IGNORED

Article: Three Blind Mice Supreme Collection 1500 | A Treasure Trove Of Music

1 minute ago, bobflood said:

Thanks Chris, this brings back memories from the past. I owned a number of these over the years (and probably sold them for way too little). High-end shops used them as demo material in the 1980 -1990 era and that is how I got mine. I only sold them because I had played them to death. As you said, they are some of the best recorded, best mastered genius performances every made. Most were recorded to tape and mastered to vinyl and CD. They are not hi-res yet they sound every bit as good as any hi-res that I have heard and the CD and Vinyl mastering were impeccable. It was hard to tell the difference on high-end equipment. Just goes to show that the so called problems with digital could be overcome with some effort. They should be required listening for anyone who aspires to be a recording or mastering engineer.

ENJOY!!!

Well said Bob. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

7 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Wish I could read Japanese. This looks neat. 

https://diskunion.net/portal/ct/detail/1007346422

71QBv9bPi7L.jpg 711YJP6BUhL.jpg

BTW,

You can peek inside here:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/スリー・ブラインド・マイス-コンプリート・ディスクガイド-伝説のジャズ・レーベル-小川隆夫/dp/4905447798

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

11 minutes ago, bobbmd said:

@The Computer Audiophile Chris how did you get that collection on ROON did you add it yourself (by buying it) or is there a place to get it and download it I couldn't find it on ROON A+ TIDAL or Qobuz?

Perhaps you missed the article?

I had to purchase all the discs from Tokyo :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

14 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

TBM isn’t the only Japanese label with great content and sonics.  Not to get this thread too far off track, I commend the East Wind label to those interested in J-Jazz.  

https://jazzmf.com/east-wind-records-list/

That’s just a listing of the catalogue, not a sales site.  I have no idea how to score these records, most if not all of which were reissued on CD, other than the occasional offer of used versions on eBay.  The sound is pristine, if not a bit dry in some cases.  

For the most part, the issues by Japanese artists are more creative and less tradition-bound than the TBM stuff.  (Ironically, some of the stuff from American artists on the label couldn’t be more hidebound and predictable. Yes, Great Jazz Trio and LA4, I am talking about you.)

Almost any of the Hino’s are superb, with “Hogiuta” being unlike anything I ever have heard, very Japanese-specific, verging on avant-garde yet highly rhythmic.  It also is crazy dynamic, making it a fabulous system demo piece.  It’s one of the best things from both content and sonic viewpoints in this music hoarder’s pointlessly-large collection.

Alto saxophonist Sadao Watanabe is one of the J-Jazz musicians best known outside of Japan, with maybe 75 albums to his credit, including one (“Round Trip”) with Chick Corea, Miroslav Vitous, and Jack DeJohnette.  Much of Watanabe’s work has been either derivative or commercial schlock, but there are some serious, creative works in his discography.  “Recital” is my preferred album on the East Wind label.  It’s a live performance featuring a J-Jazz all-star lineup that includes reed player Kohsuke Mine, trombonist Hiroshi Fukumura, pianist Takehiro Honda, guitarist Kazumi Watanabe, and world-class percussionist Masahiko Togashi.

Yoshiaki Masuo is a guitarist best known for his work with Sadao Watanabe, but he spent some time in NYC.  “111 Sullivan Street” is a surprisingly conservative and “straight” album of ballads and standards, some solo, a couple in a trio with Bob Cranshaw and David Lee, and a couple with altoist Bob Mover.

Also worthy of your time are the Kikuchi, Mine, Imada, Masuda and Togashi albums.  The stuff by American artists Andrew Hill, David Friedman, Don Friedman, and Walter Bishop, Jr. is highly listenable, if not essential.  Two albums by Miles Davis sidemen Sam Morrison and Reggie Lucas are considered essentials of the electric jazz fusion genre.

You can sample some of this music on YouTube.

Why did you do this to me. Now I'm on a mission to find the unfindable :~(

24 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Why did you do this to me. Now I'm on a mission to find the unfindable :~(

EBay is a decent start.  

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

15 minutes ago, ronfint said:

To add to the confusion, I’d like to recommend these two terrific compilation albums:

J-Jazz - Deep Modern Jazz from Japan 1969-1984

https://bbemusic.bandcamp.com/album/j-jazz-deep-modern-jazz-from-japan-1969-1984

and Volume 2:

https://bbemusic.bandcamp.com/album/j-jazz-volume-2-deep-modern-jazz-from-japan-1969-1983

NICE!

Thanks so much!!!