IGNORED

Truly High Efficiency, High Quality, Nearfield Usable, Affordable Speakers, Do They Exist?

I have the opportunity to acquire a really superb 2a3 based SET amp (3.5wpc) at a great price from a friend. This is a wonderful amplifier, with a great design, and the finest parts. My problem is whether there are any high quality, affordable,and high sensitivity speakers that will work with it in my circumstances. My office/den is 10 x 10 x 8, with the limitation that it must also house my desk, an equipment shelf, filing cabinets, and a few other things. Based on this, the speakers will be in the nearfield, no more than 5-5.5 feet or so from the listening position, 5-6 feet apart (again dependent on size)and within a foot to a foot and a half of the front wall, depending on speaker depth I'm hopeful these speakers could be found, reasonably affordable (bought used) to maximize value for dollar. While I do have a main, primary system downstairs, I'm probably only able to sit down and listen too that 8-10 hours a week. While working in the office/den, and also surfing the net researching things, handling finances, etc. etc. I'm listening up there a 35 hours a week, so this systems performance is very important to me for that reason. 

I'm certainly aware of many larger highly efficient speakers, mostly expensive speakers, though not any that can be used in the nearfield for my needs. And there especially seems to be a dire shortage of high efficiency monitors, which would probably work best in this situation, although a small footprint floorstander could also work. Any recommendations, suggestions or expertise in this matter would be immensely appreciated. Thanks.

JC

On 2/12/2020 at 3:35 AM, RickyV said:

Highly recommended!

JM

Nearfield Desk System: PC with JRiver MC > Sonore microRendu > Schiit Gungnir USB DAC > 6AH4 Linestage > 6CB5A Amp  >Dave's Cables > Omega Super 3 Desktop Speakers on 1-3/4" Maple Butcher Block Table

My "Living Room" System: Sony HAP-Z1ES Player, 2 Pass Labs XA60.5 (Mids/Lows), Pass Labs XA30.5 Amp (Highs), First Watt B4 & B5 Crossovers, Nuforce MCP-18 Preamp, Oppo BDP-103D Video Player, Parasound 275v2 Amp (Center), Parasound 275v2 Amp (SL, SR) Paradigm 90P Full Range Speakers with Powered Subwoofers, Paradigm CC Center Channel, Paradigm Mini Monitor Surrounds, Sony KDL46XBR9 Monitor

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2020 at 12:16 AM, TubeLover said:

I have the opportunity to acquire a really superb 2a3 based SET amp (3.5wpc) at a great price from a friend. This is a wonderful amplifier, with a great design, and the finest parts. My problem is whether there are any high quality, affordable,and high sensitivity speakers that will work with it in my circumstances. My office/den is 10 x 10 x 8, with the limitation that it must also house my desk, an equipment shelf, filing cabinets, and a few other things. Based on this, the speakers will be in the nearfield, no more than 5-5.5 feet or so from the listening position, 5-6 feet apart (again dependent on size)and within a foot to a foot and a half of the front wall, depending on speaker depth I'm hopeful these speakers could be found, reasonably affordable (bought used) to maximize value for dollar. While I do have a main, primary system downstairs, I'm probably only able to sit down and listen too that 8-10 hours a week. While working in the office/den, and also surfing the net researching things, handling finances, etc. etc. I'm listening up there a 35 hours a week, so this systems performance is very important to me for that reason. 

I'm certainly aware of many larger highly efficient speakers, mostly expensive speakers, though not any that can be used in the nearfield for my needs. And there especially seems to be a dire shortage of high efficiency monitors, which would probably work best in this situation, although a small footprint floorstander could also work. Any recommendations, suggestions or expertise in this matter would be immensely appreciated. Thanks.

JC

I’m running Magnepan 1.7’s temporarily off of 1 watt class A in a 12x 12 room, only loss is lowest bass and really loud. Just do better than 85 dB speaker efficiency and avoid ported speakers like the plague in a small room. 

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I'm honestly, and completely shocked that you found you could even remotely drive Maggie 1.7's with 1 watt. I once tried a 20 watt SET amp with my .7's and it could not even begin to drive them. I then tried a friend's pair of tubed monoblocks that were rated at 60wpc with similarly poor results. They didn't begin to work until I brought in much more powerful amp. 

JC

@TubeLover how did it go with the Omega’s? Have listened to them?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

Ricky, 

Most unfortunately, the wonderful amp I was going to buy was severely damaged in transit. After it was returned to it's previous owner, he contacted me indicating it was a complete loss. That ended this story, sadly. I was awaiting the arrival of the amp, and had placed an order with Omega, which required 4-6 weeks for delivery. I had to cancel that same order. Great disappointment in so many ways.

JC

Bummer. I bought an American made 300B tube amp from a fellow in Korea several years ago. I had high hopes but when it arrived the chassis had sagged due to poor packing and very heavy OPTs. 

I can heartily recommend the Omegas. I have owned two pair and they really shine in a near field setup. I use Linear Tube Audio(David Berning design) electronics with them and find it to be an end game setup for me.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

7 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Ricky, 

Most unfortunately, the wonderful amp I was going to buy was severely damaged in transit. After it was returned to it's previous owner, he contacted me indicating it was a complete loss. That ended this story, sadly. I was awaiting the arrival of the amp, and had placed an order with Omega, which required 4-6 weeks for delivery. I had to cancel that same order. Great disappointment in so many ways.

JC

Ah, so that why you went earfield. I think it will not disappoint. Still looking for a pre-amp then?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

4 hours ago, mourip said:

Bummer. I bought an American made 300B tube amp from a fellow in Korea several years ago. I had high hopes but when it arrived the chassis had sagged due to poor packing and very heavy OPTs. 

I can heartily recommend the Omegas. I have owned two pair and they really shine in a near field setup. I use Linear Tube Audio(David Berning design) electronics with them and find it to be an end game setup for me.

I can see how the Linear Tube Audio electronics would be great with the Omega's. My friend has the MicroZOTL MZ2 preamp. 

. Nice system you've put together. 

JC

2 hours ago, RickyV said:

Ah, so that why you went earfield. I think it will not disappoint. Still looking for a pre-amp then?

A very kind local audiophile has offered to loan me a high quality preamp from his second system so I can optimally evaluate the RAAL's. They ship out to me today, from California. Can't wait to experience them!

JC

8 hours ago, mourip said:

This is good info for me and a project I have in the works, thanks.

No electron left behind.

On 2/25/2020 at 12:34 AM, TubeLover said:

I'm honestly, and completely shocked that you found you could even remotely drive Maggie 1.7's with 1 watt. I once tried a 20 watt SET amp with my .7's and it could not even begin to drive them. I then tried a friend's pair of tubed monoblocks that were rated at 60wpc with similarly poor results. They didn't begin to work until I brought in much more powerful amp. 

JC

I believe maggies  are current vs voltage sensitive. And it helps a lot  using a JS-2 for the MZ2 power supply. I suspect the SET amps are dynamic on voltage but low on current

generation as I always seem to see them with high efficiency horn speakers.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 3 weeks later...

The basic trade off of driver design trading low frequency output vs efficiency says that if you found such a super efficient 1.7w power-able speaker, it would have a distinct lack of low end.  

If you insist on trying this out, I'd be looking for a fully horn speaker, (a Klipsch?) as my first stop. A Klipsch LaScala?

Brad     

Brad Lunde

www.LoneMountainAudio.com (High End Consumer Importer to the Trade) and www.TransAudioGroup.com (High End Pro Audio Importer to the Trade)

Brands we import to the US are ATC, Tube Tech, Drawmer, MUTEC, Bettermaker 

Brands from the US we distribute are A Designs, Auratone, Daking, LatchLake and Mojave