IGNORED

Robot arm holds shtick up and even sings!

rando

The really interesting question is simply - will A.I. destroy humanity some day.? :)

Wikipedia:

Existential risk from artificial general intelligence is the hypothesis that substantial progress in artificial general intelligence (AGI) could someday result in human extinction or some other unrecoverable global catastrophe.[1][2][3] It is argued that the human speciescurrently dominates other species because the human brain has some distinctive capabilities that other animals lack. If AI surpasses humanity in general intelligence and becomes "superintelligent", then this new superintelligence could become powerful and difficult to control. Just as the fate of the mountain gorilla depends on human goodwill, so might the fate of humanity depend on the actions of a future machine superintelligence.[4]

The likelihood of this type of scenario is widely debated, and hinges in part on differing scenarios for future progress in computer science.[5] Once the exclusive domain of science fiction, concerns about superintelligence started to become mainstream in the 2010s, and were popularized by public figures such as Stephen Hawking, Bill Gates, and Elon Musk.[6]

We can't say we didn't get warning signs..

The technology is getting smarter with each day - evolution of Boston Dynamics robots 2012-2019

Will the situation get out of our control some day.? 9_9

• 2 months later...

Still derailing the thread..

Since @rando said:

On 2/12/2020 at 1:32 AM, rando said:

You're going on ignore.  x-D

I'm sure he won't mind x-D

Anyway it seems AI may help us to fight the coronavirus (before it eats us alive) :D

BBC - Can AI help find a cure for coronavirus?

At the same time (also BBC) :

'As a pandemic grips the world, a person could be forgiven if they had forgotten about another threat to humanity's way of life - the rise of robots.
For better or worse the robots are going to replace many humans in their jobs, analysts say, and the coronavirus outbreak is speeding up the process.
"People usually say they want a human element to their interactions but Covid-19 has changed that," says Martin Ford, a futurist who has written about the ways robots will be integrated into the economy in the coming decades.
"[Covid-19] is going to change consumer preference and really open up new opportunities for automation."
Companies large and small are expanding how they use robots to increase social distancing and reduce the number of staff that have to physically come to work. Robots are also being used to perform roles workers cannot do at home.
With health experts warning some social distancing measures may need to be in place through 2021, robot workers may be in greater demand.' 

BBC - Will Covid-19 speed up the use of robots to replace human workers?

In short - is it possible that Covid-19 will bring us closer to our end in a way that we don't much expect.? :)

3 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Still derailing the thread..

Since @rando said:

I'm sure he won't mind x-D

Anyway it seems AI may help us to fight the coronavirus (before it eats us alive) :D

BBC - Can AI help find a cure for coronavirus?

At the same time (also BBC) :

'As a pandemic grips the world, a person could be forgiven if they had forgotten about another threat to humanity's way of life - the rise of robots.
For better or worse the robots are going to replace many humans in their jobs, analysts say, and the coronavirus outbreak is speeding up the process.
"People usually say they want a human element to their interactions but Covid-19 has changed that," says Martin Ford, a futurist who has written about the ways robots will be integrated into the economy in the coming decades.
"[Covid-19] is going to change consumer preference and really open up new opportunities for automation."
Companies large and small are expanding how they use robots to increase social distancing and reduce the number of staff that have to physically come to work. Robots are also being used to perform roles workers cannot do at home.
With health experts warning some social distancing measures may need to be in place through 2021, robot workers may be in greater demand.' 

BBC - Will Covid-19 speed up the use of robots to replace human workers?

In short - is it possible that Covid-19 will bring us closer to our end in a way that we don't much expect.? :)

Very likely IMHO. However, a Resource-based Economy would allow for total automation without the dreadful effects of poverty and starvation caused by massive unemployment as will happen under current capitalism IMHO.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

• 4 months later...

Seems that we can sleep peacefully after all..

We asked GPT-3, OpenAI’s powerful new language generator, to write an essay for us from scratch. The assignment? To convince us robots come in peace

"GPT 3 can write poetry, translate text, chat convincingly, and answer abstract questions. It's being used to code, design and much more.  I'll give you a demo of some of the latest in this technology and some of how it works. GPT3 comes from a company called OpenAI. OpenAI was founded by Elon Musk and Sam Altman (former president of Y-combinator the startup accelerator). OpenAI was founded with over a Billion invested to collaborate and create human-level AI for the benefit of society."

Open A.I. Jukebox

We’re introducing Jukebox, a neural net that generates music, including rudimentary singing, as raw audio in a variety of genres and artist styles. We’re releasing the model weights and code, along with a tool to explore the generated samples.

openai.com-jukebox

Seems the artists are not (relatively) necessary anymore.. 

Thanks, Elon! B|

So what's your favorite Open A.I. piece, guys.?  

:)

• 3 months later...
On 4/20/2020 at 11:53 AM, Teresa said:

Very likely IMHO. However, a Resource-based Economy would allow for total automation without the dreadful effects of poverty and starvation caused by massive unemployment as will happen under current capitalism IMHO.

RBE is just another -ism that would lead to totalitarianism, political repression, restrictions of human rights, poor economic performance and cultural and artistic censorship.

mQa is dead!

35 minutes ago, lucretius said:

RBE is just another -ism that would lead to totalitarianism, political repression, restrictions of human rights, poor economic performance and cultural and artistic censorship.

Don't forget this gem:

“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”  – Captain James T. Kirk

mQa is dead!

Not as smooth as Boston Dynamics but sill.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

• 1 month later...
Things are happening fast:
If a monkey could play a video game, imagine what you could do (or for that matter how good you could be at your favorite video game :laugh:).

Now imagine what could happen if the things went wrong - e.g. not exactly the right software, a bug, virus or Russian hack...

BTW would you be ready to volunteer in such human trials?

Image result for chip in brain

An interesting interview with Anders Sandberg:

• 2 months later...
On 2/5/2021 at 1:43 AM, sphinxsix said:
Things are happening fast:
If a monkey could play a video game, imagine what you could do (or for that matter how good you could be at your favorite video game :laugh:).

Now imagine what could happen if the things went wrong - e.g. not exactly the right software, a bug, virus or Russian hack...

BTW would you be ready to volunteer in such human trials?

Image result for chip in brain

An interesting interview with Anders Sandberg:

Ok, here's a chimp playing a video game using only his mind, gamers should love it! B|

Ps. This might mean that we are a step or two away from human brain chips with possibility of adding internet connection and hence 'mind to mind' connection with other people.

Which in connection with the development of AI/AGI technology could bring us a step or two closer to technological singularity.

How would that influence audio technology remains an open question..;)

What year is the singularity?

Google says:

While futurist Ray Kurzweil predicted 15 years ago that the singularity—the time when the abilities of a computer overtake the abilities of the human brain—will occur in about 2045, Gale and his co-authors believe this event may be much more imminent, especially with the advent of quantum computing.

B|
1 hour ago, DuckToller said:

how about download music directly to your brain ?

I'd save space for some other stuff, we have streaming after all. That is unless MQA proves to not be vaporware after all, in such case wouldn't like to have to get MQA certificate for some thing in my brain.. Is there anyone who would.? 

One more thing - what will music be like when we begin to get close to singularity.?