gellie

Server Advice for running Roon

Rate this topic

Looking to purchase a dedicated server to run Roon and dismount ny external HD from my iMac.
Is there a significant advantage to using Nucleus or SonicTransporter vs a MacMini(with 16Gb of Ran and 2tb SSD I5 chip)? The Mini(used is a fraction of the price of the former.

17 minutes ago, gellie said:

Looking to purchase a dedicated server to run Roon and dismount ny external HD from my iMac.
Is there a significant advantage to using Nucleus or SonicTransporter vs a MacMini(with 16Gb of Ran and 2tb SSD I5 chip)? The Mini(used is a fraction of the price of the former.

I think this highly depends on the rest of your system. If the server connects directly to your DAC via USB for example, every component will matter (power supply, motherboard, RAM, OS, etc) but if the server is more upstream and before an audiophile switch (like the EtherREGEN) results will become more immune to the level of the server quality. At least in my experience.

Roon server (Mac Mini/i7/SSD/16GB/Uptone DC mod/external SDD via firewire/Uptone Audio JS-2 LPS) Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Cables CAT6 UTP ethernet, Transparent premium AES/EBU, Nordost Leif Red Dawn analog RCA, Kimber 8TC speaker cables, custom star-quad power cables with Oyaide termination Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) | Audio-technica ATH-M50 Software High Sierra | Roon | Tidal | Qobuz Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, 0.0001pf, balanced) | Vibex one 6R power distributor | Uptone EtherREGEN | Emo Systems EN-70HD network isolator | Jensen CI-1RR isolator

Thanks. Current system:

Squeeze Box Touch connected to Oppo 105 via USB feed into Marantz 7005 AVR. Using second zone with Adcom GFA 550. 

If I upgrade my streaming I might consider attaching server to it.

On 2/12/2020 at 9:16 PM, skatbelt said:

I think this highly depends on the rest of your system. If the server connects directly to your DAC via USB for example, every component will matter (power supply, motherboard, RAM, OS, etc) but if the server is more upstream and before an audiophile switch (like the EtherREGEN) results will become more immune to the level of the server quality. At least in my experience.

Agree. I have the same experience too.🙂

dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - La Sound Olympia PC, Tara Labs Zero Evo AES; dCS Vivaldi DAC - Siltech Double Crown PC - Tara Labs 30LE XLR; dCS Vivaldi Clock - Shunyata Sigma Digital PC - Canare 12g-SDI BNC; Mutec Ref10 SE-120 - Shunyata Sigma Digital PC - AR Cox Triple C BNC; Roon Server / Uptone EtherRegen / Uptone JS-2 / Pachanko Ethernet "Itération"; Spectral DMC-30SS MKii - Siltech Double Crown PC - Nordost Tyr2 XLR; Spectral DMC-360 MKii - Tiglon 2000A PC - AR RTP6 Abs. - Transparent Reference G5 spk cable; Rockport Atria MKi, Shunyata Triton V2 + Typhon - Sigma HC PC, Thixar SMD Ultimate Rack + CMS Platinum MKiii

https://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=124319&extra=page=1