IGNORED

Tidal Sound Quality

STC

20 hours ago, kumakuma said:

Have you actually tested streaming services versus locally stored files?

I have. I have directly contrasted locally stored rips with Tidal streams of the same albums. The only differences that I noted were the fact, that often, streams from Tidal will include short drop-outs (lasting no more than a second or two) that, of course, my local rips don’t have. 
One comment about Tidal MQA. Most of the Tidal MQA titles (classical) are old analog recordings from the Everest and FFSS Decca catalogs (there are some newer titles, of course, but mostly they seem to be older ones). The Everest Catalog was recorded in the late 1950’s, largely by Bert Whyte (older readers will remember that Bert was a regular columnist with the late, lamented, “Audio” Magazine for many years), so they are all from almost 60 year old half-track,15 ips analog masters recorded on Scotch 206 magnetic 1/4” tape! While they sound fine, mostly; any advantages attributable to MQA are largely lost on such ancient material.

George

I find that my rips, played back on Audirvana, sound significantly better than they do played back on JRiver. Of course, I can’t compare JRiver playback of Tidal because The current version of the software (JRiver 26?) doesn’t support Tidal playback on the Mac (although, I seem to recall that it is possible to access Tidal on JRiver on the Windows version, but it’s not as easy or as seamless as it is on Audirvana)

George

On 2/10/2020 at 1:33 PM, sandyk said:

In that case you must have a lot of CDs that were made after the start of the Loudness wars, or your CD ripping leaves a lot to be desired due to poor ripping techniques including the choice of writer and the PSU used.

Yes, some CDs were rushed out at the beginning of the CD era that were inferior to the LP mastering where more care was taken in many cases, and the lower maximum output levels used in the AAD days often showed up deficiencies in the player , Preamplifier areas etc.

If the exact same recording from Tidal sounds better than a local rip then you have MAJOR problems in the Digital area of your PC/Server ¬¬ Don't expect great results from a typical Laptop or a bog standard Mac Mini, as they are usually too electrically noisy, especially where USB is used.

Actually you are right, like for like, the rip does sound better. I ripped this and compared:

https://tidal.com/album/111213079

Shame my favorite albums weren't done so well. 

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 7:13 AM, gmgraves said:

I find that my rips, played back on Audirvana, sound significantly better than they do played back on JRiver. Of course, I can’t compare JRiver playback of Tidal because The current version of the software (JRiver 26?) doesn’t support Tidal playback on the Mac (although, I seem to recall that it is possible to access Tidal on JRiver on the Windows version, but it’s not as easy or as seamless as it is on Audirvana)

A dedicated Audiophile S/W player for the particular O.S. usually sounds better.¬¬

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, STC said:

It is difficult to reliably do AB test as far music is concerned. If you take few seconds sample and compare them you will notice the difference. Once you know the track by heart it is hard to unhear the best version in your brain and we will fill in the missing info in the inferior version.  

I wish

8 hours ago, Rexp said:

I wish

After NUMEROUS replays of the same track they may start to sound the same, but perhaps more like the inferior version as concentration lapses ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

10 minutes ago, Rexp said:

I found this track good for identifying the differences, the streamed Tidal version is more diffuse sounding than the download with weaker bass, its easy to spot:

https://tidal.com/track/111213084

I have a rip of this from 2009, but will have to get back to listening later today

3 hours ago, Rexp said:

I found this track good for identifying the differences, the streamed Tidal version is more diffuse sounding than the download with weaker bass, its easy to spot:

https://tidal.com/track/111213084

I am not surprised that this sounds a little better than Tidal. My 2009 rip of tracks such as "What Am I to You sound pretty good.

Interestingly, this time the Bonus DVD has AC3 5Ch. Audio instead of LPCM

On 2/9/2020 at 10:51 PM, sandyk said:

I should have qualified this by adding streaming from  Tidal over Qobuz, but we were talking about Tidal and

Quobuz, not local streaming

Neither does it surprise me that you are unable to hear the kind of differences that are blindingly obvious to members other than those who post almost exclusively in the General area of the forum, which is the area where the closed minded sceptics like yourself mainly congregate, instead of areas like Rajiv's massive thread where they invariably use far better equipment than you use. :P

Note that Chris, for example, realises the need for vastly improved mains power in a 60HZ 117 VAC country , and other things such as the need to better match signal levels without the need for excessive attenuation !

I think that you exaggerating. In a good (or very good) audio system a small difference can be heard if directly compare the two, but it’s no night and day difference IME.

2 hours ago, Summit said:

I think that you exaggerating. In a good (or very good) audio system a small difference can be heard if directly compare the two, but it’s no night and day difference IME.

I didn't claim that it was a night and day difference. However it should be quite obvious to those with better than average gear,  and those who do not have an Expectation Bias that they should sound the same.

6 hours ago, Rexp said:

You can download the Tidal version here if you want to compare to your rip:

https://store.tidal.com/my/album/112707015

Thanks, but I do not feel the need for Tidal or any other paid music service .

14 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

@The Computer Audiophile

I think this thread should be moved to Objective sub-forum. Please delete @sandyk posts as they are not based on any first hand experience with Tidal or any other paid services.

My experiences are based on paid Downloads from both HDTracks and Linn Records, as well as direct listening to their, and samples from other sources.

Note also that your new childish Objective Music Forum elsewhere is not needed as we already have a suitable area .

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/forum/13-music-analysis-objective-subjective/