IGNORED

Tidal Sound Quality

STC

7 hours ago, sandyk said:

Streaming will never sound quite as good as a high quality local rip, even with the exact same source material.

This will be obvious to most with a half decent set up using JRiver 26 for example. ¬¬

Actually the opposite is true, most CD rips sound utter crap. Luckily there are some great masterings on Tidal. 

On 2/9/2020 at 7:38 PM, STC said:

Finally, I have decided to stream music and choose Tidal HiFi. However, the sound quality was not as good as playing my original CD rips through the JRiver. The classical master version sounded good but Norah Jones Don't go away (master) did not have the bite that I was used to. Here are the measurements which probably explains why I find the CD rips through JRiver sounded better.

83302418_TIDALDIFFHagnstM.thumb.png.7a2533be02e6bdce365e17f47b877380.png

The HiFi version is slightly louder than the master. Having said that I preferred the "Master" version. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

TidalHifiandMaster.thumb.png.ffc2c1d5d9854a158baf7ce9e9cd4897.png

Both files did not extend beyond 20 plus KHz.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

JRandTidalmaster.thumb.png.627af75e08c22ab872b8b48ced068cdf.png

This is the final output (in digital domain). The original file in my library was ripped from Norah Jones SACD album. The version in the JRiver library is the PCM layer ripped with iTunes. It is 16/44.1kHz version. All files were streamed through 24/96 project setting of Reaper. The DAC was set at 96000 sampling rate. One thing is clear from this that all three files were differently mastered. I will attempt another measurements with EQ'ing the Tidal output to match the JRiver and see if the SQ is to my liking.

Was it this album:

https://tidal.com/album/151824

On 2/10/2020 at 1:33 PM, sandyk said:

In that case you must have a lot of CDs that were made after the start of the Loudness wars, or your CD ripping leaves a lot to be desired due to poor ripping techniques including the choice of writer and the PSU used.

Yes, some CDs were rushed out at the beginning of the CD era that were inferior to the LP mastering where more care was taken in many cases, and the lower maximum output levels used in the AAD days often showed up deficiencies in the player , Preamplifier areas etc.

If the exact same recording from Tidal sounds better than a local rip then you have MAJOR problems in the Digital area of your PC/Server ¬¬ Don't expect great results from a typical Laptop or a bog standard Mac Mini, as they are usually too electrically noisy, especially where USB is used.

Actually you are right, like for like, the rip does sound better. I ripped this and compared:

https://tidal.com/album/111213079

Shame my favorite albums weren't done so well. 

1 hour ago, STC said:

It is difficult to reliably do AB test as far music is concerned. If you take few seconds sample and compare them you will notice the difference. Once you know the track by heart it is hard to unhear the best version in your brain and we will fill in the missing info in the inferior version.  

I wish