IGNORED

RAAL-requisite SR1a Has Landed

Just now, cfisher said:

Great to hear. Thanks for the quick reply.

I asked Mitch to write an article about measuring the SR1a and creating the filter, describing everything etc... He has been very busy with the release of HLC, so I don't know when he'll have time to write it up. 

Convolution tillers with headphones is a great thing. Mitch only needs one pair of the headphones to create the filter, then he can sell the filters to anyone who wants them. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

Well, since I am an HQPlayer user it would require me to dial back upsampling to 192k (and add DSD-to-PCM) which would then be an interesting a/b comparison (32fs without HLC vs 4fs with HLC).  If HLC is an overall winner it would significantly reduce the heavy lifting by the server.  Note: this is all RAAL-related; I doubt I am a candidate for HLC in my upcoming main system. 

I may have missed it but does Mitch do trials?

42 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Well, since I am an HQPlayer user it would require me to dial back upsampling to 192k (and add DSD-to-PCM) which would then be an interesting a/b comparison (32fs without HLC vs 4fs with HLC).  If HLC is an overall winner it would significantly reduce the heavy lifting by the server.  Note: this is all RAAL-related; I doubt I am a candidate for HLC in my upcoming main system. 

I may have missed it but does Mitch do trials?

Oh no. This is misinformation. 

The convolution filter for HQP, per Jussi's recommendation, is 352.8 kHz, split into mono left and right channels. This is perfect for going to 16fs or 32fs. It's what I do every day and it's fantastic. 

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Oh no. This is misinformation. 

The convolution filter for HQP, per Jussi's recommendation, is 352.8 kHz, split into mono left and right channels. This is perfect for going to 16fs or 32fs. It's what I do every day and it's fantastic. 

I could have sworn I read, and not made up, that the HLC had to come after HQP upsampling, and that it was 192k.  ?  So, please clear up this misinformation.  Are you saying Mitch will sell us HQP users the convolution settings?

38 minutes ago, ted_b said:

I could have sworn I read, and not made up, that the HLC had to come after HQP upsampling, and that it was 192k.  ?  So, please clear up this misinformation.  Are you saying Mitch will sell us HQP users the convolution settings?

There is no need to use HLC with HQP. Just have Mitch create the filters and load them into HQP. 

HLC is a different animal. 

And since RAAL does not involve room acoustics, it is a constant, Mitch can send out filters knowing only the RAAL response?  I assume he charges something for this?  I will contact him.  Thx

2 minutes ago, ted_b said:

And since RAAL does not involve room acoustics, it is a constant, Mitch can send out filters knowing only the RAAL response?  I assume he charges something for this?  I will contact him.  Thx

Headphones are headphone, with some strange exceptions I suppose. Mitch measures them with inner ear microphones and creates the filters. With the RAALs he adjusts them to several positions too, just to see what the difference is or if it matters etc...

He has a pair of RAALs that he has been measuring and working on filters for.