IGNORED

RAAL-requisite SR1a Has Landed

Wow, Chris, I am envious! I think we should do an AS "Reviewers Summit" so I can try these out.

I haven't had a chance to get out to a CanJam to give these a listen. I hope they make an appearance at AXPONA.

The discussion about brightness reminds me of similar debate that has raged for 10+ years with the Sennheiser HD800. It demands excellence in the amplifier and punishes when you don't provide it. OTOH, some of it is just tuning, and in subsequent years the manufacturer tweaked the design to address the treble peak. Maybe RAAL will make the, um, Requisite, tweaks over time.

It appears, from your experience, that the SR1a may be equally demanding, but then also extremely scalable, as you increase amp quality. I suspect the Pass XA-160s would reward you, after your hernia healed. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Getting in more amps to review with the SR1a is seriously a blast. 

Now I need another tube amp or two to try. Any recommendations?

Chris, I'm really curious to know if RAAL's HSA-1A direct drive amp competes with the best you've achieved with the ARC (or PASS 😎) through the amplifier interface box.

Is the HSA-1A on your list?

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...

FYI for all - my review of the SR1a and HSA-1b combo should be up in the next few days.

On 8/22/2021 at 10:42 PM, Vangelis said:

From my experience, adding the subwoofer goes beyond complementing the SR1a, it completes it.

Very interesting report!

I didn't put this in my review, but I actually did try using the SR1a with an external sub in my system, a Voxativ Z-Bass unit. I did this by driving the sub from the RCA outputs of the DAVE, while the XLR outputs fed the HSA-1b amp.

The results were quite promising, but my room is difficult, and in the end I couldn't get the integration to be seamless. It's good to hear that you had better results. It's certainly worth trying.