IGNORED

RAAL-requisite SR1a Has Landed

9 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I really really really wish there was a user manual for these that offered tips for placement on one's head. Specifically the differences that can be expected by moving the ear "flaps" in / out. Sure I can move them and hear for myself, but it's nice to have some guidence from the manufacturer. 

Chris, I read "somewhere" that there is a tutorial available that talks about optimum placement of these headphones on your head. I'm trying to locate where I found it, and will pass it if I can recreate my steps and find it. I did a LOT of research on these, just not sure yet, where I read about that.

JC

5 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi JC, my take on these is they are brutally honest. It’s exactly what I want in a product. However I can see why people may think they are bright (not at all lean though).  I think it’s best to have neutral cans that enable the listener to flavor them with something up the signal chain if desired. The other way around just doesn’t work because then everything sounds flavored no matter the upstream electronics. 

Everything about these is magical. Hearing music free from a speaker-mandated warmth is very freeing. I’m thinking about putting my McIntosh MC275 on these to see what a bit of lushness sounds like. 

I’m still a huge Stax fan. I get the reasons people lust over them. They are a bit like Leica digital cameras (not the analog M series). Consumers can get better performance with a different brand, but there’s something special about Stax. With the SR1a, I’m getting better performance and have the ability to flavor-to-taste with an amp or DAC of my choice. 

Much more to come. 

P.S. Will you be at AXPONA?

Chris,

Thanks for your thoughts on the Raals. I am very interested to see what comes of you pairing it with the MC275.

Earlier this week, I had a hip procedure (not an operation, a fluroscopic injections treatment). If all works as they think it will, I should be able to make it to Axpona, which I VERY much hope to do.

JC 

On 2/15/2020 at 8:23 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

It’s really crazy. I wake up in the am without a hint of grogginess and am so excited to listen to my favorite music again for the first time. The last two nights I tossed and turned in bed thinking about getting up just to listen. 

I don’t recall ever being this enthusiastic about a HiFi product. Especially after becoming a bit jaded over the years with all the amazing stuff that I’m fortunate enough to have and / or use here. 

That's quite an amazing admission, Chris, especially, as you noted, given your exposure to so many truly superb audio products. All of this is doing nothing but whetting my appetite about these cans. And I was already pretty seriously interested even before you got this pair and started reporting on your early thoughts. I can absolutely appreciate dynamics, speed and detail, but need some richness in the mids and highs. Your experience, when you get an opportunity to hear them connected to your McIntosh MC275, is what is likely what will push me over the edge, one way or another. 

Very glad you are enjoying the experience with the SR1a's to such a degree. Every now and then, we need something new and remarkable to remind us what technology can achieve in audio, and what new listening frontiers might await us. 

JC

Here is an informative review from Head-Fi of the SR1a's that I came across. In it, the reviewer had the opportunity to pair it with quite a number of amplifiers, and I find the commentary on that particularly interesting. Granted, the sound he got from the Thrax Spartacus 300 sounds right up my alley. Unfortunately, I'm about $65,000.00 short of the $68,000.00 price for using this to power headphones. Not to mention I doubt I could even afford to keep it in tubes with SIX 300B's! 

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/raal-requisite-sr1a.23620/reviews

Chris, save me, and try yours with that MC275!!! :)

JC 

15 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Back at it this am, listening through the SR1a. 

@TubeLover, I'm checking on replacement tubes for the MC275. Do you have any other amp recommendations you'd like me to get in here as part of my evaluations?

Chris, thanks for trying out that combination. Sorry about the tube and fuse blowing. Any other tube amps in your audio inventory capable of driving these? Or maybe a Pass XA25 which Herb Reichert of Stereophile had great success with? I know you need to bring in the heavy boys to move those Pass XA160's!

JC 

12 hours ago, davide256 said:

Seems one reviewer liked these with the inexpensive Schiit VIdar. Kind of crazy that these need such high wattage, rules out the LTA products for amplification.

And they really do need the wattage recommended. I've ready every review and commentary on these, and its 150-200wpc solid state and 100wpc tube. A couple reviewers have been able to listen to quieter music, at quieter levels with a bit less, but no one wants those limitations. One reviewer tried them with the otherwise excellent Audio Research  Reference 75 tube amp, which produces a very solid 75wpc, and stated that it was clear the RAAL's were still a bit underpowered! 

JC

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Awesome!!!!!!

What DAC are you going to use? Can you try volume control in the DAC or a playback app? 

Cant wait to hear about your experience!!!

The DAC in my office/den system, where I will be listening to the RAAL's,  is the Modwright Elyse (no volume control). The source is a Sonore UltraRendu., so, again, no way to control volume that I can think of. I made an attempt to borrow a very good preamp that a reasonably nearby audiophile friend had, which he wasn't using, but he literally just sold it on Wednesday of this week. :(

JC 

18 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Definitely worth a shot. Can’t wait to read how it goes. That amp should be amazing. 

I can hardly wait either. Quick question, does bypassing having a preamp, and using the Roon volume alone cause any sound degradation or limitations? If this does not represent any limitations, as I am only using the single device (my DAC, with source information coming from my UltraRendu), adding a good preamp to the mix, would, at least theoretically, be a waste of money.

JC 

9 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

P.S. I switched back to the ARC amp and it's a night and day difference. I absolutely love what the ARC does with the SR1a. Stunning. 

Chris, can you talk a bit more about the differences you noted when listening to the MC275's vs the ARC. The reviews talk about the VT80 as though it is a bit dry and analytical and sounding not at all like tubes. Thanks.

JC

21 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The MC275 just isn’t very refined when driving the SR1a. It runs out of gas and has too much color for me. 

The VT80SE is not analytical at all compared to solid state designs, but I suppose it could be considered analytical compared to the MC275. I wouldn’t classify it as such, but I can see how one would. The VT80SE is so far a wonderful match for the SR1a. I need to really push it to determine if I can find its limit, but I’ll do that in the coming days. 

Thanks for the perspective, Chris. Much appreciated. I was tending, after your first comments, to think the MC275 might be a good match, from the perspective I have, but both not being very refined, and also running out of gas definitely is not a way to go with the RAAL's. Thanks very much,  this helped me clarify some things. 

JC

9 hours ago, PeterG said:

That's it--THIS PSYCHIC ABUSE MUST END!!!

Pulled the trigger a few minutes ago.  Though with only an MC275, I will have to settle for "magical" instead of "stunning", haha.  I'll report back after some listening.  For others on the fence or in search of a demo, there is a 14-day risk-free return policy.

Thanks, Chris!

Public Service Announcement. It is not at all well known, or even clearly identified by RAAL, but be careful with the risk free return policy. It ONLY applies to those who purchase directly from RAAL, not any of their authorized dealers. I originally went to the RAAL site, playing nice, and looked at their authorized dealers and purchased mine from one of them. I later found out the above info. I complained that RAAL had nothing I could find on their website even indicating that they sold the SR1a, much less mentioning the limited conditions of the money back guarantee. The dealer talked to RAAL, and they compromised by giving me a 7 day home trial, but even that isn't exactly ideal. The dealer I purchased from is in California and I'm in Michigan. Thats normally 4 day shipping for FedEx or Brown (occasionally stretching to 5, of late). So, from the point I receive the RAAL's, to be safe, I essentially have exactly two days to listen to them before packing them up and shipping them back if I choose to get the refund. 

I'm not saying that I expect to return them, I don't. Only pointing out the situation so you are all aware of how you must purchase them to get the 14 day risk free trial. I almost lost the option completely.

JC

9 hours ago, Energy said:

Thanks for giving me motivation to give them a try.

My headphone amplifier can only operate in Class-A to a certain degree, enough for all headphones including K1000.

Unfortunately at 50W into 8 ohms it changes to Class-AB operation.

I notice these SR1a's are 6 ohms with a power rating of 100W. If these are recommended 50W per channel, then it seems I have to use my 50W Class-A monoblock that's being using for the loudspeakers in living room just to power these.

It's going to be awkward having a headphone cable come from each monoblock but hey, it's audiophile right? 🙄

I think you're in serious trouble powering the SR1a's with 50wpc. 150wpc solid state, and 100wpc tubedis what is recommended . I have read every available review, and even talked to two of the reviewers who got early SR1a's for review. I've not seen any reviewer that was able to power them with much less successfully (without running out of gas for anything but string quartets). One reviewer found that the otherwise excellent ARC Reference 75 tube amp (with 75wpc) couldn't cut it, and you may have noted earlier that Chris himself said the famous McIntosh MC275 tube amp which offers 75 wpc into 4,8 or 16 ohms ran out of gas. A number of 100wpc solid state designs have also worked disappointingly with the RAAL's. Be advised, they NEED power to perform optimally. Unfortunately, 50 wpc just isn't in the cards, I strongly suspect. 

JC

4 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

No, I understood you just fine. I just assumed the tube had been in use since then... How they stop working is up to each tube.

Exactly. Just the other day, a tube told me if the conditions they were working under didn't improve, he was damned well going to stop working! :)

But seriously, as you might have noted in my handle here on the forums, I've experienced a fair amount of tubes over the years. I have seen the slowly fade away, over long periods, start to have issues that caused replacement before they failed, and any number of scenarios where they just went poof. The worst instance of that was when one of the famed Russian MIG tubes, the 6C33C, suddenly failed catastrophically and seriously damaged the amplifier it was in. There is no telling with tubes. I've seen them fail in the first 100 hours, and in a couple preamps, literally last for 10,000 hours. 

JC

Aaaaaaaarrrrggghhhhhhhhh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I just was informed that UPS lost my RAAL package for 2.5 days. They just finally located it a short time ago. Now, instead of being delivered on Monday, as scheduled, it won't be here until Thursday! :(

This kind of thing is one of a number of reasons why I HATE UPS! It also didn't help that they also recently went out of their way and damaged a well packed amplifier that the seller foolishly shipped with them, to me. For which I am still paying a price. And thats only the tip of the iceberg. Never ship anything audio related, or electronic, via UPS. You have no idea what you are risking. Trust me. I won't explain why here, or a big corporation like that would likely make me disappear! If you ever have shipped electronics with UPS and they made it, you just dodged a bullet.Nuff said!

And I just realized it is virtually a week until next Thursday. 😬

JC

You've read Chris raving about the combination. Here is a very, very good price on a mint ARC VT80SE amplifier. if you want to follow in his footsteps and get that incredible sound he describes with your RAAL's, here you go. No connection to the seller, but just came across it and thought someone here might want to jump on the deal.

JC

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649597767-audio-research-vt80se-priced-to-sell/?utm_source=featured_ad&utm_medium=web&utm_content=category&utm_campaign=category-featured-ad-click&utm_term=649597767