IGNORED

Music library (backup) in the cloud?

19 hours ago, hopkins said:

Cloud storage/apps arise happening everywhere else... Corporations are moving to cloud based solutions.

Having to run a home server 24/7 to listen to your music files (at home or remotely) seems "archaic" to me. A chromebook, a backup solution (local or remote) - that's all we should need.

The two things are very very different.

”Cloud” backup is just that. Typically you pay less for less frequent access. 

A home server is used to expose your data in different ways:

1) as SMB files

2) as DLNA 

3) as Roon/RAAT

4) as HQPlayer streams

or combinations of above. In any case if you care to do upsampling, it’s a processor intensive activity for the home server.

A NAT is just a computer with an Ethernet port and typically removable disc drives. Linux eg Ubuntu is free and contains everything you need to have a fully functional NAT. It will also run on whatever old computer you have laying around ;) 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

21 hours ago, hopkins said:

Sorry, i had not taken the time to explain in detail.

Unfortunately what I am doing is a "custom" solution and I do not really see how it could be extended to others without investing significant time and effort into it. So i don't think a seperate thread is required. I'll explain here briefly.

ok nice... Amazon Music 

14 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Another data point here for peer to peer backup. In my case, I have a friend across town, and we each own a primary NAS in our own house, and a remote backup NAS in friend's house. Both of us upgraded our NASes and used the previous one as the backup target. These are all Synology, and we just use HyperBackup.

The nice thing about this approach is the initial backup of TBs of data can be done over your own local home Gb network. For both of us, the initial backup at 1GBps speed took a day or two at most. After the initial backup is done, deploy the backup unit at friend's house, and do the one-time router setup to open ports etc. Synology has tools for this.

No problem, of course ZFS (designed by Sun, now Oracle, and now freely incorporated into Ubuntu) allows you to do incremental remote backup. That and daily snapshots.

My preference for ZFS is that its machine and OS independent, so I have drives from my old Solaris NAS that I was able to simply plug into my Linux NAS. 

The newer Synology NAS (or perhaps higher end) use the BTRFS file system which is similar to ZFS and now has adequate testing. So you should be able to reinstall an array onto Linux and recover the data if your system were ever to have a hardware failure 😳 

Now for backup, I use Jottacloud ;) It runs in the background.