TubeLover

Truly High Efficiency, High Quality, Nearfield Usable, Affordable Speakers, Do They Exist?

Rate this topic

I have the opportunity to acquire a really superb 2a3 based SET amp (3.5wpc) at a great price from a friend. This is a wonderful amplifier, with a great design, and the finest parts. My problem is whether there are any high quality, affordable,and high sensitivity speakers that will work with it in my circumstances. My office/den is 10 x 10 x 8, with the limitation that it must also house my desk, an equipment shelf, filing cabinets, and a few other things. Based on this, the speakers will be in the nearfield, no more than 5-5.5 feet or so from the listening position, 5-6 feet apart (again dependent on size)and within a foot to a foot and a half of the front wall, depending on speaker depth I'm hopeful these speakers could be found, reasonably affordable (bought used) to maximize value for dollar. While I do have a main, primary system downstairs, I'm probably only able to sit down and listen too that 8-10 hours a week. While working in the office/den, and also surfing the net researching things, handling finances, etc. etc. I'm listening up there a 35 hours a week, so this systems performance is very important to me for that reason. 

I'm certainly aware of many larger highly efficient speakers, mostly expensive speakers, though not any that can be used in the nearfield for my needs. And there especially seems to be a dire shortage of high efficiency monitors, which would probably work best in this situation, although a small footprint floorstander could also work. Any recommendations, suggestions or expertise in this matter would be immensely appreciated. Thanks.

JC

at only 5 ft away you can get the same SPL at lower efficiency than in your main system at a greater distance

I unfortunately don't have any other ideas for you.

On 2/12/2020 at 3:35 AM, RickyV said:

Highly recommended!

JM

Nearfield Desk System: PC with JRiver MC > Sonore microRendu > Schiit Gungnir USB DAC > 6CB5A Amp  >Dave's Cables > Omega Super 3 Desktop Speakers on 1-3/4" Maple Butcher Block Table

My "Living Room" System: Sony HAP-Z1ES Player, 2 Pass Labs XA60.5 (Mids/Lows), Pass Labs XA30.5 Amp (Highs), First Watt B4 & B5 Crossovers, Nuforce MCP-18 Preamp, Oppo BDP-103D Video Player, Parasound 275v2 Amp (Center), Parasound 275v2 Amp (SL, SR) Paradigm 90P Full Range Speakers with Powered Subwoofers, Paradigm CC Center Channel, Paradigm Mini Monitor Surrounds, Sony KDL46XBR9 Monitor