IGNORED

Most Mellifluous Motor

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

Here's one for @gmgraves ...

...And my favorite car (visually) in all the world to boot. A1963 Ferrari short-wheelbase, 250 GT Berlinetta Lusso. The car is, (IMHO), perfectly proportioned and utterly gorgeous. There are only three cars that can can legitimately compete for the title “the world’s most beautiful automobile” (again, IMHO): the original Jaguar E-Type from 1961-67, the Fiat/Ferrari 246 Dino coupe, and the 1963 Ferrari Berlinetta Lusso. 

George

6 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Nice car. One recently sold in Europe for the equivalent of Sixty Million Dollars!

It is probably the worlds most valuable car. Ironically, if you had shown up in Maranello at the factory in early Spring of 1963, you could have bought one of the factory team cars for about $5K (how’s that for ROI). At that time, they were just last year’s race cars and of little to no value to anyone. 36 were made in all, and of those only about 42 remain...😉🤑

George

2 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Dunno, maybe it's the question of 250's gearbox (I have never driven one) but the guy changes gears real slooow.

Gated shifter, and syncros that aren't as great as todays. If it even has syncros. Plus, as mentioned above, cost of replacement.

No electron left behind.

17 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

All beautiful cars, George.  I also like the Alfa boat-tail and the GTV.

The early 911 is not exactly bad looking either...

I owned an Alfa GTV-6 for many years, and I loved it. Sold it reluctantly when I moved from the SF Bay Area to the Reno/Sparks NV area. I replaced the stock OHC 2.5 liter V-6 with the three liter version of the Alfa V-6. I was getting 220 BHP at the rear wheels (dyno tested) after adding a “hot rodded” ECU, higher-lift cams, ported and relieved inlets and exhaust, custom tubular headers, and a larger cold-air inlet system. The car weighed 2500 pounds. Because of the car’s deDion rear suspension and limited slip transaxle, the car had perfect 50/50 weight distribution.  And it handled like it was on rails. It would pull it’s 7250 RPM redline in high gear with ease (stock was 6250) giving a top speed of 159 MPH, and a 0-62 time of 5.6 seconds. It was fast, handled well and gorgeous (though not in the same league as the previously named cars).

1985471440_GTV-6inPescadero.thumb.jpg.26a974d72dea20c3634c9a0c5003f153.jpg

George

13 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Even the lowly 'murican V-8 can sound nice...

True but calling it “American” is a bit of a stretch. The cars were built in England by Ford’s Special Projects Division. And the race team was run from “Ol Blighty”. One can buy a “continuation” series replica from South Africa quite reasonably (under US$100K).

George