IGNORED

Music library (backup) in the cloud?

11 minutes ago, mansr said:

I keep a copy of my music in Google Drive. Besides serving as backup, it allows me to play it when away from home. Using BubbleUPnP, I can play it either directly on the phone or through any UPnP/DLNA device.

The initial upload took a while, but once that was done, keeping it up to date hasn't been too bad.

Thanks! What is the size of your library? And what was 'a while' approx.? Hours, days, more than a week?

audio system

1 hour ago, bodiebill said:

Does anyone store/backup their music library in the cloud? Cloud services are getting cheaper and f.i. Backblaze offers unlimited storage at a reasonable price.

For me it would mainly function as a backup (library is approx. 5TB), but I am somewhat reluctant as upload speed may be an issue.

Curious to hear about any experiences with this...

I use Backblaze's unlimited storage. I like it a lot. When I began using it, my upload speed was 1Mbps, and I had about 1TB of music.  Unlike another service I'd used previously (no longer available in unlimited form - not Amazon, it was someone else whose name escapes me at the moment), it didn't bring the rest of my network throughput to its knees while it was going on. So I could just carry on as usual letting the upload take place in the background.

My upload speed is now 40Mbps, so new music is backed up pretty instantly.

Edit: I cannot play my files direct from Backblaze. For playing my files remotely anywhere there's an Internet connection I use Subsonic ($1/month, $99 lifetime).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

14 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

Thanks! What is the size of your library? And what was 'a while' approx.? Hours, days, more than a week?

Google Drive, now called Google One, charges $9.99 a month for 2TB, $99.99 a month for 10TB. So let's say you established 3 separate accounts of 2TB each for your 5TB of files, you'd be spending $30 a month (or $300 annually if prepaid).

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I use LiveDrive ( as recommended by a poster here a few months ago) which offers two types of backup one of which is unlimited ( but I would double check with them given a 5TB library) and costs me 48 gbp per annum.

I have a much smaller library than you amounting currently to about 700GB . That took about 4 hours to upload but this is not only defined by the upload speed from the user but also because everything they store is encrypted. This adds to upload time as one can see that when the desktop app indicates the upload is complete at the user end processing at their end is continuing. I can't see that as a problem unless you wanted an immediate restore. I would add that you do not need to complete the upload in one hit. The very simple and intuitive backup app will pick up where it left off before. Regular updates thereon obviously only take a few minutes.

I would add that I have also found their customer service of high quality.

BTW I am a belt and braces kind of person so I also keep copies of my music library on HDDs, the cloud backup being a substitute for what was an off site copy kept with a friend. That got a bit complex when updates were required.

On 2/15/2020 at 1:07 AM, PAR said:

BTW I am a belt and braces kind of person so I also keep copies of my music library on HDDs, the cloud backup being a substitute for what was an off site copy kept with a friend. That got a bit complex when updates were required.

Agreed, cloud storage does not make local backup superfluous.

audio system

On 2/14/2020 at 11:06 AM, Jud said:

Google Drive, now called Google One, charges $9.99 a month for 2TB, $99.99 a month for 10TB. So let's say you established 3 separate accounts of 2TB each for your 5TB of files, you'd be spending $30 a month (or $300 annually if prepaid).

Might need to research again. G Suite is $12 a month for unlimited. I’ve got 9tb backing up and started 11 days ago. 2.7 tb uploaded so far. Best option by far. 

On 2/14/2020 at 10:35 AM, mansr said:

I keep a copy of my music in Google Drive. Besides serving as backup, it allows me to play it when away from home. Using BubbleUPnP, I can play it either directly on the phone or through any UPnP/DLNA device.

The initial upload took a while, but once that was done, keeping it up to date hasn't been too bad.

What’s the iPhone equivalent? I’ve been using CloudBeats. 

1 hour ago, TJtennispro said:

Might need to research again. G Suite is $12 a month for unlimited. I’ve got 9tb backing up and started 11 days ago. 2.7 tb uploaded so far. Best option by far. 

Backblaze is $5 a month if paid annually. As noted, I have a separate $1/month server for my music collection (at full resolution, including DSD).

1 hour ago, TJtennispro said:

Interesting. However, when I look at pricing, it says unlimited cloud storage or 1TB per user in case of less than 5 users. So how does that work in your case?

audio system

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Backblaze is $5 a month if paid annually. As noted, I have a separate $1/month server for my music collection (at full resolution, including DSD).

Speed is rather important to me, and I believe Google is considerably faster than Backblaze, and even faster than something like pCloud. Do you remember how much time it took to upload 1TB with Backblaze?

audio system

2 hours ago, bodiebill said:

Interesting. However, when I look at pricing, it says unlimited cloud storage or 1TB per user in case of less than 5 users. So how does that work in your case?

I have what’s called G Suite. It’s a $14 dollar one time fee which gets you a domain name. The it’s $12 dollars a month for unlimited. I’ve got friends with 37 tb - 54tb of data backed up to their G Suite. Since I’m the only uploader on mine I get unlimited data. 

I can play the files directly from Google or use a third party player in my car with CarPlay. It’s by far the best value for the money. My entire Synolgy NAS setup is automaticity backed up to G Suite. 

2 hours ago, bodiebill said:

Speed is rather important to me, and I believe Google is considerably faster than Backblaze, and even faster than something like pCloud. Do you remember how much time it took to upload 1TB with Backblaze?

speed for GSuite is whatever your upload speed is and mine is low... 20Mbps upload but if yours is faster then you will be able to upload more than 300 gb a day. G Suite one user gets unlimited if you have 5 people using your G Suite that’s when limitations kick in and when I say 5 users I mean 4 registered people in the group. I can share links with whomever I choose. 

This should answer your questions about pricing and users https://gsuite.google.com/pricing.html

I was nervous at first about the wording but my bill is always the same and my data is unlimited. 

28 minutes ago, TJtennispro said:

I have what’s called G Suite. It’s a $14 dollar one time fee which gets you a domain name. The it’s $12 dollars a month for unlimited. I’ve got friends with 37 tb - 54tb of data backed up to their G Suite. Since I’m the only uploader on mine I get unlimited data.

Ah confusing. Google say unlimited only starts when you pay for at least 5 users. But they have not enforced the 1TB for the last few years. See https://servergems.com/unlimited-google-drive-storage/ When they start enforcing the 1TB the cost would be times 5. 

audio system

4 hours ago, bodiebill said:

and I believe Google is considerably faster than Backblaze

Backblaze speed simply varies with my upload speed here, but if you have tested and your experience is different, certainly rely on that. One thing I'm quite sensitive to is whether a backup cloud connection interferes with other Internet connections, and Backblaze does not, so I'm very happy with it.

I have a University Email and they (Texas) based on GMail and comes with unlimited storage for free.  I have not uploaded my music, ~4TB, as I am afraid to tempt fate.  I probably need to go read their policies.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

12 minutes ago, jcbenten said:

I have a University Email and they (Texas) based on GMail and comes with unlimited storage for free.  I have not uploaded my music, ~4TB, as I am afraid to tempt fate.  I probably need to go read their policies.

You should.  I have similar opportunities but they not acceptable.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

9 hours ago, Jud said:

Backblaze speed simply varies with my upload speed here, but if you have tested and your experience is different, certainly rely on that. One thing I'm quite sensitive to is whether a backup cloud connection interferes with other Internet connections, and Backblaze does not, so I'm very happy with it.

IBackblaze does not work with Windows Server 😐

audio system

I've been thinking about this topic for a while. What if your "gold" library was actually stored online, with backups, tagging and organisation fixed for you, and a set of "sync" software responsible for keeping your local devices up to date (maybe with rules, e.g. maximum artwork size, transcoding, only select certain music etc)?

bliss - fully automated music organizer. Read the music library management blog.

51 minutes ago, Dan Gravell said:

I've been thinking about this topic for a while. What if your "gold" library was actually stored online, with backups, tagging and organisation fixed for you, and a set of "sync" software responsible for keeping your local devices up to date (maybe with rules, e.g. maximum artwork size, transcoding, only select certain music etc)?

ewww ... sounds like Apple ["we know what you want before you know what you want"]

I know mine is just an idiosyncratic approach, but I have invested many hours tagging my flac Library in a most personal manner. It helps me create playlists of all my most enjoyable/high octane music depending on filters (in fb2k) that suit the mood of the moment. I can milk my collection for thrills in a way I wouldn't be able to do without the tagging. Plus I can do biographic stuff (you know how evocative music can be of life's episodes). Plus I like to "study" the evolution of music - the chronologically threaded historic influences on my favourite recordings - in my case mostly Rockabilly - how did that happen I ask myself constantly in delighted shock and awe.

I like to do the same with English Folk, and might take a similar interest in Classical music eventually.

I am not remotely interested in album art (often wrong for a particular ripped CD), other people's dates (often wrong or ambiguous for a given album or ripped CD), other people's spelling mistakes or other factual or technical errors. My genres are my own and I have a small number of other bespoke fields. I don't ever want listening suggestions. I loathe all commercial services. I know what I like. I know what stones I want to turn over next. I prefer to do my own thinking. Actually I insist on it.

I like this thread conceptually because although I have many back-ups that assure against drive failure, I am aware I don't have an off-site one. I don't yet see a cloud solution that would work for me and I'll probably just keep a HDD in the van. (I thought of asking a friend but would have to pester often to update.)