IGNORED

RAAL-requisite SR1a Has Landed

My Jot-R arrived today.  I will let it break in (Schiit says its ok to run with no load, etc) while I wait for updated shipping info on my SR1a's from the dealer.  They may be a couple weeks yet. :(  In the meantime, I am keeping my nostrils clean, ready for the Pearl.  :)

Seriously, I will use this time to unbox the dusty system and get it set up and running in a two box (server-NAA) system, sorting out what works and what doesn't, updating to HQP 4, etc etc.  I am sooo looking forward to getting back to listening to great music, and getting my system ready for its Colorado debut.  Then once the lower level is finished (we're about 50% right now, but in limbo) I can use what I learned to re-create down there.

1 hour ago, Summit said:

Keep in mind that audio signal will have to pass through the amplifier interface box, which will degrade SQ. What I'm trying to say is that even if we would use a “better amp” the outcome will be limited to the quality of interface box and I'm not convinced it is top-notch. It’s like using a midfi preamp in a high end audio system. With a direct-drive amp no interface box is needed so a good direct driven amp may sound as good or better than the SOTA amp paired with the interface box. 

Which leads to the question: what are the good tube-based direct-drive amps out there, if any?

My SR1as arrive this coming week; my Jot-R is here and waiting. :)

So UPS changed their mind again and delivered the RAALs today!  Yea!  I have done very little listening so far, but I very much like what I hear.  I am not using the correct cabling (just using some Mogami balanced while I search for my good audiophile cabling) but so far so good.  One thing though; there is not an overwhelming dynamism as some folks have described.  I'm wondering if it is due to break in, Jot-R, cabling, etc etc.

Question: if I decide to put my Microzotl tubed preamp in front of the Jot-R, I expect to use the pre's volume control.  Where should I set the Jot-R volume (woild be used as a sort of power amp only)?  All the way up?

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, since I am an HQPlayer user it would require me to dial back upsampling to 192k (and add DSD-to-PCM) which would then be an interesting a/b comparison (32fs without HLC vs 4fs with HLC).  If HLC is an overall winner it would significantly reduce the heavy lifting by the server.  Note: this is all RAAL-related; I doubt I am a candidate for HLC in my upcoming main system. 

I may have missed it but does Mitch do trials?

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Oh no. This is misinformation. 

The convolution filter for HQP, per Jussi's recommendation, is 352.8 kHz, split into mono left and right channels. This is perfect for going to 16fs or 32fs. It's what I do every day and it's fantastic. 

I could have sworn I read, and not made up, that the HLC had to come after HQP upsampling, and that it was 192k.  ?  So, please clear up this misinformation.  Are you saying Mitch will sell us HQP users the convolution settings?

And since RAAL does not involve room acoustics, it is a constant, Mitch can send out filters knowing only the RAAL response?  I assume he charges something for this?  I will contact him.  Thx