IGNORED

RAAL-requisite SR1a Has Landed

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, TubeLover said:

I think you're in serious trouble powering the SR1a's with 50wpc. 150wpc solid state, and 100wpc tubedis what is recommended . I have read every available review, and even talked to two of the reviewers who got early SR1a's for review. I've not seen any reviewer that was able to power them with much less successfully (without running out of gas for anything but string quartets). One reviewer found that the otherwise excellent ARC Reference 75 tube amp (with 75wpc) couldn't cut it, and you may have noted earlier that Chris himself said the famous McIntosh MC275 tube amp which offers 75 wpc into 4,8 or 16 ohms ran out of gas. A number of 100wpc solid state designs have also worked disappointingly with the RAAL's. Be advised, they NEED power to perform optimally. Unfortunately, 50 wpc just isn't in the cards, I strongly suspect. 

JC

@The Computer Audiophile, sounds like you have to hook your Constellation Audio Inspiration Mono Amps.  If true what was quoted above, class D amps may be needed to provide that massive power and maintain a small footprint for headphone listening.  If not, I've got an Emotiva XPA-2 350 watt stereo amp in a box somewhere you can use.  Very affordable but not ergonomically friendly for headphones, would be funny though to have a 100 pound amp taking up over half your desk space for headphone listening. 

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

6 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Never ship anything audio related, or electronic, via UPS. 

Dealers that I have shipped products back and forth with, have said the same thing.   I feel your pain, it sucks waiting for products that get delayed or temporarily lost.  

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

@The Computer Audiophile, give a listen to Madonna's - Crazy for You, from the Celebration CD.  It has truly amazing bass at the beginning and vocals throughout the song.  Probably sounds fantastic on your Wilson's.  If your wife hears you playing it, she may ask you to slow dance with her 😉 bonus points.

9 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’ve been waiting for your first impressions! Happy to read them so far. 

The more you listen and the more you find the perfect placement of the headphones on your head, the better it gets. Plus, you still have the CJ amp to put in the chain!

I’d say these are the most amazing / breakthrough HiFi product in recent memory for me. I’ve had them paired with the VT80SE for several days and just can’t get enough. In fact, I setup a little table below my desk so I can easily use a few more DACs with the SR1a. 

62A45AEE-D799-4ECB-B8CE-41D1FADF9288.jpeg

Jesus Chris, is that a picture of your attic or an audio dealer 😉

• 1 month later...

A small discount if anyone is interested in these headphones.  I've worked with TMR on a few transactions, they're great people.

https://tmraudio.com/personal-audio/headphones-over-ear/raal-requisite-sr1a-floating-open-baffle-ribbon-headphones-sr1-a-earfield/

• 1 month later...

Thinking out loud here, would it be wise not to listen to these headphones during an electrical storm.  Or a big ass thunderstorm. I’ve got a great view of both downtown St. Paul. And Minneapolis and watch storms roll in an hour away while listening to music or watching tv.  I can just imagine a lightning strike and having my head vaporize 🤯

22 hours ago, sandyk said:

it would appear that something like a 50W/Channel Class A amplifier which should have a natural warmth due to no crossover distortion , and a decent bandwidth, would be ideal, and with a much flatter extended frequency response than when using Output Transformers.

Alex

I'd be curious if anyone could get a hold of an old Krell amplifier like this, or a high powered one and try it out.