IGNORED

Server Advice for running Roon

gellie

Looking to purchase a dedicated server to run Roon and dismount ny external HD from my iMac.
Is there a significant advantage to using Nucleus or SonicTransporter vs a MacMini(with 16Gb of Ran and 2tb SSD I5 chip)? The Mini(used is a fraction of the price of the former.

17 minutes ago, gellie said:

Looking to purchase a dedicated server to run Roon and dismount ny external HD from my iMac.
Is there a significant advantage to using Nucleus or SonicTransporter vs a MacMini(with 16Gb of Ran and 2tb SSD I5 chip)? The Mini(used is a fraction of the price of the former.

I think this highly depends on the rest of your system. If the server connects directly to your DAC via USB for example, every component will matter (power supply, motherboard, RAM, OS, etc) but if the server is more upstream and before an audiophile switch (like the EtherREGEN) results will become more immune to the level of the server quality. At least in my experience.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

On 2/12/2020 at 9:16 PM, skatbelt said:

I think this highly depends on the rest of your system. If the server connects directly to your DAC via USB for example, every component will matter (power supply, motherboard, RAM, OS, etc) but if the server is more upstream and before an audiophile switch (like the EtherREGEN) results will become more immune to the level of the server quality. At least in my experience.

Agree. I have the same experience too.🙂

dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - Siltech Double Crown PC, Tara Labs Zero Evo AES; dCS Vivaldi DAC - Siltech Double Crown PC - Tara Labs Zero Evo XLR; dCS Vivaldi Clock - Siltech Double Crown PC - Viard Platinum BNC; Mutec Ref10 SE-120 - Shunyata Sigma Digital PC - AR Cox Triple C BNC; Music Server - La Sound Olympia PC; Spectral DMC-30SS MKii - Crystal Ultimate Dream PC; Spectral DMC-400RS - Tiglon 2000A PC - AR RTP6 Abs. - Transparent Reference G5 spk cable; Rockport Atria MKi, Shunyata Triton V2 + Typhon - Sigma HC PC, Thixar SMD Ultimate Rack + CMS Platinum MKiii / Tripoint Troy Signature BLK

https://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=124319&extra=page=1

• 3 weeks later...

@gellie similar situation for me.

I am looking for alternatives to my Mac Mini (mid 2010) to run Roon Core. But can't find real ones.

Fact is, that I am still buying a lot of CDs (and vynil too, but that's another story) and need a machine capable of ripping cds and run Roon Core.

I consider any Win based solution not a real alternative.

In fact, I am also using iTunes to my sync my music on the smartphone while being compressed, and in this case, iTunes is still the best. Isn't it?

Sources: Analog: Goldnote Giglio, Rega Exact+Rega Aria; Digital: Denon DVD A1 UD & Mac-mini + Rega DAC-R. Amps: Solid State: Omega Audio Integrated Mono; Tubes: Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL+ZOTL40 mk II.

Speakers: Ascendo D7-C.

I am running Roon core on a 2011 Mac mini right now, it sits in a closet and I never have to think about it. However, because it's running Mac OS I know how to interact with it without learning linux or command line commands, etc... I have found that using a good Roon endpoint thats connected to the network, Optical Sonore Signature Rendu SE in my case, greatly reduces the impact of the server on the quality of the music you get out of your system.

Specs are a 60GB SSD, 16GB of RAM, and all music on an external HDD

No electron left behind.

On 3/1/2020 at 2:52 PM, Argonath said:

@gellie similar situation for me.

I am looking for alternatives to my Mac Mini (mid 2010) to run Roon Core. But can't find real ones.

Fact is, that I am still buying a lot of CDs (and vynil too, but that's another story) and need a machine capable of ripping cds and run Roon Core.

I consider any Win based solution not a real alternative.

In fact, I am also using iTunes to my sync my music on the smartphone while being compressed, and in this case, iTunes is still the best. Isn't it?

I made the move away from iTunes. I purchased a Roon Nucleus. I am temporarily using an attached HD to it and its working great. (might make leap and install a 2TB SSD in the Nucleus) I have ripped a few CD to my Mac and dragged them over to the Nucleus pretty easily. You could also attach a CD ripper directly to the Nucleus had it should rip it directly to your library. Oh and also switched from Apple music to Tidal. I guess mid life crisis. LOL

8 minutes ago, gellie said:

I made the move away from iTunes. I purchased a Roon Nucleus. I am temporarily using an attached HD to it and its working great. (might make leap and install a 2TB SSD in the Nucleus) I have ripped a few CD to my Mac and dragged them over to the Nucleus pretty easily. You could also attach a CD ripper directly to the Nucleus had it should rip it directly to your library. Oh and also switched from Apple music to Tidal. I guess mid life crisis. LOL

Give Qobuz a try as well. I, and many others, find it sounds better too.

No electron left behind.

Apple announced that iTunes was being phased out so even if it is the "best," you need an option B.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

On 3/2/2020 at 5:10 PM, AudioDoctor said:

I am running Roon core on a 2011 Mac mini right now, it sits in a closet and I never have to think about it. However, because it's running Mac OS I know how to interact with it without learning linux or command line commands, etc... I have found that using a good Roon endpoint thats connected to the network, Optical Sonore Signature Rendu SE in my case, greatly reduces the impact of the server on the quality of the music you get out of your system.

Specs are a 60GB SSD, 16GB of RAM, and all music on an external HDD

@AudioDoctor

thanks for the advice. How would I use this Sonore Rendu if as software for library management, I have Roon, and Nucleus as Roon Core? Wouldn't I need in this case only a CD Ripper?

Sources: Analog: Goldnote Giglio, Rega Exact+Rega Aria; Digital: Denon DVD A1 UD & Mac-mini + Rega DAC-R. Amps: Solid State: Omega Audio Integrated Mono; Tubes: Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL+ZOTL40 mk II.

Speakers: Ascendo D7-C.