IGNORED

Article: Three Blind Mice Supreme Collection 1500 | A Treasure Trove Of Music

24 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Why did you do this to me. Now I'm on a mission to find the unfindable :~(

EBay is a decent start.  

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

38 minutes ago, sutherla said:

BBE has been doing a really great job on the Japanese Jazz beginning with the samplers. They also have the “J Jazz Masterclass Series” that are full albums by musicians found on the sampler, currently there are 4 releases in the series.

1.     Tohru Aizawa Quartet - Tachibana

2.     Koichi Matsukaze – Earth Mother

3.     Takeo Moriyama – East Plants

4.     Makoto Terashita meets Harold Land – Topology

All of them are incredible IMO and it amazes me that this music has gone ignored for so long outside of Japan. All of the pressings I have on the BBE label are really good. I was lucky enought o spend some time in Japan over the years and had some friends that were really into the small jazz clubs. 

With regards to the TBM collection, Motohiko Hino “Ryuhyo” is one of the most incredible albums I have ever heard. I picked up the CD based on the cover and the description not having a clue what it would be. The first time I listened to it I was completely blown away, really amazing stuff. I actually found it for sale yesterday for $17.50 new so I picked up a couple of copies for my sons.

Agreed about “Ryuhyo.” On a couple of his other albums, Terumasa’s long-deceased drummer brother has a few “interesting “ treatments of old rock songs like  “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction,” “Angie,” Lady Jane,” “Dazed and Confused,” and “Stairway to Heaven.”  The first three are on “Sailing Stone,” which was recorded in NYC and distributed in the US on Gramavision.  The last two are on “It’s There,” on a Japanese label called Fun House, a label about which I otherwise know nothing.  Motohiko also appears on most of Terumasa’s albums, including “Hogiuta,” which I mentioned above, and behind other important Japanese musicians like Isao Suzuki and Masabumi Kikuchi.

Also, I forgot to add that, in addition to the Hino brothers, “Hogiuta” includes some monster bass playing by Cecil McBee, who is prominent in the mix, and percussion by Mtume, always a master of the craft.  I hadn’t realized it was recorded in NYC rather than Japan, but I shouldn’t have been surprised because both Hinos were based there in the seventies.  

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

On 2/14/2020 at 1:02 PM, ronfint said:

To add to the confusion, I’d like to recommend these two terrific compilation albums:

J-Jazz - Deep Modern Jazz from Japan 1969-1984

https://bbemusic.bandcamp.com/album/j-jazz-deep-modern-jazz-from-japan-1969-1984

and Volume 2:

https://bbemusic.bandcamp.com/album/j-jazz-volume-2-deep-modern-jazz-from-japan-1969-1983

Was listening to Vol. 1 today for the first time since I first got it.  What struck me the most is how well the Japanese players have mastered the vocabulary of John Coltrane, if not the emotion.  The technique is at an extremely high level and the players’ ears are pretty big.

2 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

I'm going to be in Osaka next month. This could be dangerous. ;)

My experience last September was that it was easier to find American jazz than Japanese jazz in Japan, but I didn’t have a lot of time to go spelunking.  Good luck! Maybe you will find some gems. 

• 1 year later...

I like the Terumasa Hino, Kohsuke Mine, and Teruo Nakamura titles (although the latter has a throwaway vocal track so bad as to be laughable). These all are a bit more '70's cutting edge than the Yamamotos.