IGNORED

RAAL-requisite SR1a Has Landed

1 hour ago, TubeLover said:

Hey, mine didn't come with a cat included???

It was an option, an extra 100 bucks.

94628DD5-2DBF-4A0B-BE0D-72E2C94F0D6D.thumb.jpeg.fb3d9e1aabbf8a99bc57978c720bfd95.jpeg

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers with scan speak illuminator drivers.

Raal SR1a

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

Sorry it took some time to say something on my new Raal headphones I am not a very good writer.

Second is, I have never heard high end headphones before so I needed some time to get use to the experience. 

The first question I had was if the raals spoiled you from speakers. Well no they didn’t I still like my speakers but the raals do a few thinks better. Bass for instance it is very articulate and very well defined and because of that it sounds more realistic then with my speakers. Not surprisingly if a few milligrams of cone mass, instead of 55 grams (10” ) have to reproduce it. With regards to bass amount it depends on the recording, for me all via tidal, listed below for reference.

I would have liked the sound stage a little more in front of my face. The  depth seems to be projected from the drivers to behind your head. It’s like having your chin on the podium with the applauding people behind your head.

All in all these headphones are very nice to have really enjoyable, they are like a stethoscope into your system listening unfiltered to your systems character. 

How much break-in time does the raal needs? And also a clip for the cable would have been handy so you could clip it on your blouse.

• José James, Blackmagic via Tidal comes across as a nice bass amount. Very nice
  • Ane Brun, After The Great Storm, comes across as nice bass amount.
  • Kate Bush, Aerial, an endless sky of honey, the birds at at 19:20, the track very nice.

Raal SR1a

Under development:

1 hour ago, RickyV said:

It’s like having your chin on the podium with the applauding people behind your head.

All in all these headphones are very nice to have really enjoyable, they are like a stethoscope into your system listening unfiltered to your systems character. 

My experience too, though my chin was on the bell of the saxophone.  I ended up with the similarly revealing, though more delicate and less intense (5th row of the theatre?), Stax SR--009S. 

I think you hit the nail on the head with all of these uber headphones (RAAL, Stax, Abyss...)--it is not that they directly comparable or a substitute for great speakers.  They are at the same level, doing some things better, some not as well.  Maybe like comparing a Porsche 911 and a Mercedes S?  Both are magnificent, and if you are doubly fortunate to have both in your garage, you are likely to alternate depending on mood, route, weather, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, the bass (and of course the entire spectrum) is very agile. With so little stored energy, I would be interested in the relative quality of functional areas and planes or statistics. Especially bass. If so, which one can expose all other headphones as an average device?

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried one of the replacement/upgraded cables for the SR1a's? I know Moon has one, and apparently a company called YFS makes one, but I cannot even locate YFS. On Head-Fi there was very positive commentary about a cable custom built for the owner by Triton Audio Cables. Are there others anyone has come across?

JC 

3 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

Has anyone tried one of the replacement/upgraded cables for the SR1a's? I know Moon has one, and apparently a company called YFS makes one, but I cannot even locate YFS. On Head-Fi there was very positive commentary about a cable custom built for the owner by Triton Audio Cables. Are there others anyone has come across?

JC 

People are saying nice things on Head-Fi about the new RAAL-requisite silver cable. They are also saying nice things about the HSA 1b. I really don't want to spend another $4500. I wish RAAL-requisite would make a slightly less expensive version without the speaker taps and without the ability to drive regular headphones. Those are features I don't need and don't want to pay for.

6 hours ago, cfisher said:

People are saying nice things on Head-Fi about the new RAAL-requisite silver cable. They are also saying nice things about the HSA 1b. I really don't want to spend another $4500. I wish RAAL-requisite would make a slightly less expensive version without the speaker taps and without the ability to drive regular headphones. Those are features I don't need and don't want to pay for.

I did read some of the Head-Fi comments about that RAAL silver cable, but, in my experience, I do not generally tend to prefer the sound silver based cables produce. And, given how exceptionally fast the SR1's already are, and their extreme clarity, I really don't see silver as an ideal solution. 

JC

Has anyone tried the SR1a's with the outstanding Pass X25 amplifier? I realize that it's only rated for 25wpc, which would normally not be even remotely close to cutting it for the RAAL's, but that's pure class A output, and besides being a relatively huge 25wpc, in reality, the total available wpc of the amp, is roughly triple that.  

I recall that Herb Reichert briefly mentioned his thoughts on this pairing in a Stereophile review of the RAAL's a while back, but it was a fairly short commentary, as he was trying them out with a number of amps. Also, a number of Stereophile reviewers sometimes tend much more towards relatively lower level listening. Not that I'm ever rocking the house foundations, but I need to be certain an amplifier can drive the SR1a's solidly, even at higher levels when listening to rock.

JC

• 2 months later...

Chris, thanks for the update. I love my SR1a, as well. They have made the last year so much better than it otherwise would have been. Any plans to review the HSA-1b? I would love to know how it compares to the Constellation integrated.

Just now, cfisher said:

Chris, thanks for the update. I love my SR1a, as well. They have made the last year so much better than it otherwise would have been. Any plans to review the HSA-1b? I would love to know how it compares to the Constellation integrated.

I may review the HS1b, not sure. Rajiv is working on an article with the SR1a and HS1b, so it will probably be better than anything I can write :~|

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys, I continue to enjoy the SR1a every day. I believe I have the absolute best sound I've ever had through them right now. The Constellation Audio Inspiration integrated amp driving them is off the charts awesome. 

On another note, and I hope I'm not speaking out of turn, RAAL-requisite sent a pair to Mitch Barnett for measurement and to work with me on creating convolution filters to make the sound even better. Mitch sent me is preliminary opinion and measurements. As the are very preliminary, I'll only post his first two sentences. 

I hope he'll write up the whole process of listening and measuring and creating a filter to improve them even more. It would also be cool to see Roon integrate these types of DSP options like it does for Audeze headphones.

Anyway, here's Mitch:

"Chris, These sound and measure fantastic. I mean they are pretty close to ideal..."

Where would it be best to implement the dsp without loosing SQ? A dsp dac or dsp amplifier or one of those minidsp boxes?

Raal SR1a

Under development:

15 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys, I continue to enjoy the SR1a every day. I believe I have the absolute best sound I've ever had through them right now. The Constellation Audio Inspiration integrated amp driving them is off the charts awesome. 

So, Chris, you find the Constellation to provide even better sonic performance the the AR VT80SE combination that you were so impressed with early on? 

JC

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I've just taken the SR1a to another level completely. Stay tuned, more to follow. Hopefully a front page article. Y'all can do this as well, without expensive hardware purchases. 

What a way to start the week!

This is good news because I am fixing on wasting a bunch of money on KT150/170s to stick in an old Jolida amp.

13 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I've just taken the SR1a to another level completely. Stay tuned, more to follow. Hopefully a front page article. Y'all can do this as well, without expensive hardware purchases. 

What a way to start the week!

Cant wait!!!

JC

• 2 weeks later...

So, Chris, how will the convolution filters for the SR1a be released? Through Hang Loose or RAAL-requisite? Any sense of the time line for that?

11 minutes ago, cfisher said:

So, Chris, how will the convolution filters for the SR1a be released? Through Hang Loose or RAAL-requisite? Any sense of the time line for that?

Mitch designed them and it doing some final tweaks this weekend. It's up to Mitch how he wants to sell them. All I can say is they are fantastic. I didn't think the SR1a could get better, but it's now in the stratosphere. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Mitch designed them and it doing some final tweaks this weekend. It's up to Mitch how he wants to sell them. All I can say is they are fantastic. I didn't think the SR1a could get better, but it's now in the stratosphere. 

Great to hear. Thanks for the quick reply.