IGNORED

Tidal Sound Quality

STC

Finally, I have decided to stream music and choose Tidal HiFi. However, the sound quality was not as good as playing my original CD rips through the JRiver. The classical master version sounded good but Norah Jones Don't go away (master) did not have the bite that I was used to. Here are the measurements which probably explains why I find the CD rips through JRiver sounded better.

83302418_TIDALDIFFHagnstM.thumb.png.7a2533be02e6bdce365e17f47b877380.png

The HiFi version is slightly louder than the master. Having said that I preferred the "Master" version. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

TidalHifiandMaster.thumb.png.ffc2c1d5d9854a158baf7ce9e9cd4897.png

Both files did not extend beyond 20 plus KHz.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

JRandTidalmaster.thumb.png.627af75e08c22ab872b8b48ced068cdf.png

This is the final output (in digital domain). The original file in my library was ripped from Norah Jones SACD album. The version in the JRiver library is the PCM layer ripped with iTunes. It is 16/44.1kHz version. All files were streamed through 24/96 project setting of Reaper. The DAC was set at 96000 sampling rate. One thing is clear from this that all three files were differently mastered. I will attempt another measurements with EQ'ing the Tidal output to match the JRiver and see if the SQ is to my liking.

1. Comparing the Tidal MQA version with the CD rip, there is about 20dB increase at 20KHz. The progressively increase slope begins around 2000Hz. That explains why I found the Tidal version sounded rather mellow. 

2. There is a possibility that a mellower SQ version was uploaded to Tidal for audiophiles mainstream music. it could be a way to encourage audiophiles to buy the better version in physical format. 

3. The MQA version had less smoother peaks comparing the lossless version of the same. 

4. I think I was listening to unfolded MQA because the Tidal app most likely will be doing the job. Can anyone confirm this?

5. The biggest surprise was identical files stream through two different digital cable sounded different. They are supposed to send the data to the DAC and wasn’t expecting any difference.