IGNORED

RAAL-requisite SR1a Has Landed

The speed and detail of these headphones is really something to behold. The bass is better than I expected as well. Perhaps too much reading into specs and opinions about how low a headphone must go with respect to frequency response. 

These things are really comfortable. I can wear them with my glasses on without an issue. Really cool. Much more to come. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I really really really wish there was a user manual for these that offered tips for placement on one's head. Specifically the differences that can be expected by moving the ear "flaps" in / out. Sure I can move them and hear for myself, but it's nice to have some guidence from the manufacturer. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 minutes ago, RickyV said:

I am not really a headphone guy but I saw some video’s and read some reviews and people seemed perplexed by the sound quality. The reason I do not really like headphones is that I like the soundstage in front of me and not in my head. I understood that raals image differently is that true?

These are a completely different experience. I'm a bit like you with an aversion to most headphones. Much more to come.

I figured out why these headphones caused the Schiit Vidar amps to go into protection mode. 

The ends of the RAAL headphone cables, near the left and right terminations that plug into the headphones, are made of metal. When the headphones are set on the table, the two metal piece touch. This causes the Vidars to protect themselves. Not sure if this is a design oversight by RAAL-requisite or if something else is afoot. 

162559_b3a0813c1504c78c8a1e60de1cd53647_orig.jpg

4 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Chris, I read "somewhere" that there is a tutorial available that talks about optimum placement of these headphones on your head. I'm trying to locate where I found it, and will pass it if I can recreate my steps and find it. I did a LOT of research on these, just not sure yet, where I read about that.

JC

That would be terrific. 

I’m still experimenting with placement and have them dialed in pretty well. But, would be nice to get some education. 

38 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Chris, two things that I hope will show up in your review

1. Dynamic range capability, loved the sound of Stax when I had them years ago but they couldn't handle "loud"

2.Value competitiveness vs something like Dan Clark Voce with an LTA Z10E

This will be a difficult one for me for a coupe reasons, but also should illuminate more about the SR1a.

1. I'm traditionally not a big fan of headphones, especially when I can turn my office chair and listen to my main system. Not suggesting one's system is better or worse than mine, but it's just what I'm used to and fortunate enough to have in my house. 

2. These headphones are unlike anything else on the market with respect to design and unlike 99.999% of headphones with respect to how they work on one's head. 

So far I believe these headphones have zero problems playing dynamic material at loud levels. They can make my ears hurt if I turn up the volume, yet still reproduce the impact, drum head detail, and air around instruments without fault.

Competitiveness compared to other headphones is tricky. For these I only had to purchase the cans and the interface box. I already had DACs and amps that I could connect. If I went with something like the Stax 009, which was my other frontrunner, I'd have had to purchase the cans and a very good electrostatic amp. For the money and my situation, these are a no brainer. 

Much more to come. Keep the feedback coming as well. 

P.S. I forgot to address my 1. above. These headphones aren't like headphones at all. I'm not averse to these and have worn them for probably 13 hours since yesterday. I've only turned my big system on once in that time. These are the non-headphone guys' headphones, as well as the traditional headphone guys' headphones. 

7 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Chris, everything I've hear about these mentions the incredible dynamics. They also mention the amazing speed and detail. A few reviewers have said that these headphones are lean and bright, and are not recommended for those who want a warm midrange, and magical upper frequencies. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks.

JC

Hi JC, my take on these is they are brutally honest. It’s exactly what I want in a product. However I can see why people may think they are bright (not at all lean though).  I think it’s best to have neutral cans that enable the listener to flavor them with something up the signal chain if desired. The other way around just doesn’t work because then everything sounds flavored no matter the upstream electronics. 

Everything about these is magical. Hearing music free from a speaker-mandated warmth is very freeing. I’m thinking about putting my McIntosh MC275 on these to see what a bit of lushness sounds like. 

I’m still a huge Stax fan. I get the reasons people lust over them. They are a bit like Leica digital cameras (not the analog M series). Consumers can get better performance with a different brand, but there’s something special about Stax. With the SR1a, I’m getting better performance and have the ability to flavor-to-taste with an amp or DAC of my choice. 

Much more to come. 

P.S. Will you be at AXPONA?

6 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Here is an informative review from Head-Fi of the SR1a's that I came across. In it, the reviewer had the opportunity to pair it with quite a number of amplifiers, and I find the commentary on that particularly interesting. Granted, the sound he got from the Thrax Spartacus 300 sounds right up my alley. Unfortunately, I'm about $65,000.00 short of the $68,000.00 price for using this to power headphones. Not to mention I doubt I could even afford to keep it in tubes with SIX 300B's! 

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/raal-requisite-sr1a.23620/reviews

Chris, save me, and try yours with that MC275!!! :)

JC 

Fired up the MC275 and immediately blew a tube & fuse 😭

3 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Wow, Chris, I am envious! I think we should do an AS "Reviewers Summit" so I can try these out.

I haven't had a chance to get out to a CanJam to give these a listen. I hope they make an appearance at AXPONA.

The discussion about brightness reminds me of similar debate that has raged for 10+ years with the Sennheiser HD800. It demands excellence in the amplifier and punishes when you don't provide it. OTOH, some of it is just tuning, and in subsequent years the manufacturer tweaked the design to address the treble peak. Maybe RAAL will make the, um, Requisite, tweaks over time.

It appears, from your experience, that the SR1a may be equally demanding, but then also extremely scalable, as you increase amp quality. I suspect the Pass XA-160s would reward you, after your hernia healed. :D

Agree, we need a summit! Bring your weight lifting belt :~)