are aesthetic wonders, but I find their robotic designs to be a classic case of form and function NOT working together.  There are a lot of ugly speakers out there and there are some beautiful ones out there.  In my opinion, the Wilsons are emphatically in the ugly category.  I'm sure they sound wondrous-- just turn those lights down low!

Just now, wwc said:

Just now, wwc said:

I primary point I heard over and over again is "Wilson Audio is AMAZING."   It's nice for you that you are so smitten with Wilson Audio, however, it does not make for a very interesting interview.

The Audio Stream interviews actually explore the designers thought process and tech explorations with some intellectual curiosity, imho.  

Hopefully, you might someday take this criticism as an opportunity to refine your skills.  Defensiveness won't get you there, that's for sure! 

Just now, wwc said:

On 3/28/2020 at 1:33 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I tried that once. I'd rather stick a pencil in my neck than listen again. 

P.S. I will not publish a rambling interview where anyone talks about what they had for dinner the previous night and takes 30 minutes to get to a single point.

I must have missed the dinner conversation....Perhaps you should try another one:  As I recall the Ted Smith interview was really interesting as was Vince Galbo, Nuno Vitorino.  The interviewer guides and allows the designers to talk about their tech and the thought processes that go into it, with very little info-merchant babbling.

On 3/29/2020 at 10:57 AM, Danny Kaey said:

Lastly, I find your comment about form and function not working together very odd and contrary to reality: if anything Wilson's designs are virtually all shaped by function and form working together in unity to create the design that you see. 

I agree with you that Wilson's tech and form are working together to produce a speaker which  functions at a very high level.

Maybe more to the point, what I find frustrating with Wilson is what I feel are very poor choices in industrial aesthetic design.  Their designs look they were designed by an engineer-- an engineer completely lacking in any visual design sophistication.  The hulking robotic form, with it's chassis that looks like molded plastic, resembles something a 12 year old boy might come up with from legos (nothing against legos, mind you).

It brings to mind the contrast between the Microsoft and Apple sensibility.  Bill Gates wasn't concerned with what his products looked like.  Steve Jobs, and Jonathan Ive, cared deeply about producing tech products that worked elegantly and whose elegance was interwoven with the refined visual design.