IGNORED

Off Topic Airplane Talk

mansr

1 hour ago, mansr said:

I don't know every plane either (far from it), but the ones I've flown on had both props spinning the same direction. If you say there are models with counter-rotating props, I believe you.

I personally think it is a better idea, but I am also not an aeronautical engineer. It could be that some manufacturers don't do it simply for cost reasons.

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, mansr said:

Manufacturing and keeping inventory of all engine parts in left and right versions would certainly add cost. I suppose the benefit depends on the size of the plane. Also bear in mind that the plane must be able to fly on one engine, so the trim surfaces to balance the forces are always needed. What's an example of a plane with counter-rotating props?

The P-38 for sure had them.  I think Diamond Aircraft twins have them as well. Piper aircraft have them.

It is much safer to have counter rotating propellers versus identical spinning propellers, when one engine fails. Twins with propellers spinning the same way have a "critical engine" that if fails will cause more controllability problems than if the other engine had failed.

No electron left behind.

2 hours ago, mansr said:

That's true for a piston engine. I was thinking of turboprops.

I don't know about all turboprops, but I have flown a King Air. They have props that spin in the same direction and I always wondered why. The propeller is not directly attached to the shaft in a Pratt & Whitney PT6 engine, it is free wheeling. I thought it would be as easy as changing the orientation of the fan blades that the engine pushes air over to make the prop spin the other direction. Am I wrong? Have I not thought about this enough?

4d1Ii.jpg

No electron left behind.