IGNORED

Music library (backup) in the cloud?

I've been thinking about this topic for a while. What if your "gold" library was actually stored online, with backups, tagging and organisation fixed for you, and a set of "sync" software responsible for keeping your local devices up to date (maybe with rules, e.g. maximum artwork size, transcoding, only select certain music etc)?

bliss - fully automated music organizer. Read the music library management blog.

23 hours ago, Iving said:

ewww ... sounds like Apple ["we know what you want before you know what you want"]

Thanks for the feedback, it's very useful - although I don't recall saying "I know what you want" - album art could easily be optional, in fact the tagging options in general could be optional.

What are the problems with online backup for you at the moment?

Personally I just use S3 still (used to use rsync.net who had excellent customer service, but the price increase was just too much).

bliss - fully automated music organizer. Read the music library management blog.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2020 at 12:27 PM, hopkins said:

This is getting off topic, as it goes beyond the "backup" aspects, but maybe i will open another thread to discuss it. 

I'd be interested to learn more about what you are doing - I think "hybrid cloud" or "self hosting" in the cloud might be a growing phenomena.