IGNORED

Music library (backup) in the cloud?

51 minutes ago, Dan Gravell said:

I've been thinking about this topic for a while. What if your "gold" library was actually stored online, with backups, tagging and organisation fixed for you, and a set of "sync" software responsible for keeping your local devices up to date (maybe with rules, e.g. maximum artwork size, transcoding, only select certain music etc)?

ewww ... sounds like Apple ["we know what you want before you know what you want"]

I know mine is just an idiosyncratic approach, but I have invested many hours tagging my flac Library in a most personal manner. It helps me create playlists of all my most enjoyable/high octane music depending on filters (in fb2k) that suit the mood of the moment. I can milk my collection for thrills in a way I wouldn't be able to do without the tagging. Plus I can do biographic stuff (you know how evocative music can be of life's episodes). Plus I like to "study" the evolution of music - the chronologically threaded historic influences on my favourite recordings - in my case mostly Rockabilly - how did that happen I ask myself constantly in delighted shock and awe.

I like to do the same with English Folk, and might take a similar interest in Classical music eventually.

I am not remotely interested in album art (often wrong for a particular ripped CD), other people's dates (often wrong or ambiguous for a given album or ripped CD), other people's spelling mistakes or other factual or technical errors. My genres are my own and I have a small number of other bespoke fields. I don't ever want listening suggestions. I loathe all commercial services. I know what I like. I know what stones I want to turn over next. I prefer to do my own thinking. Actually I insist on it.

I like this thread conceptually because although I have many back-ups that assure against drive failure, I am aware I don't have an off-site one. I don't yet see a cloud solution that would work for me and I'll probably just keep a HDD in the van. (I thought of asking a friend but would have to pester often to update.)

31 minutes ago, Dan Gravell said:

Thanks for the feedback, it's very useful - although I don't recall saying "I know what you want" - album art could easily be optional, in fact the tagging options in general could be optional.

What are the problems with online backup for you at the moment?

Personally I just use S3 still (used to use rsync.net who had excellent customer service, but the price increase was just too much).

The "We know what you want before you know what you want" thing is just a euphemism for a certain kind of philosophy of computing epitomised in my mind (and uncomfortable experience) by Apple. All computing systems (mostly software of course) present frustrating obstacles to me (I know I am my own victim) - and I have found Apple the worst environment of all. You can see from my post that I am left with a bit of "If you want something done properly you have to do it yourself" belief-script. I am not responding to your Bliss service directly - only your post, "What if ... etc".

I have never warmed to Cloud storage. I imagine it can be a fitting solution in corporate environments and for some personal users - I guess. I don't like the idea of handing over my data voluntarily to third parties - we condone things by participating in them. But I could get over this in relation to my music files. If I use third party software to backup and update my music library, could I be 100% sure that no snooping of my other files (or browsing activity etc) ever happened. That was a rhetoric question no matter the facts. Pragmatically I can imagine all sorts of upload problems and hiccoughs compared with USB transfer to another HDD. Obviously I don't want to pay unless of value to me. And what if I ever stopped using a paid-for service for any reason - financial hardship, forgetting etc. I would have to anticipate an alternative solution in advance - the one I now prefer i.e. simple off-site HDD. Probably ultimately for me I prefer to work in my own shed than somebody else's - that's all.

I have no experience of S3.

I wasn't and am not now remarking on Bliss. Just joining the conversation started by the OP.