IGNORED

Music library (backup) in the cloud?

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, bodiebill said:

@hopkins Did you ever start this thread about self-hosting?

You really need only three things to self host your own music backup in the cloud.

1) Time, because doing this yourself is going to take some set up time

2) A NAS, with real NAS software. I use an iosafe NAS that runs Synology Disk Station Manager

3) a place to put it with a great internet connection, up and down. My Brother and I have identical iosafe NAS units at each others houses.

That's it.

https://iosafe.com/products/1019-nas/

https://www.synology.com/en-us

No electron left behind.

4 hours ago, Jud said:

I've got the backup in the cloud and local, and remote music listening enabled at home with my desktop as the server. Will likely build a NAS one of these days for the remote listening and local backup/storage.

I have 1 backup here and I have it mirrored on my brothers NAS as well. I’m not tech enough, nor willing to learn, to build one. Plus the iosafe/ Synology NAS is as disaster proof as one can get. 

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Not trying to persuade you because you already have a preferred solution, but any kind of computer building, including a NAS, is a very prosaic thing. It's pretty obvious which pieces click or screw together where. Putting together a kid's bike might be more difficult.

You are, of course, correct Jud, its more the software and such that I don't feel like getting into where the Synology is effectively plug and play for me and was easy to figure out and learn with help from a local IT expert.

9 minutes ago, Jud said:

I went through this a while back with @AudioDoctor. As I recall, his home server is duplicated at his brother's, reasonably fire and flood-resistant, and bolted to concrete to prevent theft. So it may not be Google but it's reasonable backup. 🙂

And then there is this as well, it is fire and disaster proof (somewhat) and was easily duplicated. I am a big proponent of the KISS principle. Keep It Simple, Stupid.

No electron left behind.