IGNORED

Article: Three Blind Mice Supreme Collection 1500 | A Treasure Trove Of Music

38 minutes ago, sutherla said:

BBE has been doing a really great job on the Japanese Jazz beginning with the samplers. They also have the “J Jazz Masterclass Series” that are full albums by musicians found on the sampler, currently there are 4 releases in the series.

1.     Tohru Aizawa Quartet - Tachibana

2.     Koichi Matsukaze – Earth Mother

3.     Takeo Moriyama – East Plants

4.     Makoto Terashita meets Harold Land – Topology

All of them are incredible IMO and it amazes me that this music has gone ignored for so long outside of Japan. All of the pressings I have on the BBE label are really good. I was lucky enought o spend some time in Japan over the years and had some friends that were really into the small jazz clubs. 

With regards to the TBM collection, Motohiko Hino “Ryuhyo” is one of the most incredible albums I have ever heard. I picked up the CD based on the cover and the description not having a clue what it would be. The first time I listened to it I was completely blown away, really amazing stuff. I actually found it for sale yesterday for $17.50 new so I picked up a couple of copies for my sons.

Agreed about “Ryuhyo.” On a couple of his other albums, Terumasa’s long-deceased drummer brother has a few “interesting “ treatments of old rock songs like  “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction,” “Angie,” Lady Jane,” “Dazed and Confused,” and “Stairway to Heaven.”  The first three are on “Sailing Stone,” which was recorded in NYC and distributed in the US on Gramavision.  The last two are on “It’s There,” on a Japanese label called Fun House, a label about which I otherwise know nothing.  Motohiko also appears on most of Terumasa’s albums, including “Hogiuta,” which I mentioned above, and behind other important Japanese musicians like Isao Suzuki and Masabumi Kikuchi.

Also, I forgot to add that, in addition to the Hino brothers, “Hogiuta” includes some monster bass playing by Cecil McBee, who is prominent in the mix, and percussion by Mtume, always a master of the craft.  I hadn’t realized it was recorded in NYC rather than Japan, but I shouldn’t have been surprised because both Hinos were based there in the seventies.  

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Midnight Sugar is a well - known audiophile LP and CD which commanded big $ until a few years back when it was reissued. It contains some of the biggest dynamic swings on piano and great quality. His other discs are quite good too like Misty. Enjoy!

4x20A circuits | Shunyata Triton + Typhon | Source 1: HDPlex HD100 PSU -> OCX clock + EtherRegen -> Paul Hynes SR4T + HDPlex HD500 PSUs -> Music PC w/JCAT XE nic, HQPlayer, Roon, Tidal / Qobuz |  TotalDAC D1 Twelve DAC + Mk II Streamer | Source 2: Acoustic Signature Ascona with Kuzma 4 Point tonearm | Koetsu Rosewood Signature cart | Pass XP-15 phono pre | Audionet Pre G2 preamp | Audionet Max mono blocks | Vivid Audio Giya Spirits |  4 JL Audio Fathom subs | Echole ICs /SCs / Siltech King jumpers, Shunyata/Audioquest PCs / Eth. Cs | Critical Mass CS2s -> components, Isoacoustics -> speakers + subs | Adona Eris II rack w/ Herbie's titanium footers | Fully treated and dedicated 2 channel room

On 2/14/2020 at 1:02 PM, ronfint said:

To add to the confusion, I’d like to recommend these two terrific compilation albums:

J-Jazz - Deep Modern Jazz from Japan 1969-1984

https://bbemusic.bandcamp.com/album/j-jazz-deep-modern-jazz-from-japan-1969-1984

and Volume 2:

https://bbemusic.bandcamp.com/album/j-jazz-volume-2-deep-modern-jazz-from-japan-1969-1983

Was listening to Vol. 1 today for the first time since I first got it.  What struck me the most is how well the Japanese players have mastered the vocabulary of John Coltrane, if not the emotion.  The technique is at an extremely high level and the players’ ears are pretty big.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

I'm going to be in Osaka next month. This could be dangerous. ;)

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

2 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

I'm going to be in Osaka next month. This could be dangerous. ;)

My experience last September was that it was easier to find American jazz than Japanese jazz in Japan, but I didn’t have a lot of time to go spelunking.  Good luck! Maybe you will find some gems. 

50 minutes ago, RobbT said:

An old favorite of mine in TBM-56 Mari Nakamoto III along with Isao Susuki & Kazumi Wantanabe. The first track "Georgia on My Mind" is the best rendition of that song that I have ever heard. The instrument spacing and soundstage, including depth on Mari's voice are fantastic and the guitar solo is epic. Definitely worth a listen!

+1  ... fantastic version indeed.  Here is the cover for those interested.

R-8784055-1468695495-5304.jpeg.jpg

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

On 2/15/2020 at 5:24 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Purchased and downloading now.

Hi Chris,

Are the BBE recordings similar in artist/musicianship/recording quality as the TBM albums?

Geoff

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

On 2/15/2020 at 9:47 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'd contact a local shop and have them work with Disk Union, the distributor for Craftman Records who reissued this collection. 

Hello,...you wrote "Then, I heard back from a representative of Craftsman Records. He connected me with a gentleman at Disk Union and arranged my purchase and shipment of the entire 40 CD collection! Last week the collection finally arrived. Wow, what a treat.  "

Would you please let us know the contact info for the actual contact from Craftsman Records so we can contact them directly.  I've gone over all the Disc Union links and other sources and it is not straightforward at all (and I do a LOT of buying from HK and Japan over the years,...this is another level of 'confusing').

Contacting a local shop in the Europe, Romania or the US for that matter is quite probably not going to yield much

if any success as they are likely to have the same results.

If you could, as it's not apparent on Craftsman's website or FB, would you at least IM the contact info?

Sounds like the best approach is for Craftsman to serve as intermediary with Disc Union and Explain everything

to get it queued up and connected.

I'm a big fan and holder or other TBM, FIM and LIM releases and like you, stumbled on the great of names like Honda,

Yamamoto and so many others through my first JVC, TBM, FIM and LIM XRCD and XRCD2 purchases years ago!

Been "addicted" every since...

Thank you for the help!

Legacy Audio CaliberXD custom, dual Legacy Foundation Subs with Legacy Wavelet, Esoteric P-02, D-02, C-02, and A-02, Cybershaft Custom Premium Limited OP21 10 mHz Clock, SHUNYATA TRITON v3 & TYPHON QR, Environmental Potentials EP-2050 & EP2750, CH Copper Busbar Main & GE Sub-panel, 20-amp dedicated circuits, Dual 10’ Ground Rods, CADWELD bonding, Avatar Acoustics AfterBurner8 duplexes (5), Elrod MASTER SERIES Statement Gold Powercords (4), Elrod Statement Gold Powercords (2), Elrod Statement Silver Powercords (1), Elrod Statement Gold XLR (2 pair), Shunyata SIGMA AES/EBU 110ohm (2), Shunyata SIGMA CLOCK-50 (3), Shunyata SIGMA XLR, Shunyata Anaconda Zitron XLR, B.M.C. PureUSB1, Elrod Statement Gold custom speaker cables, Elrod MASTERS SERIES SG JUMPERS (4), Adona AV45CS4, AV45, Composite Audio CF-2010, HRS DPX Damping Plates (11), Stillpoints UltraSS w/Ultra Bases

Computer Audio/Rip Playback: Apple MacBook Pro 15” 2019, 6-core i9, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD (Music Library, Playback S/W & O/S here), Audirvana+ v3, iTunes, etc….

3 minutes ago, zephyr24069 said:

Hello,...you wrote "Then, I heard back from a representative of Craftsman Records. He connected me with a gentleman at Disk Union and arranged my purchase and shipment of the entire 40 CD collection! Last week the collection finally arrived. Wow, what a treat.  "

Would you please let us know the contact info for the actual contact from Craftsman Records so we can contact them directly.  I've gone over all the Disc Union links and other sources and it is not straightforward at all (and I do a LOT of buying from HK and Japan over the years,...this is another level of 'confusing').

Contacting a local shop in the Europe, Romania or the US for that matter is quite probably not going to yield much

if any success as they are likely to have the same results.

If you could, as it's not apparent on Craftsman's website or FB, would you at least IM the contact info?

Sounds like the best approach is for Craftsman to serve as intermediary with Disc Union and Explain everything

to get it queued up and connected.

I'm a big fan and holder or other TBM, FIM and LIM releases and like you, stumbled on the great of names like Honda,

Yamamoto and so many others through my first JVC, TBM, FIM and LIM XRCD and XRCD2 purchases years ago!

Been "addicted" every since...

Thank you for the help!

I tried but here is the latest communication with them. 

Hi Chris,

At the moment we are not trying to export anymore copies, We are sorry about that.

Best regards

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Ok,...thank you Chris.

Legacy Audio CaliberXD custom, dual Legacy Foundation Subs with Legacy Wavelet, Esoteric P-02, D-02, C-02, and A-02, Cybershaft Custom Premium Limited OP21 10 mHz Clock, SHUNYATA TRITON v3 & TYPHON QR, Environmental Potentials EP-2050 & EP2750, CH Copper Busbar Main & GE Sub-panel, 20-amp dedicated circuits, Dual 10’ Ground Rods, CADWELD bonding, Avatar Acoustics AfterBurner8 duplexes (5), Elrod MASTER SERIES Statement Gold Powercords (4), Elrod Statement Gold Powercords (2), Elrod Statement Silver Powercords (1), Elrod Statement Gold XLR (2 pair), Shunyata SIGMA AES/EBU 110ohm (2), Shunyata SIGMA CLOCK-50 (3), Shunyata SIGMA XLR, Shunyata Anaconda Zitron XLR, B.M.C. PureUSB1, Elrod Statement Gold custom speaker cables, Elrod MASTERS SERIES SG JUMPERS (4), Adona AV45CS4, AV45, Composite Audio CF-2010, HRS DPX Damping Plates (11), Stillpoints UltraSS w/Ultra Bases

Computer Audio/Rip Playback: Apple MacBook Pro 15” 2019, 6-core i9, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD (Music Library, Playback S/W & O/S here), Audirvana+ v3, iTunes, etc….

• 4 weeks later...

Chris,

Great article and reviews!!!

• 2 months later...

Here is the list of the TBM releases that have an XRCD version, according to the TBM complete guide disc in Japanese of which I own a copy. I count 43 of them. I may have missed a few. 🙂

10,12,15,19,23,24,26,30,32,33,37,41,43,44,47,48,54,56,59,61,63,64,66,73,76,1005,1801/2,3004,3005,3007,3008,3009,5003,5009,5010,5041,5043,5044,5045,5046,9001,9002,nt014,

Cheers,

Bernard

Room: Gik Acoustics room conditioning | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Shunyata Everest + Shunyata Sigma NR v2 power cables | Source: Mac mini with LPS running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore OpticalModule + Melco S10 + Shunyata Omega Ethernet | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro Core Infinity | Speakers: Chord Company Sarum T speaker cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1